News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Sanchez

Started by Neil Mcnab, April 12, 2017, 20:04:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Mcnab

I have convinced myself for some time that Sanchez is coming to us, ever since the game against Arsenal in December. He is keen to move on, though whether Arsenal will let him come to us is a different matter. We would be looking at at least four into three then. Jesus, Sterling, Sanchez, Sane and possibly Barker, Nolito and even Roberts. If he comes in, Kun is sure to move on.

The link below is a rumour based on Chilean radio, so hardly gospel. I think he would be on more than 200k.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premiership/manchester-city/arsenal-star-has-heart-set-on-200k-aweek-man-city-move-one-big-problem/

gavin

Would you swap him for Sergio as is suggested in some places? There's no doubting that Sanchez is a class player and probably does have more to his game than Sergio but he is also inclined to go missing and you can't argue with Sergio's goal record and legendary status. It is a tough on and no doubt. Does Jesus have the potential to be better than either?

Neil Mcnab

We cannot have both, I suppose. Sergio is a typical "selfish" striker, he will not play the best ball for the team. If he gets it at the D, or near, he will always bang it out wide. Naturally, he wants to get in the box to score himself. with the return. He often has the opportunity to put a colleague in for a chance to score themselves, but I havent seen him take that chance, or not very often.  Sanchez is a Gurdiola type player all day long, besides out wide, can play as cf and more. 

gavin

Aye I dont think Sergio has a single assist in the Prem this season.

I think Guardiola let Sanchez go previously but now admits he made a mistake.

Ludo

I wouldn't say no to Sanchez but we need to prioritise other positions.

Jesus and Gundogan will be the equivalent of two new signings next season and we desperately need fullbacks, a centre half and a goalie.

bbk

100% need to prioritise the defence. 

But we do need to be mindful of having adequate cover for Jesus, Sane and Sterling. If we sign Sanchez it will have to be with a view to him being first choice.

KunDB

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on April 13, 2017, 19:58:10
We cannot have both, I suppose. Sergio is a typical "selfish" striker, he will not play the best ball for the team. If he gets it at the D, or near, he will always bang it out wide. Naturally, he wants to get in the box to score himself. with the return. He often has the opportunity to put a colleague in for a chance to score themselves, but I havent seen him take that chance, or not very often.  Sanchez is a Gurdiola type player all day long, besides out wide, can play as cf and more.

We can have both.

Just play Sergio in nets, have you seen his footwork it is first class even Bravo cannot match it and it will save us the cost of buying a new goalie. 

gavin

I don't actually think that Sergio's footwork is that good at times.

KunDB

Quote from: gavin on April 14, 2017, 13:29:27
I don't actually think that Sergio's footwork is that good at times.

Are you saying his footwork is not as good as Bravo?

gavin

When you look at our second goal against Hull you should see Pep's point about Bravo. It hasn't worked out so for because of his run of form at saving. However, yes, I do doubt that Sergio is capable of such play under pressure. It is just not his game.

KunDB

Fair enough, goodbye Sergio. Bravo is good with his footwork even under pressure mostly. It is the not so good times and the inability to keep a shot out that worries most.

I understand Peps play from the back philosophy and I am ok with that.

That said, there are times we just have to apply the rule of common sense and not do it to avoid bringing pressure immediately back on us. Times like when the other team are pressing hard and there is no safe outlet.

Pep just does not get that or does not want to compromise (just like when he chooses Bravo to start), he is a master of football managers but can be foolishly stubborn at times.

gavin

I don't think it's goodbye Sergio because I don't think he's able to play the ball well under pressure in defence. His job after all is to score goals. I don't think he's had a great season even though he has a lot of goals. But he still has a lot and there are not many better strikers in the world!

I'm a bit annoyed by his stupid suspensions and the number of chances he and we as a team have missed this season. A swap involving Sanchez is worth considering because of the quality of Sanchez. But certainly we would need to be guaranteed to bring in a world class striker to replace Sergio before letting him go. Jesus is great but we need more than one. Kelechi hasn't quite shown it yet but his goal record is good enough to persevere with him in the squad.

Kilkenny Blue

I think Sergio is only a shadow of the player he was.  OK he's getting the goals but his actual impact in the games isn't what it was.  I'd take Sanchez as a replacement.

gavin

Both 28, I thought Sergio was a bit older but he is only by half a year. It is still a tricky one for me. I rate Sanchez a lot but it is a brave move to let Sergio go at around his peak. I've heard a few comments that he looks a bit slower but he should have a couple years left yet really.

Swiss

No reason they can't play in the same team, especially as we play a front 3

gavin

Sanchez, Sergio and Jesus. That is some strike force. I'm not sure we could keep all three happy. We need to fit Sane and Sterling in somewhere. Sane, Sterling and Jesus looked good to me.

Swiss

I don't see why not, it's a long old season and it's a squad game

Paddy

Good player, has a few issues, not an exceptional player, needs support, cannot see a place in the present team, age is against him like so many of our present team, Need "young" blood. We tried for him before he went to Bacca, spent cartridge soon