News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Silva v King Colin

Started by gavin, October 06, 2015, 21:07:33

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

So the rag at the MUEN reckons David has eclipsed Colin as the greatest ever player now

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/david-silva-manchester-citys-greatest-10196972

Silva is without doubt a great but not sure about better than Colin Bell. Would any that saw a lot of Colin play care to comment?

KunDB

Summerbee, Lee and Bell.

Colin was the rolls royce and he had a non-stop engine, apparently he had a slow heartbeat that give him immense stamina.

Fantastic player my hero of the good old days, City's best ever player in my opinion but Silva is up there with him as he has skills and vision the like of which I have never seen before ina City shirt.

Both City's best, in their own era, It is not wise to compare players from different times.

Ludo

Different era, different styles, different positions.

Probably a better comparison would be with Yaya and of course he was a much better player than that.

zacc

both sublime players in their time

Rowley Birkin QC

Like Ludo said, in my teenage memory Bell was more a Yaya type player - only King Colin had a much, MUCH better engine!

So I'm not sure the comparison with Silva really works. Different type of players. In fact, aside from Kinky, I'm not sure we've ever had a player like David Silva at City before.

bluebrendan

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on October 07, 2015, 08:13:48
Like Ludo said, in my teenage memory Bell was more a Yaya type player - only King Colin had a much, MUCH better engine!

So I'm not sure the comparison with Silva really works. Different type of players. In fact, aside from Kinky, I'm not sure we've ever had a player like David Silva at City before.

Yes, Bell and Silva are so different in style that comparisons are a bit pointless. I think it's safe to say that if you were picking an all-time best XI for City then most supporters would have them as the first names on the teamsheet. They would complement each other quite brilliantly in the same team.

goat

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on October 07, 2015, 08:13:48
I'm not sure we've ever had a player like David Silva at City before.

ali b and berkovic could both pick a pass

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: goat on October 07, 2015, 14:04:16
ali b and berkovic could both pick a pass

I was a big fan of both - especially Ali Benarbia. Shame we only got him towards the end of his career because he wasn't as mobile or quick on the turn as Silva is. It we'd got him in his prime the comparison with Silva would be a worthy one I think.

goat

in his prime i think ali would be the better one, ali had a few tricks in his locker and was a bit less predictable.... that backheel for the goat a few years back

not that dave is predictable in a bad way, its predictable that everything good will go through him and not many will be able to stop him

goat

rag fan actually tweeted this

"Jason puncheon has more influence on games than Silva"

Rowley Birkin QC

:D

Someone should ask him how much influence Carrick and Schweinsteiger - or indeed ANY of the rag squad - had on the Arsenal game

goat

i forgot the german was there  :D

Rowley Birkin QC

You're not alone. Arsenal barely noticed him...

Ludo

Too busy carrying a piano by the looks of it.

zacc

Quote from: goat on October 08, 2015, 13:23:53
rag fan actually tweeted this

"Jason puncheon has more influence on games than Silva"

ha ha proves the point of how much they know about footy!

nimrod

Quote from: bluebrendan on October 07, 2015, 11:59:14
Yes, Bell and Silva are so different in style that comparisons are a bit pointless. I think it's safe to say that if you were picking an all-time best XI for City then most supporters would have them as the first names on the teamsheet. They would complement each other quite brilliantly in the same team.

yeah different players really, both very important though, Bell could score plenty of goals, even with his head, I used to go to MR and watch him and Lee etc every home game in the days when you could just pay at the turnstiles, I always think of Bell more as a Lampard type of player.
Silva is of course immensely important to out team we are pretty shit with out him in fact.
Agree with Brendo both would be first names on a best ever 11, well, along with Kun and Franny

gavin

Just read a headline that says that Taggart wouldn't  buy him because he doesn't defend enough. Laughable. What a player, and man. It has never even occurred to me that he should be made to defend more. The only thing that needs changing is the amount of games he misses through injury.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The only thing he could do with improving is his finishing.

nimrod

Quote from: gavin on October 11, 2015, 20:20:05
Just read a headline that says that Taggart wouldn't  buy him because he doesn't defend enough. Laughable. What a player, and man. It has never even occurred to me that he should be made to defend more. The only thing that needs changing is the amount of games he misses through injury.

scary thing for me Gav is how average we seem to be without him, I may be wrong but I get the feeling Bobby Manc wouldve done something about that with the money thats been spent since his departure, a lot of us thought Nasri could slot in there in his absence of course but he's turned out not to be the great playmaker we all thought, ahh well, it is what it is..

clevblue

I think Nasri is improving this season, anyway now he needs to prove himself