News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Hey Terri...

Started by BongoBlue, April 02, 2016, 04:40:14

Previous topic - Next topic

BongoBlue

Looks like my little girl may be going to college down your way. She is deciding between Johns Hopkins or Georgetown. Two pretty good "institoochuns" of learning.
Obviously way smarter than her old man...;)

Anyway, if she chooses Hopkins, we may have to get more familiar with the delights of beautiful downtown Baltimore. I may be asking you for info on any bars that show City games next fall... 8) And of course, any decent Irish bars.

Victoria

Good morning Bongo, I don't know Baltimore that well but  the Slainte Bar in Fells point a short taxi ride from the inner harbor may be your best choice, it is engineered towards soccer from all over the world and Rugby, also there are a few Irish Bars on W. Pratt Street and in Camden that i cannot remember the names, but stay in those areas for your safety.
I only had an office in Baltimore and did not stick around too much. I hope your daughter chooses Hopkins it is a really good university, but be careful, it is sited in North East Baltimore - east Baltimore;dangerous areas but safer than West/South West Baltimore .
'My neck of the woods' I laughed at that one,  for the last two and a half years have live in Allegany County, which is in the mountains of West Maryland; a three hour + drive from Baltimore, I went through a nasty divorce and decided to go live where it is quite and safe for my daughter to grow up ( who is now two :).
Good luck to your daughter with her studies, if successful both Universities will provide a great career for her, once on her resume.
Victoria. :-*

BongoBlue

Hi Terri; sorry I thought that you were still in Baltimore...sorry to hear of the divorce. Hope all is good now; sounds like it is. Can't believe that your daughter is two already...let me tell you, they grow up fast. Seems like a short few years ago that mine was that age and now she is going to college in a few month.. :o

Yeah she was thinking of Hopkins; we visited there last year. We stayed in the Camden Yards area which was nice but I do remember that the school was quite a distance from there and I wasn't sure about the neighbourhood to be honest. And while she is thrilled to get into Hopkins, it looks like she is very much leaning toward Georgetown at this point.

Hey it's not a bad choice to have between those two. She's done very well.

Gareth

[Alert - all you Citymancs who read this - message contains spoilers for those who haven't yet seen The Exorcist!]  :o

Hi Bongo,
This info comes courtesy of my Georgetown-based daughter, who is pretty much a walking film-encyclopaedia...
So, it's widely-known that Georgetown University was the location used for much of the filming of The Exorcist... including the steps down which Father Damien Karras falls to his death at the end of the movie.
But, unless you were concentrating, it might have slipped past you that Father Damien was educated at Johns Hopkins!
I'll leave it to you as to whether all this is suitable to be passed on to your own daughter!
Gareth

Victoria

Quote from: BongoBlue on April 03, 2016, 18:22:06
Hi Terri; sorry I thought that you were still in Baltimore...sorry to hear of the divorce. Hope all is good now; sounds like it is. Can't believe that your daughter is two already...let me tell you, they grow up fast. Seems like a short few years ago that mine was that age and now she is going to college in a few month.. :o

Yeah she was thinking of Hopkins; we visited there last year. We stayed in the Camden Yards area which was nice but I do remember that the school was quite a distance from there and I wasn't sure about the neighbourhood to be honest. And while she is thrilled to get into Hopkins, it looks like she is very much leaning toward Georgetown at this point.

Hey it's not a bad choice to have between those two. She's done very well.

bongo, I never lived in Baltimore, just went to ball games and football with my ex, I also know it is a far way from Hopkins to Camden Yards/inner harbor as I used to go to Hopkins a lot when my ex had cancer back in 2010. after-all, you are going North to South, however, staying in Towson would be easier, more safer.
The whole point of this is your daughter has done a terrific job to be offered places at those two Universities; you must be a very proud father :) Well done!

ps. Raven was 2 last month. I want her to go to Cambridge or Oxford providing she wants to go to university. :)

BongoBlue

Thanks Tori. Yeah she has done very well and has worked so very hard so she absolutely deserves it. I just have to somehow come up with the shekels to pay for it. But I will, especially when both schools gave her a very nice wedge of scholarship money so a large amount of the "pain" has been taken away. ;)
Interestingly enough, when you say Oxford or Cambridge for Raven, we did seriously consider sending Maria to Trinity College in Dublin. They came looking for her some time ago and of course I still have Irish citizenship but she was more hell  bent on the schools she applied to here so we nixed the idea. (Pity...could have had a couple of nice trips home to see her plus Manchester is a short flight from Dublin...etc. etc. Ah well...;) )

Hey Gareth, I did know about the Exorcist being filmed in Georgetown and will be visiting the famous steps in a couple of weeks but I did not know that Father Damien had gone to Hopkins. Now I must watch it again.

Your daughter should contribute to IMDB...:)