News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Aguero - Only World class striker in EPL say Henry

Started by nimrod, September 26, 2017, 01:11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

goat

you seem to post links from the daily heil a lot gandi

he is probably right tho

nimrod

Quote from: goat on September 26, 2017, 01:28:12
you seem to post links from the daily heil a lot gandi

he is probably right tho

Hadn't noticed but I shall refrain from such right wing behaviour, I read the footy pages of every newspaper whatever their politics and sometimes just post something without thinking.
Thank you goat for pointing out the error of my ways.

gavin

Nah, there's some top strikers. Kane and Sanchez are also top players. Costa was top class too.

As for Terry Henry, I've only contempt for him. A cheating bastard through and through.

Neil Mcnab

Swiss

Depends what the criteria for world class is. If we're going on goals scored in a season, does that make Kevin Phillips world class?

goat

nimrod

Quote from: Swiss on September 27, 2017, 03:43:40
Depends what the criteria for world class is. If we're going on goals scored in a season, does that make Kevin Phillips world class?

No its his contribution to City over the years he's been here, consistent goal average season after season

Swiss

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing Aguero being world class. Just understanding what the criteria is so that we may judge others by the same standard.

I used phillips as an example to show it cant just be on goals scored.
Phillips scored 90 goals in 3 seasons, but was never considered as world class despite this achievement in a mediocre team.

So it must be in overall play and that would differ from position to position as to what the criteria is.
For example. What I've seen of Ederson, he certainly has all the right attributes to be considered 'world class'; he just needs to show he's consistent season after season. Therefore time has to be a factor. Phillips only managed 3 seasons of wonder, so the equation has to be in excess of 3 consistent years. For me, i'd increase that to 5 years at the top of 'the' game.

Then there's the league you play in. Has to play in either England, Germany, France, Spain or Italy and for a big name club.

Probably the most controversial assessment of a world class player Is popularity and respect. Someone mentioned Costa earlier. For me, one of the reasons he can't be considered world class is because he's a nasty shit. Don't get me wrong, Messi and Tranny can be cheaters and lose their tempers. But Costa lacks respect for his fellow professionals and club.
The acid test for this would be two-fold:
1 'if you could be a "Forward" would you choose to be "Costa" or "Messi"?
2 Does this person have the respect of fellow professionals?

And finally (unless anyone wants to add in another category). Style of play. Fundamentals of a striker. Is he a Messi or a Drogba?
Strength on the ball.
Finisher
Can bring others into the game
Endurance
Leader on the pitch

So to summarise;

Goals (consistent top 3 scorers in league)
Assists (Consistent high assister for position)
Style of play
Consistency (5+ years at the top)
League (plays in)
Top team (plays for)
Popularity & Respect

nimrod

fuckin hell swiss you'll be wanting an apple next

Neil Mcnab

Anyone remember when Nicky Summerbee went to Sunderland, we could have had Phillips in return or a donkey. We chose the donkey.

Back to the subject, if Lukaku played for us, would we think he was world class?

Costa is world class for me, a great player, one of the best. Perhaps the word class is not the one to choose for him, he isnt a class act in the way he conducts himself. He ticks the boxes as a player, except popularity. He will be respected by most, certainly wont be popular. He does the business on the pitch, like a Roy Keane. I guess he will be feared, not popular, except at the club he is at.  Its a long winded way of talking about the mental side of the game, that desire to do the best, to win, to give everything. Again, if he played for us, would you change what you think? 

lee

Swiss

Using the formula above, i'd say no, but he has the potential to be. He just hasn't been at the top for long enough and he's only reached 25+ goals in the premier league once (last season).
Even utd haven't been a top club for a few years and their form over last season in the prem was average.

Hesperus

I'd add technical ability into the list too. First touch, vision, ball skills etc.

I think Aguero has it all, but crucially from Swiss's list he's probably not popular because he doesnt play for a popular team, well, certainly we're not a media popular team unfortunately.

gavin

Sergio is not world class as he does not play enough games and does not take enough of his chances. He has scored a lot of goals, some of them fantastic goals but we create a lot of chances and he muffs too many. Shearer said on MoTD that he should get 30 league goals this season with the chances we create and I agree. He should have got that many last season but he got himself suspended twice and missed too many chances.

Swiss

Over the last 26 seasons, the average top scorer got 25 goals

The lowest top scorer was 18 (Joint: M. Owen, C. Sutton, D. Dublin 97/98 & Joint: M. Owen, JF Hasslebaink, D.Yorke 98/99)

The highest was 34 (Andy Cole 93/94 & Alan Shearer 94/95)

30 goals have only been breached in 8 of the 26 seasons. Roughly 30% of the time.

Andy Cole: i
Alan Shearer: iii
Kevin Phillips: i
Theiry Henry: i
Cristiano Ronaldo: i
Robin Van Persie: i
Luis Suarez: i

shandon

Your stats didn't mention the EPL had more games when Shearer and Cole scored 34  :D

Swiss

oooh, forgot about that!

So that does effect the top score of 34 in those two seasons. So if we average it down to the 38 games from 42...

(34/42) * 38 = 30.76 or, 31 rounded up.

Which then brings Shearer and Cole's top season tally to equal 2 other players.

C. Ronaldo & Luis Suarez.

Will anyone ever break the 31 goals in a season limit?

shandon

Quote from: Swiss on September 29, 2017, 21:53:43
oooh, forgot about that!

So that does effect the top score of 34 in those two seasons. So if we average it down to the 38 games from 42...

(34/42) * 38 = 30.76 or, 31 rounded up.

Which then brings Shearer and Cole's top season tally to equal 2 other players.

C. Ronaldo & Luis Suarez.

Will anyone ever break the 31 goals in a season limit?

Harry Kane?  8)

Swiss

shandon

Looking like it will happen this season - unless he gets injured.

Swiss

Quote from: shandon on October 02, 2017, 13:44:13
Harry Kane?  8)

His record is for the calendar year. Which is a bit redic as it straddles two seasons.

But yer, he could do it. Mo Salah going all guns too.