News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

J Evans

Started by Moz1959, August 16, 2017, 17:30:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Moz1959

from Sky Sports -

"We understand Manchester City are interested in West Brom centre-back Jonny Evans.

We understand the Northern Ireland international has been on City’s radar for several weeks. One source has told us that City have already had a bid turned down by West Brom. However another has told us that discussions between the two clubs are yet to reach that stage."

Gareth

Please let it be a wind-up...

Neil Mcnab

Its in the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/16/exclusive-man-city-have-18m-jonny-evans-bid-rejected-west-brom/

I must be in a majority of one, but I think he is a really good defender.

zacc

KunDB

No no no

Furthermore even Utd fans know he cannot defend.

bluebrendan

Evans being an ex-rag doesn't bother me, we have had a few over the years, some good, some shit. It's his lack of pace that worries me playing in a high line, Mario leaving him for dead in the 6-1 is my main memory of him so although he qualifies as HG I'd rather we looked elsewhere.

gavin

Pep out. Every fooker out  >:(

Hesperus

Smacks a bit of desperation. It's a no from me.

goat

home grown!

could get stevie for less to fill our norn iron quota

KunDB

I sat in work every day listening to Man Utd fans slating his ability to defend and total lack of pace and used to sit smugly laughing inside. That made me watch him and how right they were, he was at his best just average to God damn awful at his worse which was most of the time.

I am beginning to think Pep has no clue about what qualities a good defender needs to hve. Blue Brendan got it spot on high line, no pace defender who cannot defend.

OMG are we really that stupid as a club to buy him who Utd got rid of and to bid £18m as well? I going to lie down now, this is beyond unbelievable.

Stephen Paul

Quote from: goat on August 16, 2017, 22:59:36
home grown!

could get stevie for less to fill our norn iron quota
decent player😀

nimrod

Might as well go in for Wes Brown as well
This has gotta be a fucking joke

He's slow and his pass rate is bad, and he's shit at defending

Give me Denayer anyday

Stephen Paul

Stones is no better

Gareth

Quote from: stephenmcfc on August 17, 2017, 13:48:52
Stones is no better

Quite so, but then why not get someone in who is better than both? Did we run out of money, or what?

bluebrendan

Quote from: Gareth on August 17, 2017, 14:03:22
Quite so, but then why not get someone in who is better than both? Did we run out of money, or what?
Well there was always a budget, I suspect that Alves deciding late in the day to join PSG threw the budget for a CB into a mess as we had to sign Danilo for £26m. Additionally Pep seems to want another attacker, probably Sanchez, and doesn't seem inclined to go cheaper on that option to allow a better quality CB to be bought in.

gavin

There must be a price for Evans where they realise that it is better value to spend more and get Van Dijk who is better and younger.

Gareth

I'm not sure Sanchez or whoever is going to be a whole lot of use after VK breaks and there we are with Evans and Stones at CB.

KunDB

Quote from: Gareth on August 17, 2017, 21:13:53
I'm not sure Sanchez or whoever is going to be a whole lot of use after VK breaks and there we are with Evans and Stones at CB.

Spot on and on VK staying fit rests our season, despite all the multi millions spent. It is simply bewildering and unbelievable.

Neil Mcnab

In Pep we trust, or we dont. Its a matter of when, not if with Vinny. Evans is then the leader if he comes in. As for Denayer being better, someones having a laugh. He is a level down. Denayer is no Usain Bolt either.

I understand the Baggies are more compressed than we are, but Evans is no mug. Surely their best player.

I believe that he wont let us down.

Dick VD is not coming in, too expensive, we are keeping a few bob back in case we can still get Sanchez in.

nimrod

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on August 18, 2017, 01:02:45
In Pep we trust, or we dont. Its a matter of when, not if with Vinny. Evans is then the leader if he comes in. As for Denayer being better, someones having a laugh. He is a level down. Denayer is no Usain Bolt either.

I understand the Baggies are more compressed than we are, but Evans is no mug. Surely their best player.

I believe that he wont let us down.

Dick VD is not coming in, too expensive, we are keeping a few bob back in case we can still get Sanchez in.

well for a start I never said Denayer was better, I said I prefer him to Evans, to pay (its now 30 million) for a 4th choice 29 year old with a lousy pass ratio, when you have young up and coming players who want to improve and prove they can do it is lousy imo. What is the point of an academy?
Pep is clearly not interested in youth, his only objective is to win some big trophy this season or he's out on his arse

KunDB

That Evans played for Utd is not important for me if he is top class and fits the need.

To pay around £30m for a proven dud defender who clearly will not fit in with our high line defence needs; which requires a pacey highly skilled defender, which Evans is not, is to me just sheer madness.

They need to rethink this, do we ever learn from past mistakes?

I would sooner get a young promising pacey talented central defender, who yes will make mistakes occasionally (as will Evans), but is at least an investment for the future.

This wreaks of desperation which Pulis will enjoy exploiting to the full.

lee

Quote from: Zabba on August 18, 2017, 11:34:23

I would sooner get a young promising pacey talented central defender, who yes will make mistakes occasionally (as will Evans), but is at least an investment for the future.

we have one..he's called john stones

shandon

Quote from: nimrod on August 18, 2017, 09:49:25
well for a start I never said Denayer was better, I said I prefer him to Evans, to pay (its now 30 million) for a 4th choice 29 year old with a lousy pass ratio, when you have young up and coming players who want to improve and prove they can do it is lousy imo. What is the point of an academy?
Pep is clearly not interested in youth, his only objective is to win some big trophy this season or he's out on his arse

I don't think pep is too worried about his job security. We have some promising young players but not at CB really.

Gareth

No-one has mentioned Tosin in all of this. He must be a "promising young player" at CB? I don't really think he's quite ready - bit surprised he hasn't gone out on loan - if he's hanging around in Manchester behind VK (obviously), Stones, Ota, Mangala, Denayer (who all have squad numbers I think) and now Evans, what good is that going to do him or the club?

KunDB

Quote from: lee on August 18, 2017, 13:04:04
we have one..he's called john stones

I agree Lee. We definitely do not need to add a failed defender to prop up a failing John Stones and an already weak defence?

lee

Quote from: Zabba on August 18, 2017, 16:37:13
I agree Lee. We definitely do not need to add a failed defender to prop up a failing John Stones and an already weak defence?

give him a break pal

KunDB

Sorry the reference 'a failing John Stone' just poor phrasing by me.

He still has a lot to learn but he is young and I believe he can still be top class given time.

A fit VK should help speed up his development.

Hesperus

WBA are trying to pull our pants down over the fee. Did you see Pulis' press conference? He was loving it, every player has his price, but It it has to be an amazing offer, blah, blah, blah. I really dislike that guy. He never fails to mention how much we've spent every time we thrash one of his teams.  18 mil is already over the top for Evans. If we pay more than 20 mill for him I'd seriously question the people in charge at City.

What the hell has Manglala done to be dropped so severely? It must have been really bad because he's a young guy, with all the natural physical abilities to make it in the prem. We spent 40 million on him. Why don't we invest a bit more time in coaching and developing him with the world class coaches we now have at City and give him another chance rather than wasting another 20+ million on a guy who is hardly much of an upgrade?

nimrod

Quote from: shandon on August 18, 2017, 15:00:13
I don't think pep is too worried about his job security. We have some promising young players but not at CB really.

If our young CB,s aren't promising why is the club employing them ?

shandon

Apart from Denayer I don't think their were any in the pre-season tour squad. There might be more younger players who I haven't heard about/or aren't ready for the 1st team.

gavin

Adarabioyo was on the tours but didn't seem to feature much.

Swiss

He's far too green around the ears (Tosin).
He needs lots of matches to get his match intelligence up

gavin

He's not going to get that sat on our bench

Swiss

Nope. Surprised he's not gone to girona

lee

Quote from: Hesperus on August 19, 2017, 09:24:40
WBA are trying to pull our pants down over the fee. Did you see Pulis' press conference? He was loving it, every player has his price, but It it has to be an amazing offer, blah, blah, blah. I really dislike that guy.

we have made that fucker depressed a few times mate :)

nimrod