News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Ched Evans and Oldham Athletic agree terms

Started by andy1966, January 07, 2015, 11:52:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Swiss

What's the point of having a reformation system if you can't rejoin society?

reddishblue

citoeast

Quote from: goat on January 10, 2015, 11:50:46
must be some law about mob rule too

both sides are a bit shit

There are and those people posting or making threats against anyone are no better than Ched and like him need to be caught, charged and prosecuted.

citoeast

Quote from: Swiss on January 10, 2015, 16:53:15

Sadly we do not have a proper reform system. That aside, Ched is still serving his term of sentence and has strict restrictions on him, after the sentence is served he will go on the sex offenders register and continue to be monitored as such. He has lost certain freedoms and rights forever because of HIS actions. The point of a reformation system is to reform the criminal behaviour of offenders, something that requires acceptance that their behaviour was wrong in the first place, not to just let offenders carry on regardless when their sentence ends placing law abiding members of society at risk of them re-offending. The innocent have rights as well, the right to be protected from criminal predators, rapists, like Ched Evans.

He is so clearly remorseful of his criminal behaviour he finds no problem having his conviction of rape continually published day after day in newspapers; of course in his mind he is innocent and he needs protected from society. It is society that needs to reform, not him.

Neil Mcnab

Done his time. Its legal for him to play, he should. The rest is bullsh*t. He does not pose any more danger than any other footballer. Less, I would think.

Victoria

Chemically castrate him (or use a blunt knife) and let him play soccer!

citoeast

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on January 10, 2015, 23:49:29
Done his time. Its legal for him to play, he should. The rest is bullsh*t. He does not pose any more danger than any other footballer. Less, I would think.

So in your mind Neil a convicted rapist poses less threat than those who have never committed such a heinous act?

Really Neil, are you sure you are not just down playing this rape. Maybe because Ched is after all a 'footballer', a 'member of the footballing fraternity' who was never intent on raping someone, not a predator, just out with mates seeking to lay a 'bird'. It is not as if he beat her up and abused her and it is not his fault she was incapacitated and cannot remember giving consent. After all it is not as if he forcibly attacked the victim,  it not as such that he is a real RAPIST that society needs protected from.

Well I think you are entirely wrong in your thinking Neil and what you have said is seriously ill-conceived. Being legal to do does not make something morally right or acceptable to do. Having served a custodial sentence does not mean you are no longer a danger to society and pleading innocence after you have been convicted does not make you innocent.

As for the Oldham director who set out the reasons for Oldham trying to sign him for the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30762958

This is the longest 'I am totally thick and out of touch with reality' plea I have seen in many years.

Mr. Owen for your information your so called 'due diligence' assessment was clearly crap, as now proven, and you do not even mention having made consideration of moral reasons (he would be banned from engaging in most other professional activities by the professional body on moral grounds, but 'hey ho' not football, if we can do it and we can make money great).

Yes Ched Evans has a right to serve the remainder of his sentence out of prison, he also has a right to work and rehabilitate himself back into society (and I would defend that right vigorously) but he does not have and should not have in my opinion a specific right to play professional football. It is unacceptable whether or not legal that a convicted rapist (unrepentant) who just stroll in to such a role model job; young people would look up to his behaviour and feel this was how to behave as an adult. It is a matter for the profession of football to guard against such unfit persons being allowed to work, and it is long past time football got some morals and ethics and got its act together in this regard and acted to stop this ever happening again.

Neil Mcnab

The "moral" argument is based on christian morals, whether you believe or not. Someone much more in tune with that wrote that Christ lived with the outcasts, he hated the sin, but forgave the sinner. If those are the values you are talking about, you are taking your own interpretation.
Footballers and those in the music industry might be held in awe by some, but role models????
I know that we are way too lenient in sentencing in this country, but five years for rape? That on its own should have people scratching their heads.

Zabba

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on January 11, 2015, 19:05:32
The "moral" argument is based on christian morals, whether you believe or not. Someone much more in tune with that wrote that Christ lived with the outcasts, he hated the sin, but forgave the sinner. If those are the values you are talking about, you are taking your own interpretation.
Footballers and those in the music industry might be held in awe by some, but role models????
I know that we are way too lenient in sentencing in this country, but five years for rape? That on its own should have people scratching their heads.

I for one consider 5 years way too lenient for such a crime. The impact on victims is a life sentence with no parole.

I agree that sentencing in this country in general is way too lenient.

reddishblue

What's your opinion on the death penalty?

Ludo

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on January 11, 2015, 19:05:32
The "moral" argument is based on christian morals,

I don't believe for one minute that morals, in this case or any other, are based on merely Christian beliefs. Do Jews not have morals, Sikhs, Buddhists do they not have morals too. Morals are based on what's right.

In my job I have to be licenced and given a police security check every three years simply because I may on occasion have to deal with minors. Had I a conviction (even a lesser one than this) I'd have my licence taken away and could not, nor should not, be employed in the same field again. And take it from me my jobs nowhere near as high profile has Ched Evans'.

citoeast

I know loads of Christians and other believers in other religions that have dodgy morals and are happy to kill in the name of their religion, but as Ludo said morals are based upon doing what is right.

gavin

You don't seem to believe much in forgiveness though citoeast. Give the lad another chance I say.

Swiss

Quote from: citoeast on January 10, 2015, 19:57:29
Quote from: Swiss on January 10, 2015, 16:53:15

Sadly we do not have a proper reform system. That aside, Ched is still serving his term of sentence and has strict restrictions on him, after the sentence is served he will go on the sex offenders register and continue to be monitored as such. He has lost certain freedoms and rights forever because of HIS actions. The point of a reformation system is to reform the criminal behaviour of offenders, something that requires acceptance that their behaviour was wrong in the first place, not to just let offenders carry on regardless when their sentence ends placing law abiding members of society at risk of them re-offending. The innocent have rights as well, the right to be protected from criminal predators, rapists, like Ched Evans.

He is so clearly remorseful of his criminal behaviour he finds no problem having his conviction of rape continually published day after day in newspapers; of course in his mind he is innocent and he needs protected from society. It is society that needs to reform, not him.

I didn't realise you could rape people through a TV set!
Whilst I agree that there should be restrictions, basing those restrictions on the amount of money earned is discrimination.
In fact, he's less of a danger if he's in the public eye!

All this is going to do is end up with the lad topping himself!