News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

What was Pep thinking !!!

Started by Paddy, December 08, 2018, 20:24:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

Why did we start the match without a recognised striker. We were akin to a headless chicken. Marez, "CRAP"; What a waste of money. Maybe this result is the wakeup call, we have started to believe the media hype about how great we are. When teams come at us we are a bit flaky, we need to deal with that. I knew it would be tough without KDB and Sergio. I predicted 1 - 0 City but didn't believe it myself...

shandon

I honestly thought this would finish 1-1 when it was 1-0 with 35 minutes to go.

But IMO even with the last season and a half we are still not the best team in the EPL era (that would be Arsenal's unbeaten season and maybe some other unmentionable team's best season  ::))

It's a lot of media hype about records and best team ever - and it's too early for this season!

gavin

Nah this is the best side in Prem history without a doubt. No other team has been quite so supreme in their domination. That Arsenal team drew loads of matches. I'd much sooner lose a couple and win many more. No rag side has even got close to the number of points, wins and goals that we got.

Pep has made a few fuck ups lately though. He has helped turn Sterling into a brilliant right winger so he should play him there. He ain't a midfielder, he ain't a striker and he ain't a left winger.

The league is still in our hands. We are still the best team in the league. The best team in the history of English football. The legend is still in the making but there will be setbacks.

shandon

I meant this season specifically so far is not the best team in EPL history.
The 2017-18 edition 100 points team is indeed harder to argue against.

goat

Quote from: Paddy on December 08, 2018, 20:24:25
Why did we start the match without a recognised striker. We were akin to a headless chicken. Marez, "CRAP"; What a waste of money. Maybe this result is the wakeup call, we have started to believe the media hype about how great we are. When teams come at us we are a bit flaky, we need to deal with that. I knew it would be tough without KDB and Sergio. I predicted 1 - 0 City but didn't believe it myself...

pep out?

KunDB

Quote from: Paddy on December 08, 2018, 20:24:25

Good grief, we have lost one match eventually and it is a drama. Get a grip on reality, it is football and no one wins every game. It was not long ago we were on record winning losing runs, this is a dream team and not a time to scream. Toughen up and trust not question the ebst manager in the world. Mahrez is not crap, but granted he is not a striker.

Some of our more recent fans are in danger of starting to sound la bit 'flaky', just like Liverpool and Rag fans with a belief they have a divine right to win everything.

goat

definition of stopped clock there

Neil Mcnab

Since we played against Lyon - the last four games, we have not been at the top of our game. This game, David Silva was surely injured, before he went off injured? He did next to nothing. Bernardo was quiet. No one shone for us. Luiz, usually a weal link had a good game, as did Azpilicueta and more on the Chelsea side. They overperformed, we did the opposite.

Need Kun and KDB back.

lee

Quote from: KunDB on December 09, 2018, 12:19:29

Good grief, we have lost one match eventually and it is a drama. Get a grip on reality, it is football and no one wins every game. It was not long ago we were on record winning losing runs, this is a dream team and not a time to scream. Toughen up and trust not question the ebst manager in the world. Mahrez is not crap, but granted he is not a striker.

Some of our more recent fans are in danger of starting to sound la bit 'flaky', just like Liverpool and Rag fans with a belief they have a divine right to win everything.

wow..i thought you had started this thread then seen it was paddy :)

shandon

Unless you entered this game expecting 110 points this season - it's ok not to be unbeaten - to quote Pep's press confernece.
But if something isn't working it can still be critiqued.

I still think we are in a very good position actually to win back to back league titles - even up against the fuckwits down the road also from the northwest who dress in red - and are currently worse than the rags (in my opinion).
Liverpool would be 2nd still if Pickford hadn't given them 2 points against Everton which maybe wasn't even his fault - but was a once in every 160 years type mistake as even a Liverpool fan might concede if they are honest with themselves  :-[

KunDB

Yes Goat and Lee the tablets are working well for me. A new person happy and full of the joy of the world.

Paddy

KunDB, It wasn't the losing that I was complaining about (Although it doesn't sit well). It was not having a striker for most of the game. Also we could be risking losing Gabriel Jesus, I am sure that it wasn't good for his confidence (which has taken a knock recently) to have to sit on the bench under those circumstances and watch a handful of chances go begging for the want of a striker. We now have four top players out of action and I don't think we have enough satisfactory cover for the time of year

gavin

Hopefully Jesus will find his form soon. He does give a lot outside the box but needs to find the scoring touch again. He'll do that on the pitch rather than on the bench. I think Sterling is a cracking player in his position but that is on the wing. Jesus is a better striker and he should have started at weekend.

KunDB

Quote from: Paddy on December 10, 2018, 12:36:54
KunDB, It wasn't the losing that I was complaining about (Although it doesn't sit well). It was not having a striker for most of the game. Also we could be risking losing Gabriel Jesus, I am sure that it wasn't good for his confidence (which has taken a knock recently) to have to sit on the bench under those circumstances and watch a handful of chances go begging for the want of a striker. We now have four top players out of action and I don't think we have enough satisfactory cover for the time of year

Jesus cannot complain and he knows that, he is young, very young and struggling to rediscover his scoring touch. He will do sooner or later, but for now the choice for Pep was a misfiring striker or an on form on fire winger. Pep choose the winger, which is not unreasonable because most our goals have come from non strikers, and that is a lot of goals.

Sadly as Gavin points out Raheem is a superb winger and a sad striker, so it did not work. But why question Pep when 95% of what he does works tremendously and is innovative. He likes possession, he likes attack, why complain when we lose one or he gets something wrong on a rare occasion. It is a long season and players have to be rotated. That was not the problem here or Sterling's position, the problem was too many key players were either missing or misfiring. It happens, we all move on. The pressure is now on Liverpool to stay ahead which is different from chasing.

gavin

Pep's a fuckin genius but even he makes fuck ups. If he's no faith in Jesus then we need another striker.

zacc

Can't recall which game may have been a CL game last season but had a loss and it galvinated them for the rest of the season.
So hoping this will have the same effect

Paddy

Kun DB. What's your excuse for yesterdays performance, seeing as u r so critical ?...

KunDB

Well Paddy. We underperformed as a team it’s as simple as that. Walker fucked up twice and we just lacked drive and cutting edge all day. Palace on the other hand got all the breaks. How often does a player score a goal like the Townsend goal, once in a lifetime. Even their first goal was a very good strike (bad defending too) from struggling to score Palace and their third hit the post and broke straight to their player. It is fair to say that all three were in large part down to poor defending.

Nothing a manager can do about that as players can underperform, screw up and the breaks can go against you at a drop of a hat.

Also bear in mind, whether or not you agree, Pep and the club are preserving our best players for an all out assault on the Champions League. That’s the main target now.

We are spoilt with winning and not losing, but try to remember we are only human after all. We can lose as well as win.

Paddy

KunDB; "We lost one match"; No, We have lost three out of four...

KunDB

Paddy. It happens. No one has a god given right to be perfection. We’ve hit a poor patch, ride the storm out then enjoy the good times and trophies.