News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Foden looking good

Started by gavin, October 25, 2017, 21:08:08

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Hopefully he will be given a run out in the next round of the Crappyball Cup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41749649

Gareth

He's got a World Cup Final first! Along with Curtis Anderson and Joel Latibeaudiere.

Gareth

Final is live on BBC2 this afternoon.

gavin

Gareth

Phil Foden puts England 3:2 ahead (from 0:2 down) with a right-foot finish!

Gareth

4:2, assist from Latibeaudiere.

Gareth

Phil Foden wraps it up, left foot finish this time, 5:2

gavin

Well done to the lads. There seems to be a number that are really promising. It will be interesting to see how many make it.

zacc

Foden seems a real talent hope he gets his chance in senior squad .

KunDB

If Fodden cannot make the first team squad soon, we may as well close the Academy, as it would be pointless. A Cup run out at the very least.

lee

Quote from: Zabba on October 28, 2017, 21:44:23
If Fodden cannot make the first team squad soon, we may as well close the Academy, as it would be pointless. A Cup run out at the very least.

yeh close it down....kids like foden would not be on top of the world tonight eh!!

Hesperus

The academy is a business Zabba, we just need to accept that. It's being run for profit, if an amazing talent comes out of it for us, then great, but it's certainly not just there to produce players for the first team.

KunDB

Quote from: Hesperus on October 29, 2017, 06:53:08
The academy is a business Zabba, we just need to accept that. It's being run for profit, if an amazing talent comes out of it for us, then great, but it's certainly not just there to produce players for the first team.

I think that is right. However, if I managed or influenced a young talented player I would advise them to give the City Academy a miss. Yes it is very good money but the player has a much reduced chance of breaking into the first squad to gain all important experience. Mind, I imagine that in the real world money always wins out when it comes to making the final decision.

KunDB

Quote from: lee on October 28, 2017, 23:10:12
yeh close it down....kids like foden would not be on top of the world tonight eh!!

Let me explain this to you as you seem to read everything literally.

If the purpose of an Academy is to develop players for your first team and no talented Academy players make a breakthrough then what is the point, might as well close it down (hypothetically) and other than for the money why would talented youngsters join knowing they are highly unlikely to play for City's first team/squad and will have to be shipped out by the club to get first team experienced. That is a problem, talented players reluctant to join, I feel the Academy might just eventually experience.

Now if it is a business, with the purpose of developing players and making profit by selling young talent on then it probably will succeed, in that regard.

Kids like Foden would have developed regardless of the City Academy, just elsewhere, he is an immense talent and if we do not use we will surely lose as has been the case for Jadon Sancho, another immense talent.

Swiss

Quote from: Zabba on October 29, 2017, 09:11:10
I think that is right. However, if I managed or influenced a young talented player I would advise them to give the City Academy a miss. Yes it is very good money but the player has a much reduced chance of breaking into the first squad to gain all important experience. Mind, I imagine that in the real world money always wins out when it comes to making the final decision.

Why?

Even if you don't make it at city, you've got a great pedigree of being at a top academy and being in and around some top talent!

Lekos

gavin

A lot of kids from the academy do make it but mainly elsewhere in the end which is disappointing. However, on the other hand, not many of them are at top clubs so maybe we haven't missed much after all. Trippier is at Spuds I suppose but there's no KDBs like Chelsea let go. Nevertheless, I was still disappointed that Mangala was on the bench yesterday in preference to Adarabioyo. To me the lad was head and shoulders above Mangala in the cup match and should have been promoted to the bench as reward. I also thought Foden and Diaz should have played in the first match we played in the Carabao. More could certainly be done to give the impression that youth will get a chance to show their worth.

KunDB

A good article on ESPN about Foden and his prospect of breaking through at City. Extract below.

"Micah Richards was the last youth player to nail down a regular place. Having been introduced by Stuart Pearce in 2005, he was a mainstay until his move to Aston Villa a decade later. Since then, 39 others have been given debuts, 29 of which have moved on or retired from the game, and 10 are still with the club -- five currently out on loan."

Full ESPN article worth a read, sums the situation up well.

Article Link 

nimrod

Quote from: gavin on October 29, 2017, 20:31:12
A lot of kids from the academy do make it but mainly elsewhere in the end which is disappointing. However, on the other hand, not many of them are at top clubs so maybe we haven't missed much after all. Trippier is at Spuds I suppose but there's no KDBs like Chelsea let go. Nevertheless, I was still disappointed that Mangala was on the bench yesterday in preference to Adarabioyo. To me the lad was head and shoulders above Mangala in the cup match and should have been promoted to the bench as reward. I also thought Foden and Diaz should have played in the first match we played in the Carabao. More could certainly be done to give the impression that youth will get a chance to show their worth.

Still think we shoulda kept Mooy