News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Sterling - So what's the point?

Started by Rowley Birkin QC, April 05, 2018, 14:14:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowley Birkin QC

First off, I must state I like Sterling - so this isn't meant to be a hatchet job - but if Pep doesn't fancy him for these crunch, high pressure games, or Pep thinks he hasn't the mental fortitude to deal with some booing, then I think the question has to be asked - Why are we bothering with him at all? Maybe it's time to go and find a fast, right sided attacking player that Pep does fancy, and move Sterling on?

I'm still struggling as to why Pep chose not to start Sterling. I was disappointed when I saw the team sheet. We were clearly going to lack width and pace.

silvablue

Pep weighs up the opposition and picks players to suit his tactical analysis. Last night he just got it badly wrong and quite frankly even if Sterling had played, it would not have mattered. We made the same mental collapse, as a team, as we did against them in the PL.

Pep's precision play just does not allow passion and all out attack and in part that's why we could not even mount a serious attack or muster a serious shot on goal during a second half that we dominated possession. It was more likely Liverpool would score against the run of play, than we would.

Sterling nonetheless must be disillusioned.

gavin

He made a mistake there. However, I tend to concur that it would likely have made little difference given how shite we were collectively.

I think he generally gives Raheem a lot of trust though. He did have good reason from history to believe that he might not perform at anfield.

bluebrendan

With Aguero out he was the top scorer available to us and in good form, absolute madness to leave him out and doubly mad to put a central midfielder out there who seemingly had no idea of what positions to take up defensively. Throw in that Walker was having a mare and our shape was totally unbalanced compared to the Everton game. I wouldn't mind but most of the players have been shite on our last 3 visits to Anfield so I'm not sure why Sterling gets singled out.

nimrod

Well I read somewhere that he thought Gundog would retain possession better than Sterling, but there's Bernardo as well, so why you would put a midfield player out wide I have no idea. Completely puzzling.

But to refer to the question, maybe Pep wants RS to move on so he can replace him, who knows.

bry the guy

I think our biggest problem was our own corners and the long high ball we insisted to play with.We should of played short corners and kept possession and and kept them pinned back.Edersons long hoof just kept coming back at us,time after time which was very predictable too,so easy to fix during the game but wasnt even looked at,very poor.

Neil Mcnab

gavin

I really hope he starts him today and Tuesday for that matter.

goat

what about that roberts lad or has he been in scotland too long to be any use now?

Neil Mcnab

Paddy showed no ambition for his second loan spell by going back to Celtic. If the mindset isnt ambitious, the rest follows.

goat

two south american lads out on loan in spain, think one is a winger

getting a bit shit all this snapping up players and then fucking them off, obviously the south americans are a work permit thing but i doubt we will see them

Paddy

Pep admitted that he got it wrong, fair play

KunDB

Sterling do a brilliant job today, to prove Pep right and us wrong.

Paddy

Roberts is getting regular first team play, why would he come back here to maybe sit on the bench.....

Paddy

He got it wrong again in the space of four days ...

nimrod

Quote from: KunDB on April 07, 2018, 18:07:49
Sterling do a brilliant job today, to prove Pep right and us wrong.

Fair player but still a big weakness in front of goal

(I suppose after todays game thats fucking obvious nimmers you -unt)

Hesperus

He is very frustrating to watch at times. Sterling has had a great season in terms of goals but he has a real problem scoring when he's given time to think about it. The two chances he missed first half were shockers and ultimately cost us. If a quick reaction chance comes his way he generally puts it away. One on ones or when he's clean through he always seems to miss. This is surely a psychological thing, but it's something he needs to put right.    If Sterling and Pep can work on correcting this, then we'll have a player. If not, then long term he's probably going to be moved on.

Lekos

His goals generally have been tap ins. Positionally he's improved massively, but that's pretty much where the huge improvements stop.

Stephen Paul

Sterling has improved massively this season under Pep, gets into great positions but a lot of easy chances are missed by him

Just bad Luck , nerves , dont know     

nimrod

Quote from: Hesperus on April 08, 2018, 08:27:30
He is very frustrating to watch at times. Sterling has had a great season in terms of goals but he has a real problem scoring when he's given time to think about it. The two chances he missed first half were shockers and ultimately cost us. If a quick reaction chance comes his way he generally puts it away. One on ones or when he's clean through he always seems to miss. This is surely a psychological thing, but it's something he needs to put right.    If Sterling and Pep can work on correcting this, then we'll have a player. If not, then long term he's probably going to be moved on.

Good post H