News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

eu, in or out

Started by goat, May 30, 2016, 12:59:08

Previous topic - Next topic

nimrod

21.5 mill for a wrecked city centre, very generous

just about enough to buy Vardy

Lekos

I can only assume you're jokingly playing that down. 

Rowley Birkin QC

I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the Outers' constant assertion that the EU is completely undemocratic. Even some of the Inners seem happy to concede this point. 

All this demonstrates is an apparent lack of knowledge about how the EU actually works. It's not perfect, but then the Westminster government system isn't perfect either.

nimrod

Its all a bit daft this thread, nobody is going to change anybody's mind on the issue so balls to it, found this article in the Guardian interesting though about Jean-Claude Juncker, the whole story of his election is like something out of Yes Minister.

It was a glorious summer evening in Scandinavia bathed in eternal light. Over dinner prepared by a top TV chef, a prime minister divulged his thoughts about European politics. "I'm a bit worried that the European parliament seems to be getting all these new powers," he said. The year was 2009, the EU's Lisbon Treaty was just about to come into force. The prime minister's admission was surprising because it was his and the other governments of the EU that had written the treaty, not the parliament or any other EU institution.

"We know that the parliament gets more powers, but why did your governments do that? Didn't you read the treaty?" the prime minister was asked. He gave no answer.

Fast forward five years and another meal, this time in Brussels. Over gazpacho, turbot with chervil, and chocolate and apricot pastries, the result was announced of the issue that has given European leaders indigestion for weeks. Jean-Claude Juncker had been nominated by 26 votes to 2. David Cameron bristled and demanded a show of hands. Just for the record. The English Channel suddenly widened.
A catalogue of complacency, negligence, miscalculation and manoeuvring by national leaders over the past nine months conspired to deliver an outcome no one really wanted â€" Jean-Claude Juncker, Europe's accidental president.

Rowley Birkin QC

Not sure what your point is.

Jean-Claude Juncker is President of the European Commission. The Commission can draft new laws (based on the collective instructions of the democratically elected EU memeber states) and it can enforce and monitor existing EU laws. But it does not pass laws.  That's the job of the directly elected EU Parliament.

goat

i didnt start this thread to change minds

Ludo

How would a Brexit affect City's recruitment policy should we want to buy players from other EU countries?

They'd all need work permits I suppose, which might not be too bad if we're buying established internationals but what about younger players entering the academy? Would the likes of Diaz and Celina be eligible for a work permit not having the required number of international appearances?

reddishblue

Anyone see the Sir Bob and Farage stand off today? The whole election will be decided by who everyone thinks is the least cuntish. I am now undecided. Cunts.

reddishblue

I'm more confused than ever.

:D

bluepill

Not sure why anyone would vote for a bigger north south divide or privatisation of the NHS. But most will chicken out and vote status quo in the end.

Ludo

I don't think the Conservative dream of a privatised NHS is any more likely inside or outside of the EU.

bluepill

Un firewalled perma conservative governments will eventually privatise the NHS. If Brexit happens Scotland will want out all over again the government will have shown it's weakness and where the city of London might prosper replacements of the benign eu grants won't get spread so liberally or fairly.

reddishblue

The insanity becomes worse. To think I used to like camping. Then again I might flee to the hills of Derbyshire if this continues. Definitely not Wales though, I'm not that mad.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/britain-first-joke_uk_5766e914e4b01fb65863a8d5?raruc7ak9jn744pldi

reddishblue

I remember we were doing ok until we joined the common market in 73. Apprenticeships were readily available to all. The 60's were a period of innovation until some cunts decided to stop it. Yes, unions talked too much but  so called 'management' after years of mismanagement and lack of investment  and imagination retired on huge pensions. Later the Thatcher government philosophy and implementation of this was let's be a "service industry country". In other words make fuck all, we can sell them insurance instead. The current incumbent government which includes those twats from 'new labour' is of the same ilk.

We make fuck all now. We even charge people to train to be a nurse nowadays. Something is not right.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: reddishblue on June 20, 2016, 06:02:28
We even charge people to train to be a nurse nowadays. Something is not right.

Tell me about it!!!

lee

Quote from: reddishblue on June 15, 2016, 21:22:05
Anyone see the Sir Bob and Farage stand off today? The whole election will be decided by who everyone thinks is the least cuntish. I am now undecided. Cunts.

how can you be confused about bob geldof?
unless you have a bag of smack you wont be!!

Swiss

Quote from: bluepill on June 19, 2016, 19:23:50
Not sure why anyone would vote for a bigger north south divide or privatisation of the NHS. But most will chicken out and vote status quo in the end.

It's not chickening out if it's the right decision!

I voted in

lee