News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

wilfred bony

Started by rogerpalmer, December 31, 2014, 10:50:28

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

It seems a lot but that's the way of the world these days. Frankly I'm glad it isn't me gambling that money. It would be a gamble. We need to get someone. But if he's off for the African cup I'd lean towards no.

Ludo

I think he's the leading scorer in the league for 2014 but probably better bought in the summer if he's still available.

Rowley Birkin QC

The recent chatter linking Bony with City looks pretty genuine to me. Enough plausible detail now to set it above the usual media speculation / rumour peddling. City are interested and testing the waters - and I don't think the African Cup is an issue for the City high-ups. I think they want another proven striker - and want one this window.

Bony might not be the only option we are looking at that though. One or two other names perhaps flying below the radar at the moment.

Swiss

Looks strong, decent in the air and can control the ball at his feet!

33 goals in 69 apps for swansea almost a 1 in two

Better than Dzeko's: 70 goals in 171 apps

As said above, the only negative is he's off to the African cup!

Rowley Birkin QC

Always a chuckle when newspapers start to hedge their bets and write contradictory articles on the same subject.

Daily Mule now claiming (Ian Ladyman this time) that FFP and Champions League restrictions mean it is very unlikely City will acquire anyone this window. Usual waffle based on something Pellegrini said in an interview - can't be arsed linking to it.

Ludo

According to Sky (and various other sources) we're in advanced talks with Swansea for his signature.

Zabba

He would be a good buy but not at £30m or near that figure. Good player can hold the ball, stretch defences and score. He would be my choice of those available this transfer window with PL experience.

reddishblue

This £30m figure is being touted around quite a bit. No-one knows the value of the deal except the parties involved.

andy1966

And there was me thinking we were in a position to attract world class players
and he's another one who will sod off every 2 years with Yaya then do next to nowt when he gets back ;D

just read that Morocco decided not to host it for fear of fans and players from  infected African countries spreading Ebola
sounds sensible to me

clevblue

Pelle has always said we need 4 strikers and he will be pressing the club, I've no doubt. Aguero's back in training

bluebrendan

Quote from: Zabba on January 06, 2015, 18:50:51
He would be a good buy but not at £30m or near that figure. Good player can hold the ball, stretch defences and score. He would be my choice of those available this transfer window with PL experience.

There's always a premium to be paid for January transfers, clubs don't really want to have to replace their best players mid-season. It's probably nearer £25m + some bonuses if we win the title or CL.

goat

with any luck swansea still think sinclair is good and can palm that twot off on them

Lekos

Quote from: andy1966 on January 06, 2015, 21:00:49
just read that Morocco decided not to host it for fear of fans and players from  infected African countries spreading Ebola

Just the one month late then.  That's pretty quick for you.

I think this Bony transfer is a bit pointless to be honest.  By the time he's back from AFCON all our forwards will most likely be fit.  I guess then Jovetic will be binned off in the summer. 

Ludo

We've never replaced Negredo so signing the best striker of 2014 makes perfect sense.

He's had a season and a half in the premier league, he averages a goal every other game and it means sergio can be rested more often.

Lekos

I agree with what you're saying Ludo, I just question the timing.

Ludo

Better now than never.

We 're buying a proven striker and his price, unless he has a disastrous end to the season, won't drop plus we really need a 4th striker.

Lekos

Could have had him for £19m in the summer, probably had something to do with FFP though.  I'm sure he'll bank the goals in either way. 

Leewonpen

Not sure how we do this and stay inside our nett spend limit unless we sell players?

Leewonpen

Possible that one of Jovetic/Dzeko may leave in the summer?

Neil Mcnab

He is coming in for a few reasons, but the fact he can play in the chumps league is a big factor. Jovetic or Dzeko will surely go in the summer.
Lavezzi might have been cheaper and more versatile.
Jorge Resurrección Merodio or Pogba would have been my choice. Or Barclay if we needed to boost the "local" players.

andy1966

Is Dzeko injured or just totally out of favour ?

Lekos

Is Lavezzi even that good? He's only scored 14 goals in France since 2012. Can't see Jovetic staying, unfortunately

gavin

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on January 07, 2015, 19:33:21
He is coming in for a few reasons, but the fact he can play in the chumps league is a big factor.

Going to have to leave someone out somewhere to name 4 strikers though.

andy1966

Bony's told Sky news , he's agreed to join City   Another ACoN Absentee !

alexsam

It would appear we have been allowed to book the entire amount of the Negredo sale in this current monitoring period - about £27m inc £3m loan fee.

We had a £13m underspend from the summer.

In essence, we have around £40m to spend in this window BEFORE any sales of Guidetti, Sinclair and Nastasic.

Bony is more than covered, as is the potential for another circa £20m plus player if we so wished.

More and more, I believe UEFA and City concocted this whole show.

Neil Mcnab

Going to have to leave someone out somewhere to name 4 strikers though.
[/quote]
Sagna

bry the guy

deal agreed £25m plus £3m add ons i for one am very happy we are signing him.

bry the guy

You just beat me to it.

Ludo

If it works out it has the potential to be a great signing. He has a year and a half of premier league experience and scores goals in a team that plays a similar passing style as us. So hopefully he won't take just as long to settle in as Mangala.

Zabba

I think this is a very good signing, power, pace, ability to hold ball and ability to be effective and score. He is a handful for defences and in my opinion a big step up on Dzeko and hopefully he will form a good partnership with Aguero.

About time we changed some of our misfiring inconsistent strikers.

goat

having a striker thats decent in the air might mean navas has a use or at the least stop him doing that thing where he aims for corner flags with his shooting

Zabba

Quote from: goat on January 11, 2015, 16:40:28
having a striker thats decent in the air might mean navas has a use or at the least stop him doing that thing where he aims for corner flags with his shooting

Badly needed, and we are absolutely useless at corners and free kicks into the box, unbelievably rubbish.

I often wonder how a team like us with so many big players can be so piss poor and ineffective at dead ball situations; attacking and defending.

I long ago give up any expectation that we might score from corners.

Also too many big players, like Hart, prone to mistakes every now and again. That needs to be properly addressed.

gavin

It is going to be a long wait to see him in action.

Zabba

Signed according to BBC report, leaked by Ivory Coast Federation seemingly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30812168

FIFCI ‏@FIFCI_tweet
Flash Info #Bony #Wilfried attaquant de l'équipe de #CIV vient de Signer avec @MCFC City ce Mercredi 14 Janvier 2015
#Bony #Wilfried Striker #CIV team has MCFC Sign with City this Wednesday, January 14, 2015

chocovla

Quote from: goat on January 11, 2015, 16:40:28

We might even score from a corner again. :o

goat

dont get carried away you crazy cloggy

Zabba

Somewhat pissed off Swansea (who mcfc are presumably waiting on to break news official),

There has been an angry response from Swansea over the announcement from the Ivory Coast Football Federation that Wilfried Bony's move to Manchester City has been completed.

"The club has not confirmed anything and say Ivory Coast have no right to comment on anything to do with the club," BBC Wales Sport report.

goat

only thing i can think of is someone came in with a late offer

Ludo

Hesperus

Good luck to him. Hope he succeeds for us. He can't certainly hold a ball up which is something I haven't seen for years at City.

gavin

Who was our last player called Wilf?

Swiss