News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

£45 million for Ederson

Started by gavin, May 28, 2017, 22:01:33

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Not cheap for a keeper!! Breaking News on Sky Sports News that he is joining us imminently.

gavin

I'm sure he'll make a good number two for Claudio

Ludo

If he can catch the ball then he's already a step ahead of Bravo.

goat

hart to sunderland or celtic then eh

they normally go through citys bins

nimrod

Quote from: goat on May 29, 2017, 02:45:42
hart to sunderland or celtic then eh

they normally go through citys bins
Didn't we win 2 titles with Hart ?

Hesperus

This is the one singing I'm most concerned about.

1 - it's a position that's become a major problem due to a poor call from Pepand now we have to spend huge when we really didn't need to.

2 - spending big a a player from the Portuguese league really hasn't worked well for us in the past!

3 - he's not a "conventional" keeper. Slaps at crosses rather than catching them etc. I can see a couple of high profile errors early on being heavily scrutinised by the media and he could be in the same position as Bravo was.

I really hope Tixi and Pep have got this one right.

goat

Quote from: nimrod on May 29, 2017, 08:33:58
Didn't we win 2 titles with Hart ?

didnt he have a fit vinny in front of him?

Gareth

Hart
Zabaleta Kompany Lescott Clichy
Barry (Dzeko - 69' ) Toure (De Jong - 44' )
Nasri Aguero Silva
Tevez (Balotelli - 75' )

As well as Joe, I suppose there's another 5 or 6 from that line-up no longer worthy of any respect.
Well, they gave me a day to remember at the end of a memorable season.

goat

well he hasnt exactly  covered himself in glory in italy either

Gareth

Quote from: goat on May 29, 2017, 13:14:15
well he hasnt exactly  covered himself in glory in italy either

"either" ??

Swiss

Quote from: Hesperus on May 29, 2017, 09:27:00
This is the one singing I'm most concerned about.

1 - it's a position that's become a major problem due to a poor call from Pepand now we have to spend huge when we really didn't need to.

2 - spending big a a player from the Portuguese league really hasn't worked well for us in the past!

3 - he's not a "conventional" keeper. Slaps at crosses rather than catching them etc. I can see a couple of high profile errors early on being heavily scrutinised by the media and he could be in the same position as Bravo was.

I really hope Tixi and Pep have got this one right.

To be fair, Bravo was Barcelona's No.1 at the time, keeping Ter Stegen out of the leauge side. I never rated him in the top tier of keepers in the world, but I don't think anyone expected him to be that shite. At 33/34, I don't think he was ever a long term signing, but meant to fill the gap before someone younger was available. He also should have served as a 'Lieutenant' in the squad, helping to install Pep's philosophy in the other players.

I'm with you on our track record for the Portugal players, but I thought we'd bought more from there. I can only find the following who directly came from the Primiera Liga in the last 10 years.
Mangala... Porto.
Fernando... Porto
Jave Garcia - Benfica.

Otamendi came via Spain - Porto
Geovanni came via Brazil - Benfica
But both played in Portugal previously.

Given our history, maybe Benfica players hold a better hope!

There's been one ex-pro who has commented on Ederson - Van der Sar
“Ederson has already shown in the Champions League that his talent is undisputed,” he told DN. “He is always focused and has an excellent reading of the game, even without the ball.
The English league is very different to the Portuguese one, with other types of players, more pressure, more intensity and with much more work.
I think Ederson needs another kind of challenge to feel another kind of pressure. But the talent is all there, he only needs to prove it under other conditions. I have no doubt that with the qualities he has can overcome anything.”

I've been watching his youtubes and certainly does like a save for the camera's...
But he's in that height zone where he is an effective keeper, 5 cm taller than Bravo at 188cm (6'2")
He's quick off his line (which some say makes him take unnecessary risks.
(The following are domestic stats, not-incl /Champs league)
He's got a save ratio of 4.08 saves to 1 goal.
To put that in perspective, Neuer's is 3.62, Buffon's is 2.65, Cech 2.64, De Gea 2.11, Ter Stegen 3.29, Handanovic, 2.22, Hart 1.49, Bravo 1.08, Keylor Navas 2.43, Courtois 2.15, LLoris, 2.78, Donnarumma 3.14. 
He has 17 Clean sheets out of 27.
Conceded 12 goals (most was 3 in a 3-3 draw). Which can be seen below.

He has an average claim success rate of 91%- Translates as - 1 x failed claim, 60 x successful. The most was 7 in a match.
And punches an average 22% of the time. This translates as 7 times in the season, with only one match punching twice.
Possibly his worst stat is his 70% distribution rate. Only 2 keepers in the list above rank lower than him, De Gea & Cech at 64%.
That said, except for Buffon (81%), Stegen (83%) & Neuer (84%), the rest are around the 70 to 78%).
Much has been made of his goal kick's being able to reach the opposition box, however I imagine this would be used sparingly at city. Infact, De Gea is the only keeper in that list to have an average pass length more than Ederson's, but that'll be because Utd are a long ball team  ;)

Neil Mcnab

What do the stats tell us, is he shit or shit hot? Or is at all lies, damn lies and Swiss.

Swiss

It gives us an idea that he's not shit, but not an idea of how good he is. Bit different in the /primiera Liga.

gavin

Thought his distribution would be outstanding...

Swiss

Aye, I'd have thought it'd be higher, but according to reports, he uses his massive goal kick a lot, which could result in it being lower than if he played in the city team and played it out to our defenders more.

gavin

Pep doesn't mind a long pass as long it is targeted to a player in space. As opposed to the hopeful punt up towards a lanky bastard like Fellaini.

Swiss

I wonder why we've not announced it. Maybe saving it for an unveiling on July 1st

gavin

I think there's some third party ownership issues to be surmounted.

Swiss

High hopes after last season!

I hope he'll grow into the team nicely.

Number 31 suggests the reports Bravo is to stay are true

goat

numbers mean nowt these days tone

could be lucky number or how many times hes picked up knob rot

nimrod

Quote from: goat on June 09, 2017, 22:29:21
numbers mean nowt these days tone

could be lucky number or how many times hes picked up knob rot

Guessing you'd be no 185 then  :D

Same with captain's,  meaningless

gavin

I still think a decent Captain should be making a difference on the field through leadership.

Swiss

I'm with Gav on this. A good captain rallies the team. Look at the difference with Vinny on the field.

Hesperus

Certainly a position we needed to sign a good player in. I really hope the player gets off to a good start. Keepers are all about confidence. Any high profile mistakes and he'll get annihilated by the British press unfortunately in the same way Bravo did.

Paddy

Scored twice from goal kicks