News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

eu, in or out

Started by goat, May 30, 2016, 12:59:08

Previous topic - Next topic

reddishblue

Swiss

Quote from: lee on June 24, 2016, 23:11:48
Quote from: Swiss on June 24, 2016, 18:29:56
Might not be for long!

how do you know!!

I don't. It'll all depend on the trade deals. Those who don't want to gamble will pull back into Europe and export to Britain. We'll pay a higher price for it.
Those who adopt the suck it and see approach might win big, or lose hard. If everyone starts pulling out the gov will have to cut corporation tax.
There's too many variables that'd it'd take hours to draft. We'll just have to wait and see.

Swiss

Quote from: Tori on June 25, 2016, 00:01:56
so guys,what is it like to taste freedom? good isn't it!  :)

Misnomer

We are no more free or bound than we were 24 hours ago.
EU suggested laws, it was up to the member countries to adopt. If you didn't comply with certain laws, you couldn't trade. Foodstuffs have become a lot safer with lots of chemicals banned (as one example).

The EU have been great for certain things: Human Rights & Courts of Justice. Free Trade and movement has been great. It wasn't perfect, I'm not a staunch advocate of the current model. But I think (and it's my opinion) that we as a country were stronger in the EU.

What I fear is, is that if someone like Farage gets in power, the EU are no longer there to stop him should he decide to implement far right plans. A bit like if Trump gets in power in the US and decides to chuck out the Muslims.
Talk about going back to the dark ages, that's what Edward I did in 1290!

The economy we'll have to see what happens... I don't think even the experts can agree on what's going to happen.

Ludo

Quote from: Tori on June 25, 2016, 00:01:56
so guys,what is it like to taste freedom? good isn't it!  :)

How would you know? Your country's federal system of government is exactly what the Brexit brigade voted against. So whys it good enough for the richest confederation of states in the world and not for us?

Victoria

Ludo, it does not work, too many states with different ideologies, different laws (states rights), and a federal government that goes against the people's will. For example, gun laws, it is easy to get guns in some states and difficult in others. Another difference is the fact that Britain can get out, whereas, any state here cannot; look what happened last time states tried to break away. The only thing keeping the states together is the federal funding, just like Europe, some states pay less and get more while others pay more and get less; familiar? however, some states now are beginning not to care about the federal government as it goes against their laws and ideology; look what is happening in the Carolina's as an example. If states here could break away, believe me, they would in a heart beat.

bluebrendan

So the turkeys voted for Christmas, I hope they've all got jobs in 10 years time.

Definitely should be a general election now, I wouldn't trust Johnson, Gove etc to negotiate their way out of a paper bag on good terms.

Ludo

The trouble is any negotiations will be done from a position of weakness and countries like Germany and France can afford to be hard-ass about it.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Ludo on June 25, 2016, 13:28:22
The trouble is any negotiations will be done from a position of weakness and countries like Germany and France can afford to be hard-ass about it.

This  ::)

I suppose it depends on what the UK has to offer countries like Germany and France (answers on a postcard). Might not be very much if most of the financial institutions in The Square Mile debunk to Frankfurt.

Lekos

I have a mate who lives in Frankfurt and owns a couple of businesses there. He said that although overall Germany wanted the UK to stay, the local authorities in Frankfurt are delighted we left.

Lots more jobs, commerce and increase in property value heading their way.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: Ludo on June 25, 2016, 13:28:22

I don't claim to know much about politics at all but....

How and why did the UK allow themselves to get into such a vulnerable state where they are reliant upon other countries kindness, or should I say not allowing them to be put into such a position where they can get shafted?

Being an NHS employee It's all I've heard since the results and currently being a bit pissed I thought I'd you know, cry into my rum.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Something along those lines anyway

Ludo

You'll be ok. Didn't the leave campaign promise the NHS an extra £350 million a week.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Lekos

I think that was the joke Aaron lad.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Ludo

Sorry mate it was meant to be tongue in cheek 😉

The Blue Blooded Maniac

reddishblue

This the most sensible discussion yet on the EU. Thanks goat.

The vitriol that is that is now being exposed is a pleasure to behold. If anyone doubted for a moment that politicians are nowt but load of self serving twats then look at the fallout.

The behaviour of recently resigned/sacked labour MP's shows that to be true.

reddishblue

Please insert *nominally* before labour. It will make more sense.

lee

steptoe wont resign eh!