News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Sanchez/Sterling

Started by KunDB, August 29, 2017, 11:40:24

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

Link

Reports that Sterling to be used as part of deal to prise Sanchez away from Arsenal.

Hesperus

Last desperate days of the transfer window. I can't believe we'd even entertain the idea.

Lekos

Quote from: Hesperus on August 29, 2017, 12:00:26
Last desperate days of the transfer window. I can't believe we'd even entertain the idea.

Why on earth not?  Sanchez for Sterling plus some cash is a no brainer.  Do it.

KunDB

I do worry about Guardiola and City's leadership.

We have been led to believe we needed useless and paceless massively overpriced Evans because he is home grown. A very bad buy imo.

Then, we seek to dispose of one of our best and young first team home grown players in exchange for a much older foreign player?

I like Sanchez and he is class but boy oh boy we are so obviously desperate Arsenal can play us like a fiddle if they want and make us pay extortionately for a player we can have next season for nought? 

Lekos

Sterling isn't that good and Sanchez is world class (or there abouts).  Easy choice to make. 

gavin

Sterling has been one of the, if not the, most effective player for us so far this season. He's only 22 and English. Stupid idea.

nimrod

Fucks  sake...

I thought we were lowering the average age of the team

Sanchez, Evans, both nearly 30

Hesperus

Quote from: Lekos on August 29, 2017, 12:15:48
Sterling isn't that good and Sanchez is world class (or there abouts).  Easy choice to make.

It's all about opinions because I totally disagree. 😊

Sanchez 2 or 3 years ago was world class. He's not now and has probably 2 years left at the top. Sterling is not as good but has lots of potential to develop, especially under Pep.

Sterling + cash for Sanchez smacks of desperation to me. If it was going to be this difficult to sign Sanchez we should have moved on to anther target a long time ago

This deal would be very short sighted deal.

Anyhow, I really don't believe there is any truth in it. Just John 'Arsenal' Cross causing mischief in the media to sell copy.

Lekos

Quote from: Hesperus on August 29, 2017, 12:44:54
It's all about opinions because I totally disagree. 😊

Yup, that's fair enough. I don't think there's any question that right now Sanchez is a far higher calibre of player than Sterling. Therefoee signing him would improve us.

Even if he has only got 2 / 3 years left in him that's enough for a couple of titles and a champions league  :D

I don't understand how improving a squad could be desperation. Sanchez is clearly better than Sterling right now. That's all it's about.

Sterling hasn't shown any signs he's got much more improving to do. Unfortunately just an expensive SWP for me.

If it happens in all for it.  Front three of Aguero, Jesus and Sanchez? Yes please.

bry the guy

With no champs league i dont think they will leave this season.

goat

Quote from: Hesperus on August 29, 2017, 12:44:54
. Sterling is not as good but has lots of potential to develop, especially under Pep.

potential is great as long as the player reaches it.

id prefer a player we know can do it instead of one that might..if we are lucky

weve been burned with english potential greats before

micah never did  figure out that defending thing ( in the season preview in 4-4-2 he was picked as the player villa fans wanted out the club..in the championship!)
swp never got the hang of crossing, not great for a  winger
hart never improved his ability with his feet despite how many years of it being obvious

the one that still pisses me off is michael johnson. he could have been captain by now but ah well

KunDB

Quote from: nimrod on August 29, 2017, 13:13:02
They prefer Sergio

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-transfer-news-sergio-aguero-alexis-sanchez-raheem-sterling-manchester-city-a7917981.html

Quote "City contacted Arsenal this morning with their latest offer for the Chilean forward, who they have been chasing all summer. But Arsenal responded this morning by telling City to include Aguero as part of the price for Sanchez."

Hesperus

I agree Sanchez is a better player than Sterling, that's not in doubt and I'd love Sanchez at City, but just not at the expense of Sterling.

I know it's only 2 games in but Sterling has already got us out of 2 holes this season and personally i think he has improved during his time with us. He just hasn't kicked on maybe as much as we hoped. He has pace and scores a few goals too, which is something our midfield lacks.

Hesperus

Quote from: goat on August 29, 2017, 15:01:26

the one that still pisses me off is michael johnson. he could have been captain by now but ah well

Yep, he had it all, but injury, Kebabs and booze did for him.

Neil Mcnab

I hope this goes through, because Sterling will feel top of the world as the makeweight in a deal?
Sterling is a good player, not world class. Sanchez is what we need. Sterling is a London lad, so might be up for it.
Always felt if Sanchez comes in, one of the forward line would be binned off.
As for Aguero going, not a chance, he is too good for them, a step down. Also I think he would not want to sign a long contract, as he wants to end his career in Argentina.

Gareth

Quote from: Hesperus on August 29, 2017, 15:46:40
Yep, he had it all, but injury, Kebabs and booze did for him.

Could've been a great, but I think the kebabs and booze were self-medication for problems that few realised at the time, not the cause of his problems. He deserves some sympathy. I hope he finds a way to live peacefully with his demons.

Hesperus

Quote from: Gareth on August 30, 2017, 06:35:11
Could've been a great, but I think the kebabs and booze were self-medication for problems that few realised at the time, not the cause of his problems. He deserves some sympathy. I hope he finds a way to live peacefully with his demons.

You obviously have some insight there Gareth that we are not privy to. Yes good luck to him.

lee

city lawyers apparently in chile to snag sanchez...looks like arsenal are gonna lose the ox and mustafi as well..i bet west brom finish above arsenal this season  :D

KunDB

I could never envisage Arsenal risk losing him for next year for nought. The past shows they are money orientated.

Just glad we are favourites for getting him.

Hesperus

Think it will get done today? Time is running out but it looks like there's been some movement in the last couple of days.

guidebridgeblue

Arsenal can't get Lemar so keeping Sanchez just said on Talksport.

KunDB

Keeping a discontented player is not wise, losing him for nought is insane. My guess is it will still happen. 

Lekos

Quote from: guidebridgeblue on August 31, 2017, 16:54:23
Arsenal can't get Lemar so keeping Sanchez just said on Talksport.

But they seem to be about to sign Rabiot and maybe (less likely) Draxler.

Could still be on. It's on and off according to multiple sources all over the show.

guidebridgeblue

Manchester City's bid to sign Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez looks to be over.  It is understood a conditional agreement was reached in principle between City and Arsenal for Sanchez to move to the Etihad Stadium.  The fee was £55m, plus £5m in add-ons.  But it depended on Arsenal first securing a replacement to fill the gap left by the 28-year-old.  Their target was Monaco winger Thomas Lemar and an agreement was reportedly reached between the clubs for a fee in the region of £90m.  However, it is thought that the 21-year-old France international decided against the move.  City are currently not prepared to resurrect the deal by offering a player in exchange or more money for a straight cash deal.  Barring a remarkable last-minute turn of events Sanchez, who wanted to joint City to be reunited with his former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola, will stay at Arsenal.  He is into the final year of his contract and is likely to leave on a free transfer next summer.

Hesperus

Not looking promising.

Lekos

bluebrendan

If we really wanted Sanchez why didn't we just stick a bid in after he returned for pre-season, it was obvious enough then that he wouldn't sign a new contract. I can't help thinking we've tried to be too clever with this deal. Not that arsed though, we've still had a very good window.

Hesperus

It's a difficult one. Show your hand too early and Arse would have just rejected it for even more money on deadline day. Then again, we'll never know.

He would have improved us, but I'm not too bothered either. I reckon it was now or never though for Sanchez. I very much doubt we'll be back for him next summer even on a free. So hopefully he'll have a right monk on and go on strike and or disrupt the Arse dressing room.

Swiss

Arsenal have not wanted this transfer. It wouldn't surprise me if they intend to work on him to sign a new contract.

They think they can placate their fans with a fake 90m bid for lemar... Rumour is they pulled out because there wasn't enough time... Load of bollocks

Moz1959

Got a feeling we might go in for Mahrez.

nimrod

Quote from: Swiss on August 31, 2017, 20:48:20
Arsenal have not wanted this transfer. It wouldn't surprise me if they intend to work on him to sign a new contract.

They think they can placate their fans with a fake 90m bid for lemar... Rumour is they pulled out because there wasn't enough time... Load of bollocks

This

I saw an interview with Wenger where he stated the financial benefits of keeping him

a lot more chance of making CL and cups, plus the massive bad press and pissed off fans selling their best player

They also didnt like the idea of him going to an English competitor

KunDB

Sanchez is not going to propel Arsenal into next year's CL. He will loathe their treatment of him and he will know Wenger was behind it. On top of that most the Arsenal players despise him, they could not wait to get their stories into the press so leaked them before he left.

Also it is a World Cup next year and like most players he will not want to risk injury so he will save himself for the World Cup. Difference with other top players at top clubs, he will have no other reason to put it all in and just hope to avoid injury.

nimrod

Quote from: Zabba on September 01, 2017, 02:44:01
Sanchez is not going to propel Arsenal into next year's CL. He will loathe their treatment of him and he will know Wenger was behind it. On top of that most the Arsenal players despise him, they could not wait to get their stories into the press so leaked them before he left.

Also it is a World Cup next year and like most players he will not want to risk injury so he will save himself for the World Cup. Difference with other top players at top clubs, he will have no other reason to put it all in and just hope to avoid injury.

Theyve a lot more chances of CL with him in the team..

and can you imagine the shit publicity and perception of fans after the pasting at Liverpool to lose their best player, I think the last thing they wanted was to lose him, especially to a competitor.
Plus we dont know the relationship he has with Wenger, maybe he hopes he can persuade him to stay.

How do you know the players despise him, unless you know them personally of course.

Your other world cup speculation is bollocks imo, I dont believe a player who wants to put himself in a shop window next May will go on a go slow, he'll want to be the Gooners best player again. You dont attract potential big clubs by being a moody sod.

Arsenal have never said they want to sell him and he's put in no transfer requests, fair go's to them for sticking to their guns (no pun intented)  ;)

gavin

It has been a disappointing window. We've managed to spend in excess of £200 million without addressing what were the acknowledged core weaknesses of the team last season. We didn't finish  enough of our chances and conceded too many goals for the chances we allowed teams. We carry on this season as last really - relying on Vinny at the back and Sergio or Jesus to provide the finishing. We still have a squad that can win things if we have a fortunate season with injuries and form like Chelsea did last season but there are clear weaknesses that could cost us and probably will.

nimrod

Quote from: gavin on September 01, 2017, 08:23:58
It has been a disappointing window. We've managed to spend in excess of £200 million without addressing what were the acknowledged core weaknesses of the team last season. We didn't finish  enough of our chances and conceded too many goals for the chances we allowed teams. We carry on this season as last really - relying on Vinny at the back and Sergio or Jesus to provide the finishing. We still have a squad that can win things if we have a fortunate season with injuries and form like Chelsea did last season but there are clear weaknesses that could cost us and probably will.

Agree Gav but we now have 2 very good fullbacks and hopefully a better goalie

KunDB

Quote from: nimrod on September 01, 2017, 03:10:51
Theyve a lot more chances of CL with him in the team..

and can you imagine the shit publicity and perception of fans after the pasting at Liverpool to lose their best player, I think the last thing they wanted was to lose him, especially to a competitor.
Plus we dont know the relationship he has with Wenger, maybe he hopes he can persuade him to stay.

How do you know the players despise him, unless you know them personally of course.

Your other world cup speculation is bollocks imo, I dont believe a player who wants to put himself in a shop window next May will go on a go slow, he'll want to be the Gooners best player again. You dont attract potential big clubs by being a moody sod.

Arsenal have never said they want to sell him and he's put in no transfer requests, fair go's to them for sticking to their guns (no pun intented)  ;)

It is seldom ever a good idea to keep a want away player, imo.

It is not about Sanchez, or any other player, downing tools they just lose that cutting edge to their play and even when trying are only performing around 90% imo. With Sanchez and Arsenal that is a loss of goals that might make the difference between CL and Europa League again.

I will be more than surprised if Arsenal make top 4 this year.

nimrod

Quote from: Zabba on September 01, 2017, 11:51:29
It is seldom ever a good idea to keep a want away player, imo.

It is not about Sanchez, or any other player, downing tools they just lose that cutting edge to their play and even when trying are only performing around 90% imo. With Sanchez and Arsenal that is a loss of goals that might make the difference between CL and Europa League again.

I will be more than surprised if Arsenal make top 4 this year.
But if he's a want away player why didnt he put in a transfer request ?

Hesperus

To keep his loyalty bonus?? He wanted away alright, he made lots of comments about wanting champions league football etc. He just did not want to pay for it himself.

lee

apparently he signed a contract with us and arsenal are being taken to court

Lekos

Eh?  We're taking Arsenal to court?

nimrod

Quote from: Hesperus on September 01, 2017, 13:51:00
To keep his loyalty bonus?? He wanted away alright, he made lots of comments about wanting champions league football etc. He just did not want to pay for it himself.

If I were being offered a 4 year deal on say 250k a week by a club I wanted to play for and my club were being stubborn I wouldnt worry about a loyalty bonus, Id bang in a transfer request.
Im more suspicious he wants to be a free agent next May, he can then pick his club and get a huge signing on fee.

lee

Quote from: Lekos on September 01, 2017, 17:10:46
Eh?  We're taking Arsenal to court?

not much city can do really mate apart from moan

Swiss

There's rumours he signed a contract with city, but it should be heavily conditioned on arsenal accepting a deal.

Gareth

I was wondering, after all the stuff about Sterling being part of the deal for Sanchez, how Sterling would feel - I mean, since the deal didn't happen, would he feel unwanted. But Pep covered that in his press conference today, which I was very pleased to see (especially since I thought this swap would be a bad move for City). Pep said:

"Arsenal wanted to make a swap with Raheem. They talk to me and I said no chance. Zero chance."

Paddy