News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pellegrini team selection

Started by Stephen Paul, November 22, 2015, 05:26:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowley Birkin QC

Shouldn't have left out Fernandinho either. If Pellers wanted to keep a strong central midfield (not just Fernando and Yaya) I would have sacrificed one of either Sterling or Navas to the bench in order to included Fernandinho in the starting 11 as well - giving him (or Yaya, if he could be arsed) free licence to roam forward in support of Aguero and De Bruyne.

With the Pool forwards pressing our defenders with the ball, we needed more available 'outs' for them to get the ball forward (rather than passing back to Hart or speculative long balls under pressure). Yaya not mobile enough to provide enough options when needed and Fernando couldn't do it on his own. Fernandinho, Fernando and Delph proved a better arrangement in the second half, but the damage had been done by then.

Ludo

Probably the best we've played this year was against Sevilla where we had two denfensive midfielders in Fernandinho and Fernando giving us a bit more cover at the back. Even if Fernandinho needed a rest yesterday Delph was the obvious replacement.

Yaya's days as a central midfielder are numbered. He's been great and given us a lot of great memories but he's an impact sub now at best.

Neil Mcnab

Looking back, Spurs, strong work ethic, pressing - result 4-1.
Liverpool, str....

To have any chance of winning we needed the strongest team out. Focus was obviously on the Juve game, the result against them will probably define the season. A win, top the group, onwards and upwards. A loss and it looks difficult and why did we rest those players? Lose, lose. I guess the Peller had been told up the line what the priority is.

bluebrendan

My heart sank when I heard the team news an hour before KO but even I didn't expect such a total shambles. If Otamendi was "too tired" to start what was he doing on the bench, having a snooze?? If he was judged fit enough to come on after 10mins in the event of an injury surely he could have started? Don't even get me started on Yaya in a 2-man central midfield again - absolutely mental team selection against a Klopp side.

Stephen Paul

this being to tired after 90 mins of football and a business class flight is bollocks .
You have to play your best 11 every week in this league ffs

KunDB

Ok Otamendi and Fernandinho too tired. I bet they would not agree with that.

Demechellis and Mangala in.

Was Demechellis not in Argentina as well, did he not fly home like Otamendi?

Was Managala not caught up in those nightmare events in Paris?

Was Demechellis or Mangala in any better physical or mental state than Otamendi?

Pelle you talk bollocks, it is no wonder 11 players underperformed; they saw your 'not worth fielding a first choice team' teamsheet and immediately knew the game did not matter.

Blame yourself first before you start blaming and shaming the players.

Lekos

You don't half talk some shit Citoeast

KunDB

Quote from: Lekos on November 23, 2015, 19:49:33

Still living in the past still Lekos, time to move on.

KunDB

Quote from: Lekos on November 23, 2015, 19:49:33

Sagna says Lekos is the one churning out shit.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-citys-sagna-admits-still-10483090

Bacary Sagna has admitted that the horror and emotion of the past week took its toll on his performance against Liverpool.

The France right back was partially culpable for three of the visitors' goals as Manchester City slumped to a 4-1 home defeat.

And he later said that he and centre back Eliaquim Mangala â€" who had thought they could set aside the shocking events in Paris last week â€" maybe were not ready to play again.

Both players were involved in the game against Germany which was attacked by suicide bombers, and they were also part of the squad on a tear-stained night at Wembley to remember the victims of the attacks.

Lekos

Being obtuse must come naturally to you Citoeast. Straw men all over the place.

It's bullshit like this:

Quote from: Zabba on November 23, 2015, 18:56:39
they saw your 'not worth fielding a first choice team' teamsheet and immediately knew the game did not matter.

Absolute tripe of the highest degree.

Ludo

Zabba might not be too far off the mark with that thought.

I'm sure Klopp looked our less than mobile midfield and a, pretty much, untried centre back pairing and realised that the game was there for the taking. His teams always have an industrious, hard pressing midfield that Pellegrini obviously didn't take account of.

Neil Mcnab

Quote from: Zabba on November 23, 2015, 23:33:33
Bacary Sagna has admitted that the horror and emotion of the past week took its toll on his performance against Liverpool.

The France right back was partially culpable for three of the visitors' goals as Manchester City slumped to a 4-1 home defeat.

And he later said that he and centre back Eliaquim Mangala â€" who had thought they could set aside the shocking events in Paris last week â€" maybe were not ready to play again.

Both players were involved in the game against Germany which was attacked by suicide bombers, and they were also part of the squad on a tear-stained night at Wembley to remember the victims of the attacks.

For the Paris game the German players were told not to go back to their hotel and stayed the night in the stadium. As a a show of solidarity the French players stayed as well. No doubt mulling over the events all night. I did not think Mangala/Sagna would be ready, the mind has to be right as well as the body. Peller/other staff should not have been asking them if they felt ok to play, players will always say they are fine. They should have rested them. The French teams performance should have been a big clue. Very poor judgement and management.

KunDB

Quote from: Lekos on November 24, 2015, 07:32:59
Being obtuse must come naturally to you Citoeast. Straw men all over the place.

It's bullshit like this:

Absolute tripe of the highest degree.

You do not agree with this, fair enough but chill on the overreaction.

The City team sheet for Liverpool howled to me, and other City fans, before the match that it was the CL game that mattered most clearly, not this one (Liverpool). The City players would also have thought that. Players are young, well relatively young, and they sense when the manager has bigger priorities (CL) and they just take the foot off the gas a little bit (not necessarily intentionally). It is human nature. Then it is near impossible for them to step up the gears before real damage is done. That is exactly what happened here. Pelle's team sheet sent all the wrong messages to the City and Liverpool teams.

Klopp must have been jumping with joy when he saw it, as must the Liverpool players.

Lekos

Sorry, but I draw the line at assuming to know what the players are thinking.

goat

safe to say yaya was thinking im getting too old for this shit

Ludo

More likely to be thinking 'mmmm, cake'

Swiss

Quote from: goat on November 25, 2015, 15:02:09
safe to say yaya was thinking im getting too old for this shit

I dunno, I don't think it's dawned on him that he's a bit of a wonky donky!

KunDB

Quote from: Lekos on November 25, 2015, 12:47:10
Sorry, but I draw the line at assuming to know what the players are thinking.

Lekos, could you phone MP and have a chat with him.

MP said that he believes that Manchester City’s failures in their past three matches may be because they relaxed after qualifying early for the Champions League knockout phase.

Some might say MP is wrong and blame him pointing out that we are seeing a mini collapse just like we saw last year.