News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Match Thread - Home to The Toffee men

Started by KunDB, August 21, 2017, 19:12:00

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Sterling should have buried his other good opportunity in the second half. Silva should have buried his chance in the first when he hit the post. Sergio had two very presentable opportunities in the first. There were numerous chances that we didn't make the keeper save. Same as last season. Transfer window nearly shut, we need people in who finish.

Sterlings goal was a great finish though and I wouldn't have expected him to do that.

Hesperus

Yes, Sterlings goal was a much harder chance than the one he blasted over. He did make a difference when he came on but I doubt he's ever going to be clinical in front of goal.

I'm sceptical as to if we'll sign a striker or Sanchez to help in the scoring department. I'd be very surprised if Sanchez signs for us, especially with the international beak coming up which he has declared himself for for. Time is running out.

Rowley Birkin QC

I acknowledge that what defines a "chance" is a movable feast, but as it happens I did not base my opinion (above) on any official stats - more a purely gut feeling for what I was watching. We just looked more creative to my eyes. We played quickly and purposely, launching a barrage of attacks - and varied what we tried.

Have you all forgotten those too frequent games last season where we plodded around the pitch, wasting whole minutes of game time while we tip-tapped the ball, left and right - right and left, across our back lines before deciding to launch yet another predictable attack down one wing or the other - all to no reward?

To score goals you have to create chances - lots of them (statistically!)   I'm not too fussed if they're clear cut, or fleeting opportunities - first you have to create them and create them often! That's more than half the battle in my book. Sure you then need the quality to finish some of those multiple chances off and of course that can be an issue, but that's the first time I've seen City this season (missed the Brighton game) and what I saw was a marked improvement on a lot of what I watched last season.

Rowley Birkin QC

Only real negative from the game (aside from only a point) for me was David Silva's new 'hair cut'.

What is he thinking!? From some angles he now looks disturbingly like Stephen Ireland.

nimrod

1st half I actually thought we played too slowly