News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Taking the knee

Started by Stephen Paul, June 08, 2021, 08:51:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Should players still take the knee before kick off ?

Yes
7 (77.8%)
No
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Stephen Paul

For me I think it should be put to bed now

Think it has run its course

bluebrendan

Up to the players, if they want to carry on with it, where's the harm? If the people booing it are not racists, why does a few seconds gesture bother them so much?

Stephen Paul

Very true but sometimes your giving these morons who boo a bit of an audience

gavin

It is up to the players if they want to do it. I see absolutely no good reason to boo it.

Hesperus

The players have come out and said they want to do it help stop racism, nothing else. So if someone wants to boo the players they are clearly against stopping racism and hence admitting they are themselves in fact racist. They can try to pretend it’s a political thing but for the players it isn’t.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Spot on Hesp.

Taking a knee isn't going to stop racism, but the act has got plenty of people talking and it's talk that gets things changed, irrelevant of how difficult that talk is.

Racism will never end as long as there are idiots. But these idiots need to learnt to keep their opinions to themselves. Again, I doubt that will ever change, but once they start booing then the finger gets pointed at them, although they are actually pointing the finger at themselves.

lee

Im all for anything to stop racism but taking the knee is tied up with BLM and no political party should be affiliated with sport.

As Morgan Freeman recently said "“Stop talking about it, “I’m going to stop calling you a white man, and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.”

gavin

Black Lives Matter is not a political party

KunDB

For me each player should choose to do this or not to do this themselves. They can do it just before kick off, it does not need organised by the referee or authorities.

It is a political statement of sorts, as all things are inevitably, but primarily it is a gesture of support for people who suffer daily discrimination in our society and for footballers who suffer regular abuse on and off the field of play. 

The political right (including the countries disgraceful Prime Minister) in this country are in my opinion the ones who have sought to 'politicize' this matter and ignite dissent against it.

Clearly that is, in my opinion, because they do not want to remove inequality and discrimination from our society.

If taking a knee to condemn inequality and discrimination is a political gesture then we may as well all move to North Korea and just do what our leader(s) tell us to do, and societal change and progress will be dead.

Shame on the fans who boo players taking the knee, and their hiding behind political excuses that are hollow and totally insincere.

KunDB

Quote from: lee on June 08, 2021, 14:23:57
Im all for anything to stop racism but taking the knee is tied up with BLM and no political party should be affiliated with sport.

As Morgan Freeman recently said "“Stop talking about it, “I’m going to stop calling you a white man, and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.”

While I understand why Morgan Freeman said that, he is wrong. He is also a successful exception who now enjoys privilege and they cannot always speak for the majority disadvantaged others.

It’s my opinion that if you don't talk about what is happening in society is wrong you run away and don’t change society. If you pretend we are all equal nothing changes, when we clearly and blatantly are not all equal.

As a person who has witnessed a different but similar form of systematic discrimination all through life, I can safely say confront it do not accept it, but do not use violence as a means to change, confront it peacefully like taking a knee does.

lee

Quote from: gavin on June 08, 2021, 21:18:41
Black Lives Matter is not a political party

I never said it was.I was saying that any political stuff should be kept out of football just like when Pep got done for wearing his yellow ribbon.
BLM is a decentralized political and social movement and even themselves say so.

“BLM is proud to be a political organisation, but has no plans to set up a political party"

Confusing  ;D

lee

Quote from: KunDB on June 08, 2021, 23:00:45
While I understand why Morgan Freeman said that, he is wrong. He is also a successful exception who now enjoys privilege and they cannot always speak for the majority disadvantaged others.

It’s my opinion that if you don't talk about what is happening in society is wrong you run away and don’t change society. If you pretend we are all equal nothing changes, when we clearly and blatantly are not all equal.

As a person who has witnessed a different but similar form of systematic discrimination all through life, I can safely say confront it do not accept it, but do not use violence as a means to change, confront it peacefully like taking a knee does.

Morgan Freeman can say whatever he wants just like Zaha at Palace.Everyone is entitled to their opinion thankfully.

Hesperus

Quote from: lee on June 08, 2021, 14:23:57

I don’t think that’s case here though Lee. The England football team have made it clear it’s not about BLM. It’s just about them saying no to racism in their own way. They have stated that, so we should take them at their word and try not to conflate 2 different things. That’s why booing the England team just doesn’t make sense for this. If they boo, they are only booing a stand against racism and if they do that, what are they?  Racists.

KunDB

Quote from: Hesperus on June 09, 2021, 09:06:14
I don’t think that’s case here though Lee. The England football team have made it clear it’s not about BLM. It’s just about them saying no to racism in their own way. They have stated that, so we should take them at their word and try not to conflate 2 different things. That’s why booing the England team just doesn’t make sense for this. If they boo, they are only booing a stand against racism and if they do that, what are they?  Racists.

Exactly

Stephen Paul

Alot of different points here and confusing also

Thats what the general public are saying

Paddy

Racism in any sport or walk in life will never be completely erased certainly not in my life time ( that gives them approx 18 months). seriously it is far to embedded in everything we do

lee

Quote from: Paddy on June 09, 2021, 17:45:31
Racism in any sport or walk in life will never be completely erased certainly not in my life time ( that gives them approx 18 months). seriously it is far to embedded in everything we do

Sad reading that Paddy.Anyway up the blues!!

Stephen Paul

Republic of Ireland booed after taking the knee in Hungary

Neil Mcnab

Another American import we dont need. Bin it off.

Stephen Paul

It's awkward with so many people divided on the issue

KunDB

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on June 10, 2021, 22:10:37

On that skewed logic we must have imported inequality then. Another excuse to stop people peacefully protesting against being treated unfairly and unequally. Pathetic really.

Unknown Pleasures

If 'taking a knee' makes one person question their attitude towards racism then it's worth it. The booing of the gesture is the very reason the protest should go on; asking for it to stop is asking for inequality to continue.

You only have to look at Twitter this morning and the reaction to Raheem Sterling receiving an MBE to realise how bitter and twisted people can be.

Stephen Paul

Sterling will always be racially abused which is sad really

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Correct Stevie but that applies to any person of colour.

Swiss

I don't know why people are booing the knee.

It's ridiculous and the fans who boo should receive a 10 match stadium ban

Stephen Paul

Unfortunately you cannot ban someone for freedom of speech

gavin

You can ban someone for shouting racist comments so freedom of speech isn't really a thing. It is always freedom of speech to a reasonable extent. Not sure about banning people for booing myself but still I've a low opinion of those idiots.

Stephen Paul

It's difficult these days with alot of racists in crowds

Swiss

Quote from: gavin on June 21, 2021, 21:23:56
You can ban someone for shouting racist comments so freedom of speech isn't really a thing. It is always freedom of speech to a reasonable extent. Not sure about banning people for booing myself but still I've a low opinion of those idiots.

It will start to send a message. It's ridiculous to protest against a protest, that only lasts a minute!

The sooner tougher remedial action is applied, the better.

They should also be made to go on a list so they don't get in positions of working with vulnerable people.

Neil Mcnab

It is BLM based, it was brought in on that basis. They are now saying its nothing to do with BLM now, a bit like doing a roman salute and saying its nothing to do with Nazi idealogy. Equality, absolutely, but I dont support defunding the police and some other beliefs of BLM. As for booing, its fine to choose what people can and cant boo? In a free society, stopping criticism and other views you dont like is a very dangerous path to go down.

gavin

I don't think it is appropriate at all to compare taking a knee with Nazi salutes.

Stephen Paul

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on June 23, 2021, 18:38:24
It is BLM based, it was brought in on that basis. They are now saying its nothing to do with BLM now, a bit like doing a roman salute and saying its nothing to do with Nazi idealogy. Equality, absolutely, but I dont support defunding the police and some other beliefs of BLM. As for booing, its fine to choose what people can and cant boo? In a free society, stopping criticism and other views you dont like is a very dangerous path to go down.

This will become an issue that you cannot boo the opposition

Hesperus

Colin Kaepernick stated the act of taking the knee during the American national anthem because he could not show pride in a flag that oppressed black people. So when it started it had no links to BLM. BLM then started to use it and when England used it they made it clear it was not in support BLM but as a stand against racism.

If someone wants to link it to BLM when the players have made it clear it’s not about that. They are just wrong.

Swiss

Is there any actual, factual link to the England football team taking the knee and defunding police?
If there is, I'd like to see it because that sounds like a trumping shite sentence!

lee

The whole thing is becoming embarrassing.
They carried on playing the music really loud when England got on their knees again to cover up the booing.

Hesperus

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on June 23, 2021, 18:38:24
As for booing, its fine to choose what people can and cant boo? In a free society, stopping criticism and other views you dont like is a very dangerous path to go down.

No one is saying anything against free speech. If someone wants to boo that’s entirely their right. But if someone boos something that they know is a protest against racism. Then they are supporting racism and as such racist.

Stephen Paul

So you can't boo anything or anyone when a team takes the knee but you can boo at any other times including national anthems

Strange

Stephen Paul

I am certainly not against taking the knee but just think it has run its course

Hesperus

Do you think the footballers think it’s run it’s course? If they do then they’ll stop it.

Stephen Paul

Some teams have stopped it

lee

Quote from: Hesperus on June 24, 2021, 11:28:51
Do you think the footballers think it’s run it’s course? If they do then they’ll stop it.

Watching the Euro's most of them have.

Paddy

Apparently Germany have aid that they will "take the knee".....

Stephen Paul

KunDB

Yesterday we saw the outcome of falsely conflating taking the knee to condemn racism in football with denying free speech as Boris and Priti did giving licence to the racists in our society. Shame on them, but no surprise or shock as they have form for this type of despicable behaviour.

Sean Grady sums it up well. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/euros-racism-knee-boris-johnson-patel-b1882493.html 

"Why did booing at taking the knee become the great totem of free speech in Britain? It is worrying because “free speech” is a cause that is now being debased by people who just want to be able to voice race and religious hate, to wind up minority groups and verbally abuse them".

Unknown Pleasures

Quote from: stephenmcfc on June 21, 2021, 09:01:28
Unfortunately you cannot ban someone for freedom of speech

But you can ban them for racism which, in effect, it is.

Normal civilised people who support equality will not be the ones booing. The Neanderthals of society who do have no place in any sporting stadium anywhere in the world.

Unknown Pleasures

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on June 10, 2021, 22:10:37

Considering Britain was one of the chief exporters of racism, in the form of slavery, it's only fitting we import an attempt at ending it...

Stephen Paul

Players from all 20 Premier League clubs say they will continue to take the knee as a symbol of their "unity against all forms of racism".

The Premier League "wholeheartedly support" the decision that has been made.

A 'No Room For Racism' sleeve badge will also be worn by players and match officials on their shirts.

The opening game of the season sees newly promoted Brentford host Arsenal on Friday, 13 August.

In February, Brentford announced they would no longer be participating in the gesture as the west London club felt it had lost the required impact.

However, it is understood Brentford players have agreed to take part.

Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha also said earlier this year that players "should stand tall", and reiterated his view that taking the knee was "degrading".

Players began taking the knee in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement after the Premier League's 100-day hiatus because of the coronavirus pandemic in June 2020.

In a statement, the players said: "We feel now, more than ever, it is important for us to continue to take the knee as a symbol of our unity against all forms of racism.

"We remain resolutely committed to our singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice wherever it exists, to bring about a global society of inclusion, respect and equal opportunities for all."

Richard Masters, Premier League chief executive, said they would continue to work with clubs, players and football partners to bring about "tangible change" and remove "inequality" from the game.

Following England's penalty shootout defeat by Italy in the Euro 2020 final, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were racially abused online after missing penalties.

There was also booing as England players took the knee in the run-up to the tournament this summer.

Hesperus

Where did you get that report from Stephen?