News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pep's brand of football and the media

Started by Rowley Birkin QC, October 21, 2016, 14:51:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowley Birkin QC

Pep's not likely to get a fair hearing from the UK media (with their traditional over-inflated view of how wonderful the Premier League is) - at least not until he 'proves' otherwise. Nervous City supporters should not be taken in by media attempts to portray the current 'Claudio Bravo/ passing out from the back debate' as some sort of crisis.

This is a longish read, but worth the effort -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/21/premier-league-pep-guardiola-manchester-city-claudio-bravo?CMP=fb_gu

KunDB

The media and English ex-footballer mafia are going all out to get Pep via Claudio.

Pep believes in a footballing philosophy and is passionate about it and will not change. In time they will all have to eat their words, when he and City succeed.

KunDB

My favourite bit, so true it made me laugh hard.

"It is also because he is introducing an alien concept here, redefining the art of goalkeeping by making his No1 play out from the back, turning him into an auxiliary midfield playmaker. Well, that might work in Spain. But try to spray a pass on to David Silva’s chest while Andy Carroll’s elbow is lodged down your throat. The sensible English goalkeeper saves, catches, boots it into Row Z and appears in a shampoo commercial. Inevitably Guardiola, recognising the risks of his approach, defended Bravo. This is how he sees football."

gavin

I have no interest in what the press think. Pep has a philosophy and I believe in it more now than ever. It is very early days. We are top of the league. Despite recent setbacks, we are playing football that other British teams can only hope to dream of. I watched United at Liverpool and, honestly, I'd rather take a 4-0 hammering than play like them. He will persevere and rightly so because our lads need to play his way week in week out to develop their capability to play that way.

It's the right way to play and he has been very successful playing that way. Why on earth should we listen to know nothing, won nothing scribes soaked in the history of English managers like fat Sam and too much whisky.

Rowley Birkin QC

> Zabba:

Yes, I liked that bit as well.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: gavin on October 21, 2016, 15:13:56
He will persevere and rightly so because our lads need to play his way week in week out to develop their capability to play that way.

Exactly so Gavin.

bluebrendan

There was an article in the local Blackpool chip wrapper by a supposed football writer who claimed he enjoyed the Dipper-Rag bore draw, that just about sums up English football journalism.

zacc

Let's face it we'd all be very worried if the press started being fair to City!! :o  ;)

goat

sweeper keepers not done german any harm

in 10 years time england will catch up and sky will claim to have invented it

clevblue

They have to talk and talk and anything they can say will do. Got to fill the pages up. Even when it's shit
. We all have to work I suppose

KunDB

Quote from: goat on October 22, 2016, 20:06:43
sweeper keepers not done german any harm

in 10 years time england will catch up and sky will claim to have invented it

Just look at who are criticising Pep, total non achievers, who frequently say something during a game and then contradict it during the same game.

Lekos

Quote from: Zabba on October 22, 2016, 22:17:05
....who frequently say something during a game and then contradict it during the same game.

Pot, kettle, black  :D ;D

Swiss

Haha. But that is everyone on here :-D