News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

VAR FA Cup

Started by Stephen Paul, January 09, 2023, 09:31:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Paul

Why have it at some venues and not at others?

for me the games without VAR were better

As for the dippers game, it was embarrassing with VAR 

KunDB

Using it partially is just stupid, using it incorrectly then during a game Liverpool Wolves is ridiculous and Mike Dean centric. If it is to be used, use it properly with proper angles all available.

How the Salah goal was allowed is beyond my mental capacity. How the Wolves 'winning' Goal was disallowed by VAR is further beyond me. Just ruining football to test and bake our referees.

bbk

Aye, both the Salah and Toti outcomes were very Liverpool decisions. Putting the onus on the defender to know he is offside, leave the ball, and rely on VAR having the right angles to make correct decision.

Gareth

The first sentence of the current offside law states "It is not an offence to be in an offside position."

It's been like that for quite a while. So, on the basis of the current laws, what would be the reason for ruling out Salah's goal? Looked to me like the defender made a mistake and the forward took advantage, I don't see where any offence was committed.

bbk

You might be right, I am not familiar with the rules. This fact should probably preclude me from commenting...

I always go for the interfering with play angle (is that a factor in the rules?):  If Salah isn't there, the defender doesn't play the ball, and Salah is offside. The defender can't be expected to make those judgements. To me, it's in the same family as obstructing the GK view from an offside position.

Gareth

Yep, I might be right. It's Law 11. I had to learn this stuff when I trained to be a (youth level SFA) coach. Had to do child protection, first aid, etc etc,... and refereeing, before we got on to anything like actually coaching young footballers how to play the game!

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Obviously I don't expect you to change your opinion, and I'm not looking for an argument; but from my perspective, looking at the action and reading the law, no offence was committed.

gavin

You're forgetting the following law of refereeing which is observed above all others:-

Any decision against Liverpool or Manchester United at Anfield or Old Trafford respectively has to be completely incontrovertible. There must be no way of getting out of giving a decision against them. In particular, James Milner must be allowed to kick Phil Foden up and down the wing without being sent off and Liverpool players are allowed to handle the ball in the box unless they use sellotape or other sticky substance to permanently attach it.

bbk

Quote from: Gareth on January 10, 2023, 12:03:19
Yep, I might be right. It's Law 11. I had to learn this stuff when I trained to be a (youth level SFA) coach. Had to do child protection, first aid, etc etc,... and refereeing, before we got on to anything like actually coaching young footballers how to play the game!

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Obviously I don't expect you to change your opinion, and I'm not looking for an argument; but from my perspective, looking at the action and reading the law, no offence was committed.

Nor I, and I am always happy to cede to the more informed. You've proven me wrong, though, so I have changed my opinion.

KunDB

Quote from: Gareth on January 10, 2023, 12:03:19

It is not an offence to be offside, until the player becomes active and in this case no defender in the world is going to just leave that cross and hope Salah gets ruled offside. That would be madness, so the very fact Salah was there means he was active and therefore offside in my, and any reasonable football fans I'm guessing, opinion. Salah, Haaland or anyone else if he is not offside the rule is wrong. Not easy for referees I agree, but that just lets them kop out of ruling the goal out at Anfield. Easy opt out option.

Gareth

I'll choose to bow out of this gracefully here, knowing from experience that it's impossible to reason with certain people, and thus not wanting to waste my time trying.

jingoe

As Jimmy Hill - remember him? - used to say ' If a player isn't interfering with play what the hell is he doing on the field in the first place!'

KunDB

Quote from: Gareth on January 10, 2023, 17:39:07
I'll choose to bow out of this gracefully here, knowing from experience that it's impossible to reason with certain people, and thus not wanting to waste my time trying.

It is hardly even an argument Gareth, just us humble football fans expressing our views and interpretation of rules which is a healthy pursuit done respectfully. Each and every poster here is entitled to have their own opinion so no need to 'bow out gracefully'. I and others on here respect that other people have alternate views and no one has a monopoly on being always right. Shouldn't stop a healthy discussion on the rules of football mind.