News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Citymancs fantasy league

Started by Gareth, May 22, 2017, 09:57:14

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebrendan

Congrats Gareth and Andy on the top two positions.

Gav and Lee need to get their act together for the admin battle, it's too easy.  :D

Quote from: goat on May 22, 2017, 11:36:23
so he choked liked in nfl

Says the man who bottles out of entering.  :P

goat

fine, ill do it next season

zacc

Gareth

Some thoughts on City players in Fantasy League. The default position for many City fans is to pick an initial squad with Sergio as Captain and regard this as a 'set and forget' position. The upside of this is that we know he's going to score a shitload of goals over the course of the season. The downside is that he costs a lot of your fantasy budget (meaning compromises in the rest of the squad) and he gets cards and injuries, resulting in missed games.

Also - and this applies to all City players, not just Sergio - as far as Fantasy League goes, Pep is not your friend. Fantasy League requires great performances plus consistency of selection, and I think Pep changed his starting XI more than any other PL manager over the course of the season. It wasn't until very near the end of the season that he selected an unchanged starting XI. If you are going to pick City players, you are basically saying you can second guess Pep's selections. Good luck with that.

Defensively, John Stones should have been fantasy gold, since City bought him after he had been priced up in the game as an Everton reserve. Unfortunately this was an accurate assessment - he had feet like fresh bread. But the main problem with City defenders in Fantasy League was poor goalkeeping, which meant that clean sheets were a rarity. Basically, with Bravo in goal, no City defender was a sensible fantasy pick.

By the end of the season, I wound up with Caballero, Sane and G Jesus in my team. After Bravo got injured, Caballero was a certain starter and the remaining fixtures looked ok. By then, Sane and G Jesus were fit, in form and reasonably priced - although both are likely to be much more expensive next season. Apart from that, Sergio was in and out of my team all season, Sterling made a few appearances and Stones was in my season-starting squad until I could shift him. No-one else.

Over the years, it's not been easy to pick out City players who have been surefire fantasy gold. There was Yaya in his wonder season, of course, but my pick as the number one City player for Fantasy League in terms of return for investment would be Carlos Tevez.

shandon

I had Sane in my team for the last few months as well - and Jesus from when he came back from the injury - because unlike Sergio you knew Pep would pick him  :)

lee

Quote from: bluebrendan on May 25, 2017, 20:58:57
Congrats Gareth and Andy on the top two positions.

Gav and Lee need to get their act together for the admin battle, it's too easy.  :D

Says the man who bottles out of entering.  :P
There must have been some cheating going on..The first time you have both finished above me  :)

gavin

KDB was our top scorer and 7th overall. I reckon he'll do even better next season when he finds his shooting boots.

goat

Quote from: Gareth on May 27, 2017, 18:29:49
Some thoughts on City players in Fantasy League. The default position for many City fans is to pick an initial squad with Sergio as Captain and regard this as a 'set and forget' position. The upside of this is that we know he's going to score a shitload of goals over the course of the season. The downside is that he costs a lot of your fantasy budget (meaning compromises in the rest of the squad) and he gets cards and injuries, resulting in missed games.

Also - and this applies to all City players, not just Sergio - as far as Fantasy League goes, Pep is not your friend. Fantasy League requires great performances plus consistency of selection, and I think Pep changed his starting XI more than any other PL manager over the course of the season. It wasn't until very near the end of the season that he selected an unchanged starting XI. If you are going to pick City players, you are basically saying you can second guess Pep's selections. Good luck with that.

Defensively, John Stones should have been fantasy gold, since City bought him after he had been priced up in the game as an Everton reserve. Unfortunately this was an accurate assessment - he had feet like fresh bread. But the main problem with City defenders in Fantasy League was poor goalkeeping, which meant that clean sheets were a rarity. Basically, with Bravo in goal, no City defender was a sensible fantasy pick.

By the end of the season, I wound up with Caballero, Sane and G Jesus in my team. After Bravo got injured, Caballero was a certain starter and the remaining fixtures looked ok. By then, Sane and G Jesus were fit, in form and reasonably priced - although both are likely to be much more expensive next season. Apart from that, Sergio was in and out of my team all season, Sterling made a few appearances and Stones was in my season-starting squad until I could shift him. No-one else.

Over the years, it's not been easy to pick out City players who have been surefire fantasy gold. There was Yaya in his wonder season, of course, but my pick as the number one City player for Fantasy League in terms of return for investment would be Carlos Tevez.

whats your opinion on the old tactic of picking defenders that dont play, saves losing you a shedload of  points over the year

Gareth

So,my opinion, or at least 'what I do', is that I don't deliberately pick non-playing defenders.

At the start of the season, the cheapest defenders are usually priced at 4.0, and the next price-point is at 4.5. The FPL research guys are pretty good, and there's a good chance that none of the 4.0 defenders, and hardly any of the 4.5s, will be getting 90 minutes each week. If they're just going to warm your bench then picking a couple of 4.0s saves money to spend elsewhere, as you say. But I prefer to have a squad of 15 who all (under normal circumstances) play. You never know when you might need them.*

That said, you don't want to spend any more than necessary on your bench. For bench defenders, I usually look at newly-promoted teams who might play defensively (e.g., last season, Boro under Karanka). The newly promoted teams' players are usually priced lower, although next season the Mags might be an exception to that. Also, managers of newly-promoted teams can sometimes be conservative in terms of selection, so less prone to rotate their XI. So when the new season starts, I'll be doing my best to find two 4.5 defenders who will (usually) be on my bench, but who will be regular starters for their club. First stop Huddersfield or Reading.

Once the season gets going, sometimes an unexpected cheap option appears. Jordi Amat at Swansea was priced at 4.0 but was a regular starter - at least until Swansea started swapping managers, when he dropped off the radar. That reveals another problem with ultra-cheap picks - once they are in your squad, they are very difficult to replace, because all the likely alternatives are more expensive, so you may have to downgrade another squad position if you want to make the change. So Amat hung around in my squad for ages, not playing any more, because I couldn't afford to replace him. Best chance for that comes when you have a major re-think with a wild-card.

*This season's overall FPL winner was decided on the basis of an auto-substitution for a non-player made after the final week's games were over!

zacc

KDB was my main City player throughout other wise tend to steer clear of City players quite early on as ones I pick get injured!!  :D
So ensuring the real team stay fit by avoiding as much as possible. As per with me team did better towards the end than the start.   

Gareth

The problem with KDB as a fantasy pick last season is simply that he was overpriced. 7th highest scorer overall, ok, but he was the 2nd highest priced midfield player and only the 5th highest midfield points scorer. The fantasy budget doesn't allow ownership of many players from the top of the price range, so the ones you pick have to be the top performers. KDB cost 10.5 but performed like an 8.0 midfield player. He may start next season at 10.0, but even so, he'll have to up his fantasy game to justify that price-tag.

gavin

He just needs to finish like he did in his first season. He looked to be getting back to it towards the end of the season.

zacc

Quote from: Gareth on May 28, 2017, 13:35:37
The problem with KDB as a fantasy pick last season is simply that he was overpriced. 7th highest scorer overall, ok, but he was the 2nd highest priced midfield player and only the 5th highest midfield points scorer. The fantasy budget doesn't allow ownership of many players from the top of the price range, so the ones you pick have to be the top performers. KDB cost 10.5 but performed like an 8.0 midfield player. He may start next season at 10.0, but even so, he'll have to up his fantasy game to justify that price-tag.
and there;s why you win your analytic research while i just use gut instinct :D