News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

city badge

Started by lee, October 16, 2015, 09:37:06

Previous topic - Next topic

nimrod

I really dont think we should change it again

Yeah Im an old c--t and I like the old round one but lets just keep the new one

Rowley Birkin QC

Like nimmers, I love the old badge - but I'm really not sure another radical change is the right way to go.

The current badge - and certainly the eagle - are recognised world-wide now. Might as well keep it... just lose those bloody stars!

If the club want all the clubs' badges in the City family to be round - then why not just put the current badge inside a round border (minus the bloody stars...)

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Swiss on October 26, 2015, 23:35:55
If we were called the eagles then i could understand... Having said that I don't mind it.

A reminder that City have used the eagle before on club materials as early as 1960-61 (though not the shirt obviously)

[Image stolen - at least second hand - from an unknown City forum. Apologies to whoever took this]

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The rags used it aswell on a Wembley shirt iirc

lee

the bird and the stars have to go..
i dont mind the rest of it but the round badge is the one and always will be...to me

gavin

I've had this 20 years now.

Stick yer eagle up your arse.

Swiss

Bit painful to tattoo it there!?

gavin

Yes, it probably would be! No offence meant, twas a joke. To be honest I don't mind the eagle badge that much though having it on a shield on a kit cheapens the whole kit. The City badge for me is just the round one with ship and rose but it would be as I've been carrying it around with me for so long!

As for the stars, they missed an opportunity when we won the fourth title to add a fourth star and make them mean something at least. Then they could perhaps have gone to just the one star on winning the European Cup and thence left it to be added to at every subsequent European Cup win.

lee

i thought the stars represented 3 relegations

Rowley Birkin QC

Shouldn't they be below the badge then  :D

Hesperus

Very interesting pic of the Eagle from the club handbook Rowley! That at least explains to me where the Eagle on the current badge came from because it's exactly the same. I quite like it now, Let's keep it!  :)

Rowley Birkin QC

BBM is correct though. The rags used the eagle as well, only once as far as I know, on the post-Munich 1958 Cup Final shirt, when a popular myth arose that it was a phoenix (rising from the ashes). It wasn't...

This eagle WAS part of the official City of Manchester coat of arms, redesigned in 1958 by a Mr H. Ellis Tomlinson - although it's hard to spot. Small multiple eagles atop "municipal crowns" adorn the coat of arms "mantle" (that's the swirly ribbon stuff around the helmet) -

The eagle was supposed to represent the city's important role in the aircraft industry (apparently) - and both City and the rags adopted it for various purposes at different times around the late 50's and early '60's.

Although all subsequent versions of Manchester's coat of arms are founded on the 1958 version, it has been simplified in some aspects over the years and one feature dropped has been the eagles and crowns on the mantle.