News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

city badge

Started by lee, October 16, 2015, 09:37:06

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

up on the city website there is a piece on the city badge

i for one would love a return back to our old badge..i have never bonded with the current one

my new tatty :)

Hesperus

It's a great idea by the club, I think most fans don't really connect with parts of the current crest. Eagles and stars?? I grew up with the one Lee has tattooed, but personally I'd like something new. I like the current shield with the three rivers (or what ever it's supposed to signify) but on a round badge maybe?  Or I really liked the Manchester coat of arms but that wil probably be a bit too old fashioned for most. Good move by the club though.

Rowley Birkin QC

bluebrendan

I think they're looking at a new design now because the Registered Trade Mark has to be re-registered every 10 years and will be due for renewal in 2017 as the current badge was introduced in 1997.

Hopefully we'll go back to a roundel with a variation on the old-style badges like the one in Lee's tattoo.

Swiss

I quite like the Eagle, but it doesn't really have anything to do with City... Only that the Romans founded Manchester (Named after boobs btw!) and the Eagle was prominent in their miltary insignia.

Would be nice to include something from St Marks: His sigil was a winged Lion... but Lions are sooo cliché in football. Don't remember any winged Lions though.
And with Muslim owners would a Christian St. be popular...  A Lion also features on the Man Coat of Arms.
There's also an Antelope on there too.

The nickname: Cityzens... communist overtones: Hammer Sycle and Stars...
Or could go a bit Ying-Yang on the roundel design to fit in with the Zen part...

Sticking with the roundel design, maybe a moon incorporated...

I quite like the Tudor rose

The 3 rivers... looks a bit Addidas to me, but at the same time quite sharp.

The Ship for the old industry.

But then there is the Bee's on the Manc coat of arms for industry.

The Cotton industry...

Is the traditional badge a bit outdated, the following clubs have dared to be different:

Spurs
Everton
Wolves
Bolton
Birmingham
Notts Forrest

What's the feeling on a non-crest badge?
Something Modern and simple?

lee

id be happy with the new badge without the fookin bird and stars..looks gash

gavin

Just give us back the round one from the 60's, 70's and 80's and be done with it. Oh and the Manchester Coat of Arms in Cup finals ta.

Rowley Birkin QC

Both New York City and Melbourne City have roundel badges - so what ever retro or new design they look at, I reckon something round is on the cards.

zacc

like the ship , would have ref to the 3 rivers & worker bee.

Swiss

Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah - I like that one Lee  8)

Swiss

Would they go for the St Marks cross's?

Just noticed on new Yorks badge it's got a pentagon probably to symbolise the 5 corners and Melbourne's got a heart! Clever.

Aside from the cross, what else could we have... The Roses?

Rowley Birkin QC

In the glass door / window version in Lee's pic - there are small St Mark's crosses at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Where is that photo taken Lee?

lee

im not sure ken..found it on the men website..i cant work it out if its actually real or been photo shopped to make it look like its on the glass?
i quite like it as well

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: lee on October 17, 2015, 01:10:13

Apparently that was on a window of the club shop.

If anyone wants to add some official input to the club you can do so by going to this forum....

https://city-voice.vcfeedback.com/forums/Forums/Details/eca773a3-bdbf-4e08-a664-e9e48fe7e164

gavin

It isn't bad to be fair but I'd still rather the round badge King Colin, Tony Book etc wore. That, to me, is our badge and will be forever.

nimrod

Quote from: gavin on October 17, 2015, 22:06:06
It isn't bad to be fair but I'd still rather the round badge King Colin, Tony Book etc wore. That, to me, is our badge and will be forever.

Yeah I like the same one Gav I also like a touch of maroon as well............but tbh Im happy to leave it up to the bloke who pays for everything, the lion one is ok for me if they choose that

Not keen of the colours of the one on the window above, blue isnt right ...too dark (like the colour of those horrible shirts in the 90's)

bry the guy

I like the one with the red rose but i think there is a copy right issue with that one.Manc coat of arms should be no prob and i like that too.

Swiss

Quote from: nimrod on October 18, 2015, 03:46:56
Yeah I like the same one Gav I also like a touch of maroon as well............but tbh Im happy to leave it up to the bloke who pays for everything, the lion one is ok for me if they choose that

Not keen of the colours of the one on the window above, blue isnt right ...too dark (like the colour of those horrible shirts in the 90's)

You mean, Lazar Blue!!!

nimrod

Quote from: Swiss on October 18, 2015, 14:38:47
You mean, Lazar Blue!!!

yeah, or it could be Laser blue   ;D

zacc

Quote from: Swiss on October 17, 2015, 07:44:06
Would they go for the St Marks cross's?

Just noticed on new Yorks badge it's got a pentagon probably to symbolise the 5 corners and Melbourne's got a heart! Clever.

Aside from the cross, what else could we have... The Roses?

worker bee represents industrial North  ?

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Some nice designs on the consultation forum.

City63

I take it the red rose represented Lancashire & Manchester is not now in it.

Lekos

The ones with the Eagle and three stars and the last one are awful.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: City63 on October 21, 2015, 23:19:04
I take it the red rose represented Lancashire & Manchester is not now in it.

Which is why personally I've always preferred the "Three River" stripes on the shield - which we had for a brief period (a season or two) before the red rose appeared on the shield around 1971.

City63

The motto is pointless too

City63

Quote from: lee on October 17, 2015, 01:10:13

Are there some words  between the waves& the 3stripes?

City63

Swiss

Quote from: City63 on October 21, 2015, 23:40:27
Are there some words  between the waves& the 3stripes?

yer, you can see it better in one of the pics above, it's players names.

City63

Quote from: Swiss on October 22, 2015, 00:08:00
yer, you can see it better in one of the pics above, it's players names.
Ah right,ta.

nimrod

Quote from: City63 on October 21, 2015, 23:45:36
Not just as dark..

thats it the Everton/City shirt

fucking horrible

Lekos

Best shirt that, you old grumpy git.

Lekos

Though this one isn't far behind (you grumpy old sod)

guidebridgeblue

We should never have got rid of the last one. (Heard it was a copyright reason we stopped using it?) the current one is hideous.

nimrod

Quote from: Lekos on October 22, 2015, 10:14:30
Best shirt that, you old grumpy git.

best City shirt (and badge).... imo of course  ;)

Rowley Birkin QC

I've been wading through the comments regarding the badge on the club's City Voice forum. Even though, as an old traditionalist, I'd love to see a version of the round badge reinstated, I have to acknowledge that a significant number of fans would seem to be quite happy if the current badge is retained.

Thinking about it I suppose it's hardly surprising, as a whole generation of City fans have grown up with it and are now invested in it.

So perhaps we could combine the two? I know compromise solutions often don't sit easily with everyone, but I'm now speculating as to whether or not some way should be found of combining elements of a revised old style round badge with elements of the current one?

The stars should certainly go (I think most people hate them), but I don't mind the eagle - so perhaps something along the lines of this design posted on City Voice by CityBlUe75 -

There's some details of this design that I don't like - but in terms of the overall look, I think this is interesting

gavin

Rowley Birkin QC

Well, that's a "No" vote from Gavin  ;D

If you are a City fan in your teens or your early / mid 20's our current badge is pretty much all you've known. So in a rush back to tradition are we rejected what they might want out of hand? I'd like to go back to the purely round badge as much as you guys - but is that fair?

I'm not advocating the above design (I don't like the stripes behind the shield, the colour scheme is off, and getting rid of the motto scroll would clean things up), but I'm not sure we can just expunge the current badge from our history like it never happened. Like I said, I was surprised how many contributors on the City Voice badge discussion forum wanted to keep the current badge or change very little.

Swiss

If we were called the eagles then i could understand... Having said that I don't mind it.

nimrod

I really dont think we should change it again

Yeah Im an old c--t and I like the old round one but lets just keep the new one

Rowley Birkin QC

Like nimmers, I love the old badge - but I'm really not sure another radical change is the right way to go.

The current badge - and certainly the eagle - are recognised world-wide now. Might as well keep it... just lose those bloody stars!

If the club want all the clubs' badges in the City family to be round - then why not just put the current badge inside a round border (minus the bloody stars...)

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Swiss on October 26, 2015, 23:35:55
If we were called the eagles then i could understand... Having said that I don't mind it.

A reminder that City have used the eagle before on club materials as early as 1960-61 (though not the shirt obviously)

[Image stolen - at least second hand - from an unknown City forum. Apologies to whoever took this]

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The rags used it aswell on a Wembley shirt iirc

lee

the bird and the stars have to go..
i dont mind the rest of it but the round badge is the one and always will be...to me

gavin

I've had this 20 years now.

Stick yer eagle up your arse.

Swiss

Bit painful to tattoo it there!?

gavin

Yes, it probably would be! No offence meant, twas a joke. To be honest I don't mind the eagle badge that much though having it on a shield on a kit cheapens the whole kit. The City badge for me is just the round one with ship and rose but it would be as I've been carrying it around with me for so long!

As for the stars, they missed an opportunity when we won the fourth title to add a fourth star and make them mean something at least. Then they could perhaps have gone to just the one star on winning the European Cup and thence left it to be added to at every subsequent European Cup win.

lee

i thought the stars represented 3 relegations

Rowley Birkin QC

Shouldn't they be below the badge then  :D

Hesperus

Very interesting pic of the Eagle from the club handbook Rowley! That at least explains to me where the Eagle on the current badge came from because it's exactly the same. I quite like it now, Let's keep it!  :)

Rowley Birkin QC

BBM is correct though. The rags used the eagle as well, only once as far as I know, on the post-Munich 1958 Cup Final shirt, when a popular myth arose that it was a phoenix (rising from the ashes). It wasn't...

This eagle WAS part of the official City of Manchester coat of arms, redesigned in 1958 by a Mr H. Ellis Tomlinson - although it's hard to spot. Small multiple eagles atop "municipal crowns" adorn the coat of arms "mantle" (that's the swirly ribbon stuff around the helmet) -

The eagle was supposed to represent the city's important role in the aircraft industry (apparently) - and both City and the rags adopted it for various purposes at different times around the late 50's and early '60's.

Although all subsequent versions of Manchester's coat of arms are founded on the 1958 version, it has been simplified in some aspects over the years and one feature dropped has been the eagles and crowns on the mantle.