News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Otamendi

Started by KunDB, August 16, 2015, 20:06:32

Previous topic - Next topic

ebm1991

Correct. Spanish news confirming it

gavin

Interesting that we might get rid of Mangala when we have had such a good couple of games. And Vinny is so full of praise for him on the OS after the game.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Interviews/2015/August/City-v-Chelsea-Kompany-interview

bry the guy

And now Mangala has aclimatized to the prem it looks like he is off on loan while his ex partner at porto takes his place.we could be starting all over again so why didnt city get Otamendi last season instead of Mangala??????????????????????????????????

Best give joe the golden glove now eh.

Neil Mcnab

He was only a young lad in the world cup 2010, but he was very poor. Dont understand this signing.

bry the guy

no im saying we got mangala last season after loads of problems in signing him and now we are signing his ex partner?

Leewonpen

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on August 16, 2015, 21:05:35
He was only a young lad in the world cup 2010, but he was very poor. Dont understand this signing.
This...
Mangala is much improved (only 2 games I know) so far and for me, a pleasing thing was having the same back 4 for the first two games.
Bit disappointed tbh.

gavin

If you watch that video linked, it is interesting that Vinny says it would be nice to continue without changes.

bry the guy

i THOUGHT HE PLAYED WELL in the last 6 games of last season.

Swiss

Mangala, Vinny or Otamendi?

Tricky Trev

I understand the need to replace mangala, if we look at last season but at the same time, how bad of a deal can you possibly get ?

Sign mangala for 4353534543 mil, give him away for "free" the next season. City   ;D

My head hurts.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: TrickyTrev on August 17, 2015, 12:17:43
My head hurts.

Best if you stop drinking that Red wine then...

Leewonpen

Sky reporting that Mangala NOT part of the deal but, the outstanding fee for Negredo is....

goat

Tricky Trev

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on August 17, 2015, 12:22:44
Quote from: TrickyTrev on August 17, 2015, 12:17:43
My head hurts.

Best if you stop drinking that Red wine then...

Or if you could make sense of this whole situation. Not part of the deal sounds better.

Neil Mcnab

Sounds like Valencia are struggling to pay for the Beast, so are offering Otamendi. I would say no, he isnt good enough. Mangala is looking much improved and we have Demi and Denayer. We need to strengthen in other areas. All that said they are saying he is already in Manchester in the Spanish press.
Would send Fernando out on loan. Vinny or Demi in DM if needed.

gavin

We needed to strengthen the defence and two decent games does not alter that. It does alter that Mangala should not be sacrificed. We need to be cautious after last season's defensive performances.

Swiss

I think what's made us look so much better is that Fernandinho and Toure are bossing the midfield again.

We have Delph in too that looks lively.
Sterling was tracking back and helping out
So I think there is a whole team ethic this season compared to last when half the team couldn't be arsed.

But yes, still need a CB cause Demi won't be here next season and I reckon we'll either send Denayer or Demi on loan to them (Or Demi permanent).

The Otta wouldn't be my first choice but he's here and I'm sure we'll give him time to settle in :)

Swiss

Neil Mcnab

Just goes to show, stats arent all that.

Swiss

I have no idea how good or bad Otamendi is.

KunDB

Some info / assessment of Otaendi on utube video.

bry the guy

i thought he was in Manchester today.

bry the guy

I just heard he has signed/

bry the guy

He has a welcome to manchester youtube video.

bry the guy

Neil Mcnab

Fee is believed to be 45 million Euros. Now hes very nearly a blue, apparently he was very good at the Copa and in the league last season. Since it took veteran Demi six months and Mangala 12 months (fingers crossed), this could be classed as a settling in season.
Its a big f**k you to Denayer. Guess he will be loaned out again.

No chance for a central midfielder now, pray KDB still pitches up.

gavin

We just can't take any chances with the defence after last season. Safety in numbers. It would be good to see Denayer at another Prem club for a season. It is all very well spending a year at Celtic but if you think Otamendi might need time to bed in having played at Porto, Valencia and in the Argentinian national side then how much bedding in will Denayer need?

Leewonpen

Understand where your coming from Gav but I can't help thinking that all the youngsters with potential rarely realise it because no-one is prepared to take a chance......their real development comes from playing in the first team

gavin

A season at Brum did Hart no bad. You can throw a striker on for bits of games in the Prem but it is more difficult with defenders. Let someone else take a chance with them. Denayer won't be first choice here regardless but if we can find somewhere in the Prem that he has a fighting chance then we'll see how good he is. A season at Celtic doesn't prove much to me.

bry the guy

KunDB

Finally the club has confirmed the signing of Otamendi.

Kick in the clinks to our neighbours and a great signing for us, as he has already played with Mangala at Porto and he is a warrior.

Strenghth in depth now in defence.

goat

is he actually that good?

KunDB

If he had gone to Utd they would have been streghthened significantly in defence.

He is a warriror, a battler, great vision and decisiveness, the type of player (Zabba like battler) that every team wants and needs.

Swiss

To be fair, if I'd gone to Utd they'd have been significantly strengthened in defence and I'm shit  8)

Statto:

Opta's data show that the Argentine has great credentials at the back. Playing for a team outside the Clasico domination, he won more aerial challenges (124) than any other defender in La Liga and was also the top defender for overall duels won (268).

On top of that, he made the most clearances in the division (258), was fourth in terms of interceptions (111) and ranked sixth among defenders for tackles won (74).

He is good on the ball, too, and for a centre-back his tally of 1249 successful passes is extremely impressive and sees him ranked 24th in that field in the whole of La Liga, ahead of players like Neymar and James Rodriguez.

45% of passes played forwards

KunDB

I wonder how this rag fan is feeling today about his July post on Redcafe.

The 'Bobby Manc' one who posted:

"We have players like Otamendi forcing a move to us, Man City have palyers like Delph rejecting them. The Difference."

Expand on that Bobby Manc, please!

clevblue

If there's buying going on, especially If it looks like we are strengthening, it sends a message across England and Europe - that's the best of it until we see what difference they make. If they work out, better still

reddishblue

Quote from: Zabba on August 20, 2015, 18:37:15
I wonder how this rag fan is feeling today about his July post on Redcafe.

The 'Bobby Manc' one who posted:

"We have players like Otamendi forcing a move to us, Man City have palyers like Delph rejecting them. The Difference."

Expand on that Bobby Manc, please!

Imagine saying on citymancs Kolarov is shit and should be sold.

gavin

Everything I've seen on paper suggests he should be good, now lets see him on grass. It is particularly pleasing that he and Mango should already be comfortable together.

goat

Quote from: Zabba on August 20, 2015, 13:02:38
If he had gone to Utd they would have been streghthened significantly in defence.

He is a warriror, a battler, great vision and decisiveness, the type of player (Zabba like battler) that every team wants and needs.

need more than david brent type buzz words really

Swiss

Quote from: gavin on August 20, 2015, 21:12:38
Everything I've seen on paper suggests he should be good, now lets see him on grass. It is particularly pleasing that he and Mango should already be comfortable together.

It's an interesting one, realistically I wouldn't expect Otamendi to start pushing for a starting 11 place for 2 to 3 weeks. By then, if Mangala continues his form (for our sakes hopefully) Ota may find it hard to get a run out in the league! There will be one of them that's frustrated for sure!

KunDB

Managal and Otamendi had a very successful partnership established at Porto. He should fit in easily. Otamendi & Mangala; Otamendi & Kompany; Kompany and Mangala (1st choice); Demichellis with Mangala; Demichellis & Kompany; Demichellis and Otamendi. Yes Kompany & Demichellis will have to learn about their new partner but what great options we have, inclding playing 3 together at times.

Otamendi is a late developer but a very good player and like Sterling I am satisfied he will definitely strengthen and improve our team and provide opportunity for down time for key defenders and cover for injury.

Remember he can cover at right back as well.

nimrod

Quote from: Zabba on August 20, 2015, 23:35:07
Managal and Otamendi had a very successful partnership established at Porto. He should fit in easily. Otamendi & Mangala; Otamendi & Kompany; Kompany and Mangala (1st choice); Demichellis with Mangala; Demichellis & Kompany; Demichellis and Otamendi. Yes Kompany & Demichellis will have to learn about their new partner but what great options we have, inclding playing 3 together at times.

Otamendi is a late developer but a very good player and like Sterling I am satisfied he will definitely strengthen and improve our team and provide opportunity for down time for key defenders and cover for injury.

Remember he can cover at right back as well.

Yes but my big fear here is that the tinkerman is going to tinker every game and we'll never have a settled back 4, anybody else have a big fear ?

KunDB

Well Nimrod that is my fear too. We need an established centre back partnership.

I am hopeful however that lessons have been learnt from last season.

Neil Mcnab

Demichelis and Otamendi are Argentina CBs so play internationally together. Played in the recent Copa in the same team. So its only Vinny he wont have played alongside. Looking good.

Swiss

Also, a lot of the negative press about Ota is from when he played at RB for the national team ans didn't do so well... to be fair to him, he wasn't a right back... so I wouldn't likt to see him there...

Sagna has done well in the first two games, made a cracking tackle against Chelsea so it's Zabba's (player) to regain. Though he's out for a month with a knee injury