News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Whinger still whinging (yawn)

Started by KunDB, November 14, 2017, 00:01:23

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

Over a week on Arsenal manager Arsene 'Whinger' Wenger is at it still moaning about us and the referee robbing them in what was 'a close game' (his claim not mine).

DAILY FAIL ARTICLE LINK 

Wenger suggested the clash at the Etihad Stadium was far closer than the end result, citing 'expected goals' statistics.

He added: 'If you look at the expected goals, it was 0.7 for them and 0.6 for us, it was a very tight game, they created very little, had very little number of shots on target, one more than us, that's all.'

Numbers provided by Opta revealed, however, that Arsenal's expected goals stood at 0.31, while City's was 1.83.

gavin

His behaviour is awful. You'd think he'd pull his neck in after time for reflection. It was a clear penalty and a close offside.

Rowley Birkin QC

WTF are "expected goals" when they're at home?

zacc

with respect to ones dealing with this condition senility is  making him worse!

Lekos

Quote from: zacc on November 14, 2017, 10:19:42
with respect to ones dealing with this condition senility is  making him worse!

That's no way to talk about citoeast!   :D

KunDB

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on November 14, 2017, 10:09:36
WTF are "expected goals" when they're at home?

A mathematically formula that looks at every chance in a game for players and then works out how many would reasonably have been expected to be converted (scored).

Science plays a big part in games now. We lay fans just call it decent chances created.

Gareth

MotD even puts up xG now. It will be really important once they stop having actual matches and just run the PL as a simulation game, so get used to it now.

gavin

I thought it was a much tighter game than usual but that the result was completely fair. City were the better team with the better chances and Opta independent stats also bear that out. Only he knows where he got his stats from but undoubtedly he selected them for his own benefit. Even so they still favoured City! He's turning into a very sad old man.

Lekos

Rowley Birkin QC

I used to have expected goals - but they always politely turned me down.

bluebrendan

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on November 15, 2017, 05:34:18
I used to have expected goals - but they always politely turned me down.
:D

Rowley Birkin QC

gavin

Arsenal have scored a marginally offside goal from a free kick that should not have been given. I wonder what he'll have to say about that....

shandon

Usually he says he didn't see the incident.

Rowley Birkin QC

Not much wrong with their second goal though. Always happy to see spuds losing.

lee

agree ken..i hate them as much as utd

gavin

I hate Tottenham but thats a bit much Lee.

Rowley Birkin QC

I'm with Lee on this. Certainly been times when i've hated spuds as much as the rags.

KunDB

How a few weeks and a few dodgy decisions can see Whinger reformed and a Referee lover and supporter. First goal was not a foul and was clearly offside.

Arsene Wenger backs decision to allow both Arsenal goals despite Tottenham protestations
(Referee Mike Dean has come under scrutiny after it appeared that Spurs had cause for complaint for both goals.)

This time, well, Arsene Wenger did see the incidents. In he fact he watched them a few times, and concluded that there was indeed a foul for the set-piece that led to Shkodran Mustafi's opening goal in the 2-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur, and that Alexis Sanchez was not offside for Arsenal’s second.

Referee Mike Dean had come under scrutiny after it appeared that Spurs had cause for complaint for both goals - with Mauricio Pochettino mentioning it in his own post-game press conference - but Wenger rejected that, saying “it is not certain it is offside, and it was a foul”. He also argued that were was much less commotion when Manchester City benefited from what he felt was a much more obvious offside in the 3-1 defeat at the Etihad two weeks ago. Sanchez hit the second goal shortly before half-time.

“I don’t think so,” Wenger said when asked whether his team profited from an incorrect onside call for the second goal. “Two weeks ago we conceded a goal that was not marginally offside. It was a yard offside but no one found a word to say. Now when you are marginal… I watched it again and it is not certain it is offside. And it was a foul [for the first]. So suddenly when we concede goals it is absolutely normal even when they are a yard offside and when we maybe [offside] you have to answer that in a press conference.”

Telegrapgh Article in Full