News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

FIFA Presidential Election

Started by reddishblue, January 05, 2015, 17:53:40

Previous topic - Next topic

reddishblue

reddishblue

Rumour has it that Luis Figo has now taken his hat out of the ring.

gavin

It'll be Blatter again. He's got the smaller developing countries sewn up.

Swiss

at 79 I hope I'm on bloody saga cruises enjoying life!

goat

Quote from: reddishblue on May 20, 2015, 22:35:19

his wife is a swedish model, shes probably a better use of his time

bluebrendan

He's always been a quitter, turned down City when Peter Reid and Sam Ellis were in charge, ended up joining some toss outfit in Catalonia.

bry the guy

Quote from: bluebrendan on May 20, 2015, 23:42:17

He's always been a quitter, turned down City when Peter Reid and Sam Ellis were in charge, ended up joining some toss outfit in Catalonia.
I remember that,the cheeky bastards wanted £300.000 for him.

reddishblue

Figo's withdrawal statement..

Running for president of FIFA resulted from a personal decision, taken after listening to many pertinent people in the realm of international soccer.
I sought out the support needed for me to stand, I formally presented my candidacy, and the reactions in the soccer world were so overwhelming â€" both in public and in private â€" that I was reassured that I had made the right decision.
The realm of a sport which gave me everything to become what I am, and to which I now offered to give something back, is hungry for change. FIFA needs change and I feel that the change is urgent.
Guided by that wish, by the formal support I collected, and by the incredible wave of support from soccer players, former players, coaches, referees and administrators, I imagined and presented a plan of action â€" my election manifesto for the FIFA presidency.
I traveled and met extraordinary people who, though they recognized the value of much that had been done, also concurred with the need for change, one that cleans up FIFA's reputation as an obscure organization that is so often viewed as a place of corruption.
But over the past few months I have not only witnessed that desire (for change), I have witnessed consecutive incidents, all over the world, that should shame anyone who desires soccer to be free, clean and democratic.
I have seen with my own eyes federation presidents who, after one day comparing FIFA leaders to the devil, then go on stage and compare those same people with Jesus Christ. Nobody told me about this. I saw it with my own eyes.
The candidates were prevented from addressing federations at congresses while one of the candidates always gave speeches on his own from the rostrum. There has not been a single public debate about each candidate's proposals.
Does anyone think it's normal that an election for one of the most relevant organizations on the planet can go ahead without a public debate? Does anyone think it's normal that one of the candidates doesn't even bother to present an election manifesto that can be voted on May 29? Shouldn't it be mandatory to present such a manifesto so that federation presidents know what they're voting for?
That would be normal, but this electoral process is anything but an election.
This (election) process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man - something I refuse to go along with.
That is why, after a personal reflection and sharing views with two other candidates in this process, I believe that what is going to happen on May 29 in Zurich is not a normal electoral act.
And because it is not, don't count on me.
I want it to be clear that I have deep respect for all world soccer, from Africa, where I got so much motivation, to Asia, where I have and will keep excellent relationships, through South America, where a new generation is emerging, and Central and North America, where so many who wanted to speak were silenced, and to Oceania, whose development we should all look at differently. And finally to Europe, where I felt there was space for normal and democratic debate, thanks to the endeavors of President (Michel) Platini.
I give my warmest thanks to everyone, because I want it to be clear that they are not the election committee and it is not they who want FIFA to become weaker and weaker.
For my part, I will abide by the ideas I leave written and have circulated, I am firm in my desire to take an active part in the regeneration of FIFA and I will be available for it whenever it is proven to me that we are not living under a dictatorship.
I do not fear the ballot box, but I will not go along with nor will I give my consent to a process which will end on May 29 and from which soccer will not emerge the winner.
My decision is made, I will not stand in what is being called an election for the FIFA presidency.
I offer my deepest thanks to all those who have supported me and I ask them to keep alive their desire for a regeneration which, though it may take some time, will come.

clevblue

A good, clear, statement of fact that will be politely heard, then ignored. That's the Fifa way as we know. I wonder how Blatter keeps them all down, and then they all cheer when he wins. WeIrd that is.

Swiss

too many people have too much to lose in letting a new regime in...

reddishblue

Thanks to the arrests the election may now be a livelier affair, assuming it goes ahead.

Lekos

Going ahead, as usual!  Expect nothing less! Sepp will get another 5 year term.  It will all be very boring and as expected, I'm sure.  Though when Sepp gets arrested, that will be exciting.

KunDB

Just drafting Sepp's speech for him now.

"Lads and gentlemen.

I thank you, for reselecting me in recognition of my past record of excellence.

Of course, I too was, just like you have been, shocked by the arrests this week. Of course, as you know I do everything in my power to crack down on corruption in football and maintain our reputation and credibility throughout the world. So let us not be hasty and presumptive by presuming guilt, let these fine and loyal servants of football have a fair trial and then when we see the outcome, and only then, will we need to consider what needs to be done, if anything at all. For now it is carry on as normal."

reddishblue

His statement today is truly ludicrous. Incredulous even.

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2015/m=5/news=statement-by-fifa-president-blatter-2609360.html

"This is a difficult time for football, the fans and for FIFA as an organisation. We understand the disappointment that many have expressed and I know that the events of today will impact the way in which many people view us.

As unfortunate as these events are, it should be clear that we welcome the actions and the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken to root out any wrongdoing in football.

While there will be many who are frustrated with the pace of change, I would like to stress the actions that we have taken and will continue to take. In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year.

Let me be clear: such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game. Following the events of today, the independent Ethics Committee â€" which is in the midst of its own proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups - took swift action to provisionally ban those individuals named by the authorities from any football-related activities at the national and international level. These actions are on top of similar steps that FIFA has taken over the past year to exclude any members who violate our own Code of Ethics.

We will continue to work with the relevant authorities and we will work vigorously within FIFA in order to root out any misconduct, to regain your trust and ensure that football worldwide is free from wrongdoing."

Swiss

I wonder, of those who have been investigated, if they are some of Sepp's biggest supporters...

reddishblue

EUFA's reaction should be interesting. Assuming there is one. FFP etc.

KunDB

Quote from: reddishblue on May 27, 2015, 21:42:45
His statement today is truly ludicrous. Incredulous even.

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2015/m=5/news=statement-by-fifa-president-blatter-2609360.html

"This is a difficult time for football, the fans and for FIFA as an organisation. We understand the disappointment that many have expressed and I know that the events of today will impact the way in which many people view us.

As unfortunate as these events are, it should be clear that we welcome the actions and the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken to root out any wrongdoing in football.

While there will be many who are frustrated with the pace of change, I would like to stress the actions that we have taken and will continue to take. In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year.

Let me be clear: such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game. Following the events of today, the independent Ethics Committee â€" which is in the midst of its own proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups - took swift action to provisionally ban those individuals named by the authorities from any football-related activities at the national and international level. These actions are on top of similar steps that FIFA has taken over the past year to exclude any members who violate our own Code of Ethics.

We will continue to work with the relevant authorities and we will work vigorously within FIFA in order to root out any misconduct, to regain your trust and ensure that football worldwide is free from wrongdoing."

Yes as I suspected all down to Sepp these bad apples have been rooted, even his vice president. Long reign Blatter.

reddishblue

Putin's comments might re-ignite the cold war.  :o