News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Gvardiol

Started by gavin, June 29, 2023, 21:38:21

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66019220

A centre half who can play left back. Seems to be a good bet for us generally. But we've a lot of centre halves already. Could be that Laporte is on his way anyway. He's been an excellent player for us, especially showing his worth at the end of last season but Pep prefers others for now at least.

Vickki

I think this guy is who PeP really wants and not Rice hence we pulled out of that deal. I have seen this guy in multiple games and he is impressive. This guy will strengthen City's squad: a must buy!

Stephen Paul

Rice for me is bang average, glad we didn't buy but this guy Gvardiol has what it's got fit into this City team

Vickki

From what I have seen if his play, he runs up and down the field, sneeks into the penalty area,and is not afraid to mix it. His passing is a bit suspect but will improve under Pep I'm sure. This guy is what City need, and I think he will be a good fit for City👍

gavin

It has all gone quiet on this guy now. It looked like he would be coming at one stage. But it has been a short quiet summer overall now. The lads are back in training on Monday and then shortly afterwards are off to Japan for the summer tour. It won't be long until the triple Champions, FA Cup holders and Champions of Europe are back in action. It is still bloody hard to believe all that is true, at once.

reddishblue

Meanwhile Declan Rice to the Arse is still not done.

Vickki

Quote from: reddishblue on July 13, 2023, 22:29:30
Meanwhile Declan Rice to the Arse is still not done.
Because Arsenal are being cheap. They want to pay 5 installments over 5 years of £25m where we offered  2 lump sums of £40m over 2 years.
I can see West Hams view of not accepting Arsenals' pay structure. But West Ham greed is the cause of this. Personally, I would have gone  for the 2 lump sums of £40m over 2 years, which was our bid. Better business in my view.

Vickki

About time too, this guy is far better than Rice from what I've seen of him

reddishblue

Bet we paid less for him than the Arse did for Rice for twice the player as next season will show  :D

Swiss

Different position to Rice, not sure why the comparison other than fee.

I too think Laporte will be on his way, which will balance the books somewhat. Though I can see a scenario if Walker moves on and we'll utilise

Dias gvadiol Ake
  Stones

Akanji/Laporte for any of the back 3
And Rico for Stones.

Think we're at a net spend of -£11.5m atm.

gavin

Pep always used to fill the team with midfielders. Now it is central defenders everywhere. Albeit, all of them are central defenders that are fantastic footballers. Definitely not the donkeys of the 80's and 90's. Stones was absolutely incredible at times last season.

gavin

reddishblue

He's at it again. Watch from 3m 01s.

He'

gavin

KunDB

Appears now to be a done deal at 90 million euros, 77 million pounds. So cheaper than harry maguire was and no add ons seemingly.

I think he is a really sound defender and we all should know by now Pep turns stars into Superstars.

Let's get this season started. C'mon City.

reddishblue

Is he any good, I've only seen clips on youtube  :D

gavin

You've seen him play City at least a couple of times. He has looked a very good player when I've seen him in those games and others. Though we did beat Leipzig 7-0 last season with him in the team.....

Pep and Txiki must still have been impressed regardless.

KunDB

Quote from: reddishblue on August 02, 2023, 19:24:13
Is he any good, I've only seen clips on youtube  :D

He is a real defender, not a John Stones Rolls Royce style defender, which is brilliant. Best young defender in Europe with plenty of experience and with scope for further improvement. If he continues his improvement we will have a superstar defender.

Ignore the games against us as any defender is exposed in a struggling team and who doesn't struggle against an in form City. Score an awesome header running and out jumping Dias.

This is a great buy probably the best if this transfer window. He is probably one of only a few defenders who could measurably improve our defence and the only one so young.

reddishblue

Quote from: gavin on August 03, 2023, 21:50:50
You've seen him play City at least a couple of times. He has looked a very good player when I've seen him in those games and others. Though we did beat Leipzig 7-0 last season with him in the team.....

Pep and Txiki must still have been impressed regardless.

It would have been 8 had he not chased back, superb interception.