News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Frannie and Denis

Started by Rowley Birkin QC, December 31, 2015, 06:30:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowley Birkin QC

I half expect a few sarcastic remarks here and yes, these awards are bunk really, but no matter! Francis Lee and Denis Law have been awarded CBE's in the New Years Honours list.

Law may be a rag at heart but I don't recall him ever saying anything bad about his stints at City (quite the opposite in fact) and he was a great player - and Frannie was my boyhood hero. A train-wreck of a chairman, but as a player he could do no wrong in my young eyes. In fact, aside from Tueart I do not recall getting really thrilled about any City centre forward after Lee left for Derby - until Aguero arrived.

KunDB

Summerbee, Bell and Lee my childhood heroes. I never thought I would have to wait 30+ years for more heroes, and filled with the pain of watching Utd bloom and brag.

Denis Law, signed for City March 1960, for what was then a British record transfer fee of £55,000. Law got nothing of that fee. Busby had attempted to sign Law for Manchester United, but City beat them for hus signature (ah the great days).

In 1961 Denis scored six goals in an FA Cup tie against Luton Town. Unfortunately the match had to be abandoned so his six goals didn't count. Luton won the replay 3â€"1.

City then sold him to Torino who then sold him onto our cross-town hated rivals in 1962. In the summer of 73 he returned to City and retired from football in 1974.

I will never forget Franny Lee, a bulldozer of a player.  Joe Mercer signed him for a club record transfer fee of £60,000 in 1967.

He set a British record for the number of penalties scored in a season, with 15 of his 35 goals scored from the penalty spot. Unfortunately he had a reputation as a bit of a diver (well deserved) and was nicknamed 'Lee Won Pen'.

I espeicialy remember one penlaty he took, he was a unstoppable penalty blaster, this time for England the penalty shot near hit the corner flag.

It is great that these fond memories are supplemented by new fond memories and heroes, as City enjoy another golden age (something I had thought would never happen in my lifetime).

Well done Frannie and Denis.

Ludo

Just watched the BBC and of all the clips of Dennis Law they could have shown they used the back heel from '74.

Superb.

Rowley Birkin QC

:D

I suspect then that we can guess the probable football allegiance of whoever was in charge of the editing desk

nimrod

Frannie shouldve got the CBE years ago for kicking the shit out of norman hunter years ago  ;)

true city legend is Frannie, wonderful player to watch and have in your team

fuck Law, rag through and through