News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Sane injured

Started by Hesperus, January 28, 2018, 19:06:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

Pep reckons he’ll be out for 2-3 weeks after that dirty tackle by Bennett.

Mason was a joke today. He should not ref a top flight game again. Everything we don’t want in the game he allowed and everything we do want to see he disallowed. Pathetic performance by the officials.

bluebrendan

There'll never be a better argument for VAR than that shambles from Mason & co. today.

Gareth

Tackle was a disgrace. A sending off then couldn't save Sané, but it would've stopped the same player trying the same thing again later on.

goat

and this is why you dont risk players in meaningless games

Hesperus

It also means we're lighter up front again with Jesus still out. I still can't quite understand our position on the Sanchez deal. We obviously felt we needed to strengthen there but now we're signing another CB and won't strengthen up front?

goat

i know pep invented football and all that but when you are on the bones of your arse with strikers and up against a championship team why the fuck bring aguero on

might be mad idea but apprently chelsea are after dzeko, he always did a job for us so why not bring him in for year or two

bluebrendan

Quote from: Hesperus on January 29, 2018, 11:09:23
It also means we're lighter up front again with Jesus still out. I still can't quite understand our position on the Sanchez deal. We obviously felt we needed to strengthen there but now we're signing another CB and won't strengthen up front?

I think our position on the Sanchez deal was quite clear, we weren't going to pay him 400k a week and rightly so. On the terms we'd supposedly agreed with him and his agent last August the deal would have been acceptable but they shifted the goalposts in January and we weren't happy with that.

Hesperus

Quote from: bluebrendan on January 29, 2018, 13:00:34
I think our position on the Sanchez deal was quite clear, we weren't going to pay him 400k a week and rightly so. On the terms we'd supposedly agreed with him and his agent last August the deal would have been acceptable but they shifted the goalposts in January and we weren't happy with that.

Admirable in theory, but if we want to compete at the top level, we'll have to pay those wages sooner rather than later or we'll get left behind. That's just reality unfortunately and I'm not sure Sanchezs team shifted the goal posts, Utds team did that.

In any case, we must still think we need a forward but we're spending a fortune on a 23 year old CB whose never played at international level. That's my main concern.

Gareth

Maybe we should've tried to get Sturridge on loan (ha ha!)

lee

Hesperus

Ankle ligaments damaged according to the official site. Not good news, that sounds longer than 2-3 weeks to me.

Neil Mcnab

What about walks on water, he is back soon. Then we will be back to Sergio sat on the bench alternate games, wondering what the weather is like in Spain.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Hesperus on January 29, 2018, 14:35:59
Admirable in theory, but if we want to compete at the top level, we'll have to pay those wages sooner rather than later or we'll get left behind.

But isn't this mainly about how such high wages would have unsettled the current wage structure of the team?

I agree that over time we are going to have to steadily pay higher wages to get the best players in, but Sanchez was simply too much of a jump in one go. There has to be at least some planning and structure to the process otherwise there's a very real risk of causing disquiet in the dressing room amongst the established stars. The City squad seems a fairly happy ship at the moment. I'm sure someone at City wants to keep it that way, and taking on Sanchez on such mega-wages was deemed too much of a risk.

Hesperus

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on January 30, 2018, 12:26:36
But isn't this mainly about how such high wages would have unsettled the current wage structure of the team?

I agree that over time we are going to have to steadily pay higher wages to get the best players in, but Sanchez was simply too much of a jump in one go. There has to be at least some planning and structure to the process otherwise there's a very real risk of causing disquiet in the dressing room amongst the established stars. The City squad seems a fairly happy ship at the moment. I'm sure someone at City wants to keep it that way, and taking on Sanchez on such mega-wages was deemed too much of a risk.

Possibly, but if the rumours are correct we've already got some very high wage earners at the club. My point is though, that the wage bar has now been raised (by Utd) and it will already have an effect on the players at City. They will want even more of a raise during contract renewal.  Star players want wage parity with other star players and not just parity with other players at the club they are currently at.

Playing devils advocate.  What message does our stance send out to the players currently at our club and the ones we want to bring in? You can get higher wages elsewhere?

bry the guy

There is another way around it and thats to pay a massive bonus for each trophy they win.This will also be a big insentive for them to really go for it,also i believe as i understand it, a bonus dosnt count as FFP but i could be wrong.

Swiss

Or keep on winning. More trophies = great pulling power for attracting players.

I think it'll hurt utd more. If they're aiming to employ players in the top tier of quality. They'll have to give comparative wages. If they want 11 top players... That's 5.5m a week or 286m for top 11 per year.

Comparitve: City's wage bill last season was noted at 198m for all players

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Pretty sure city's current wage structure is primarily with bonus incentives

gavin

Gutted about Sane. Warnock's comments on the tackle are disgraceful really. No way should we expect such challenges in football. It should be a 5 match ban minimum for that.

As for wages, well sure we have to move with the times. But no way is Sanchez worth nearly twice De Bruyne in weekly wages. You have to draw a line at times.

nimrod

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on January 30, 2018, 12:26:36

Bang on the money