News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

v Brentford

Started by gavin, November 12, 2022, 11:35:28

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

XI | Ederson, Stones, Akanji, Laporte, Cancelo, Rodrigo, De Bruyne, Gundogan (C), Bernardo, Haaland, Foden

SUBS | Ortega Moreno, Dias, Phillips, Grealish, Alvarez, Gomez, Mahrez, Palmer, Lewis

The beast is back.

Stephen Paul

Strong team
Good to see Foden start

gavin

Need to buck up second half. It wasn't a surprise when they scored. Great strike from Phil after a poor half from him.

Stephen Paul

Hopefully keep the tempo up now and an early goal second half

KunDB

Starting 'sleepy Joe' mode is becoming an ingrained habit these days in the Premier League.

Need to keep the tempo up Second half.

Brentford over physical

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Why do we aimlessly pass the ball around the corners of the box with every one stood in the box waiting for a cross? Genuine question cos it baffles me.

lee

Piss poor that.
Heads already in Qatar

KunDB

We never looked like winning. As Lee said World Cup Itis without doubt.

Very physical Brentford but very deserving too.   

It has been coming as in general we have been poor at home despite our record of 7 wins. Our defending has been poor this season and we are rubbish at set pieces this year.

lee

Cancelo is turning into a bit of  a pleb

silvablue

Cancelo has been poor this season.

The score actually flattered us as it could easily have been 4 1 for Brentford. Apart from the Foden goal we did not create many real chances.

Stephen Paul

Very poor today

Should have been hammered

gavin

City were bad today. The referee had no interest in there being a game of football.

Hesperus

Oh dear. Complacent? Eyes on World Cup?

I don't think we've been that good this season. Haalands goals have saved us. The defence and goalie haven't been good enough.

Arsenal now with a real advantage in the title race, they've played much harder games than us too.

Boredom now until after Xmas!

KunDB

The multiple stoppages didn't help us, but no excuse we simply were not good enough outplayed and out worked by Brentford.

Sour taste is defeat going into the World Cup.

Victoria

That performance has been coming over the last month: can't complain: well played Brentford!

Neil Mcnab

A bag of shit. Understandable but unprofessional if they were worried about knocks for the let down by Southgate show.

jingoe

Right from the kick off Brentford went route 1 and bullied us . Pep is always reluctant to change things up with subs. Appalling miss by Gundo too

Stephen Paul

A poor day all round but onwards and upwards

The Xmas period will set the stone

bbk

This has been coming. We have been very poor this season. Strike me down for blasphemy, but I think there is a link between Haaland and the team being poor. I think he has disrupted a well-functioning team and, conversely, his goals have masked how poor the collective have been this season. "We'd have won that game if we had a number 9" won't fly any more.

KunDB

Quote from: bbk on November 13, 2022, 17:33:01
This has been coming. We have been very poor this season. Strike me down for blasphemy, but I think there is a link between Haaland and the team being poor. I think he has disrupted a well-functioning team and, conversely, his goals have masked how poor the collective have been this season. "We'd have won that game if we had a number 9" won't fly any more.

I have thought the same Gavin, but when I analyse it further, I feel it is all a part of the bedding in process for have such a potent tip on our spear now (a hugely successful and prolific number 9). The team has to adjust and adjust massively from last season. They have to get to know him, and he has to get to know them. He means a loss of a player in midfield essentially so less control and less options to penetrate the usual brick wall defences. They also importantly have to learn to adjust using him especially when he is double and physically marked like yesterday. The team has to take responsibility to themselves to score and to exploit the space that the double marking creates, and he has to learn how to drag his close markers around to create more space for his teammates to exploit. That did not happen yesterday or in some previous games as well. It takes time to gel, but in the second part of the season I can see that happening because these players are so talented.

Yesterday, was also impacted by players playing at 90% saving themselves, consciously or sub-consciously, for the world cup and understandably so. Brentford exploited this by being physically aggressive and it paid off big time.