News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

City Liverpool Thread

Started by KunDB, April 10, 2018, 18:40:27

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

City XI | Ederson, Walker, Otamendi, Laporte, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Silva (C), Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, G Jesus

Subs | Bravo, Aguero, Kompany, Foden, Gundogan, Zinchenko, Delph

Good to see Laporte start, with three at the back.

We are fans and we have to dream and believe, c'mon City.

Neil Mcnab

Kun would be a starter, unless he is injured?

KunDB

Kim still carrying an injury. It was touch and ho whether he would make the bench, apparently.

goat

Hesperus

Rowley Birkin QC

Having a good crack at this. Come on City!

The Blue Blooded Maniac

At a gig so glued to SSN! It sounds promising at least!!

Hesperus

Really bad decision for the Sane goal from the officials. Peps been sent to the stands for the 2nd half for protesting.

Come on City. Another half like that and anything could happen.

Rowley Birkin QC

Have a feeling if we get the second, the third will come right on its heels.

Rowley Birkin QC

Well that's made it a bit harder...

The Blue Blooded Maniac

bluepill

well ref was never going to let it happen was he

Hesperus

Oh well. We were never going to keep a clean sheet I guess.

goat

Lekos

All over. Even the players know it.

KunDB

Tonight and Saturday screwed up by sheer incompetency on the part of officials whose wrong decisions dictated the results.

bluepill

one day we'll get forward without sane being off side

goat

big questions need to be asked in summer, the arabs must be getting well fucked off with this in europe

bluepill

taking silva off? da fuck

Lekos

Quote from: KunDB on April 10, 2018, 21:05:13
Tonight and Saturday screwed up by sheer incompetency on the part of officials whose wrong decisions dictated the results.

Also us missing loads of chances.

goat

2 shots on target in first half wasnt it?

Lekos

Whack the Roma game on. Decent.

bluepill

probably a better idea than watching this bollocks

goat

nevermind whisky or koskenkorva, ken will be on the toilet duck by now

Hesperus

Good first half but we look poor upfront and and the back.

8 goals conceded in three games and Spurs to play next. Could well be 4 defeats on the trott.

KunDB

Shit defence is a key factor in this failure, and a lack of sharpness up front as Lekos said.

Hesperus

We need to buy a quality striker. Sorry, but I’m just not convinced by Jesus.

goat

jesus gets goals but breaks when he gets in his stride

Lekos

The Roma Barca game is excellent

goat

that dzeko bloke looks alright

Rowley Birkin QC

Ah well - at least Dzeko is still in it.

Swiss

I keep telling myself, not as bad as 96/97/98...

goat

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on April 10, 2018, 21:36:54
Ah well - at least Dzeko is still in it.

and jesus navas for fucks sake

Hesperus

Big knock to the confidence this.  Can’t fault the team selection tonight and we gave it a go. Never felt that we wouldn’t concede though.

Disappointing.

nimrod

Fucked over yet again by the refs.

nimrod

But also you need to be able to defend to win the champions league and the simple fact is we can't

KunDB

The bottom line I am afraid to say is Liverpool have improved past us. Over 3 games we have failed 3 times against them. They are stronger in defence and sharper in attack. Yes we are much better in midfield, but why would we not be when we have packed the midfield with talent and quantity. At the end of the day goals win games, not possession.

Rowley Birkin QC

Think we need Roma's entire defence.

nimrod

Taking Silva off was crazy, we lost our midfield dominance

Pep has to share some blame for these 3 losses.
But the squad needs changing for next season, some players are not good enough for this level, we could get good money for Jesus, Sterling and Otamendi, we should sell them and buy better.

Rowley Birkin QC

Silva substitution surprised me as well. He seemed to be going well. If anything I thought it was KdB who was starting to look tired.

silvablue

Quote from: nimrod on April 10, 2018, 22:10:14

But the squad needs changing for next season, some players are not good enough for this level, we could get good money for Jesus, Sterling and Otamendi, we should sell them and buy better.

I think it is easy to over react after such a disappointment, but there has to be clinical analysis. Good as our season has been the frailties have been identified and I think top of the list is defence then lack of sharpness from key players up front, possible including Sterling and Sane and Silva. One we could carry, but three or more lacking sharpness is just too heavy a burden.

We need real quality in defence, world class quality.

nimrod

Quote from: silvablue on April 10, 2018, 22:15:24
I think it is easy to over react after such a disappointment, but there has to be clinical analysis. Good as our season has been the frailties have been identified and I think top of the list is defence then lack of sharpness from key players up front, possible including Sterling and Sane and Silva. One we could carry, but three or more lacking sharpness is just too heavy a burden.

We need real quality in defence, world class quality.

Agreed but we already have the worlds most expensive defence, will the Arabs sanction even more on defenders ?

Lekos

Quote from: nimrod on April 10, 2018, 22:10:14

Sell Jesus? 21 years old, first season out of Brazil and 16 goals. I think you've over koskenkorva salmiakki'd your coffee mate.

We need Mendy back as well. Laporte is no left back.

KunDB

I am delighted Pep has finally decided to strike back publically at referees who are incompetent, and appear imo to have a bias against City.

After the match tonight he clearly criticised the actions, more accurately inaction, of Martin Atkinson and the repeat failings of Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz who once again acted incorrectly denying City in an important CL tie. He noted, quite rightly, that referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz was hell bent on being the centre of attention. Peps sending off was just plain bias, imo.

nimrod

Quote from: Lekos on April 10, 2018, 22:40:49
Sell Jesus? 21 years old, first season out of Brazil and 16 goals. I think you've over koskenkorva salmiakki'd your coffee mate.

We need Mendy back as well. Laporte is no left back.

I just dont rate him so highly, yeah he's scored a few tap ins (like Sterling) but against bigger teams he just seems to run around a lot (like Sterling)
Maybe loan him our or something but he's not in Aguero's class imo, we need to buy better.

Hope Roma win it now, Dzeko and Kola :)

gavin

It was a decent effort in the first half. To pull back such a lead we needed one or two things to go for us and they didn't, again. These players have done a very good job over the season.

lee

lets not be to down lads...city init

lee

bet paddys flag was air rifled to fook in the first half!!

nimrod

Quote from: lee on April 10, 2018, 23:08:31
lets not be to down lads...city init

Yeah its City  :D

Just wanna beat Spuds now

Lekos

Quote from: nimrod on April 10, 2018, 22:57:52
I just dont rate him so highly, yeah he's scored a few tap ins (like Sterling) but against bigger teams he just seems to run around a lot (like Sterling)
Maybe loan him our or something but he's not in Aguero's class imo, we need to buy better.

Hope Roma win it now, Dzeko and Kola :)

He's definitely not in Aguero's class (at the moment) but they are also differebt style players.  Crisp finish from him for the goal today (unlike Sterling).

He's not the finished article but i think he's pretty decent.

Lekos

Quote from: lee on April 10, 2018, 23:09:57

Haha

nimrod

Quote from: Lekos on April 10, 2018, 23:15:48
He's definitely not in Aguero's class (at the moment) but they are also differebt style players.  Crisp finish from him for the goal today (unlike Sterling).

He's not the finished article but i think he's pretty decent.

If he hammers in a hatrick at Spuds I'll call myself a cnut

goat

Quote from: nimrod on April 10, 2018, 23:18:13
If he hammers in a hatrick at Spuds I'll call myself a cnut

Nah I wouldn't mate

We will for you  ;D

nimrod

Quote from: lee on April 10, 2018, 23:09:57

Where is he tonight

I miss his threads  :D

nimrod

Dont normally agree with Sourness but he has a point.

lee

i reckon football would be better without scottish football pundits

nimrod

Quote from: lee on April 10, 2018, 23:54:05
i reckon football would be better without scottish football pundits

And without EUFA

silvablue

The big failure over these three games against Liverpool is Peps tactics. It reminds me of King Kev. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic, rely on a strong defence and accept you cannot alway control games.

Hesperus

I don’t think Pep will compromise his philosophy to be pragmatic when needed. As such, we are likely to always see these types of results from time to time.

I don’t ageee with it, but as others have said it works 90-95% of the time, where we play amazing attacking football.

Lekos

Pretty much what Hesp said.  We should't change the way we play just because of one team. 

gavin

I think our main issue was that he did compromise at Anfield and then he had to change the other way because we were 3 down.

KunDB

Quote from: gavin on April 11, 2018, 20:57:07
I think our main issue was that he did compromise at Anfield and then he had to change the other way because we were 3 down.

I think the problem was the compromise was the wrong compromise; the wrong players (Laporte, Gundogan) added in positions that they are not familiar with and do not excel for a key away game. Peps tactics at the Eitihad were askew and smacked of desperation and bad judgement; we needed a solid defence to keep a clean sheet more that we needed a blitz attack.

We need a solid defence and a consistent defence, Otamendi has been awesome this season in the main but when the chips are down he is down on the ground with a failed last moment desperation tackle that does not win the ball. Vinny is a legend, but past his sell by date. we need a solid twosome at the back and less rotation of full backs.

gavin

I still think that the major turning point was not the selection but not scoring a second before half time. We'd conceded 6 in the previous two games so it is not as if we'd been solid anyway.

Hesperus

A 2nd before half time would have made a difference but realistically the damage was done in the first leg. History, statistics and probability would suggest a 3 goal deficit with no away goal would make it a almost impossible task.