News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

January transfer window

Started by Hesperus, December 27, 2018, 07:46:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

Pep said a while ago, no signings in Jan. given the recent slump, do you think that position will change?

Obvious squad deficiencies are LB, Fernandinho cover and a striker.

Khaldoon reckoned we had learned from previous mistakes following our other league wins. However the £60 mil we spent on Mahrez looks a bit suspect at the moment.

goat

Seen de Jong mentioned a fair bit for January, cup-tied for chimps league tho

gavin

Mahrez has been very disappointing. It is a bit curious how Pep has been so clear that we won't sign anyone on the window. Particularly after we unsuccessfully chased several for the Fernandinho position in the summer. Mendy has been another big disappointment because of injuries. Though his defensive capabilities haven't been his greatest aspect when he has played anyway. I'd certainly welcome cover in the left back and defensive midfield positions. I'm also a bit curious as to why Delph isn't tried in midfield given it is his original position. He could at least have given it a go in one of the cup games where Zinchenko played left back anyway.

I can't see the position changing though as it has been made very clear on several occasions in Pep's press conferences.

Neil Mcnab

Mendy is a sick note, but we have cover, yes its not ideal as Pep wants flying machines at FB. What striker good enough is coming in to spend most of their time on the bench. DM then? De Jong not playing in a proper league, not a DM, but looks a great prospect. At the moment do we need a prospect or someone who can make an impact immediately. Feck knows, get it sorted Pep.

goat

yeah, nobody good has ever come out of the dutch league

Neil Mcnab

Him whose teeth are offside, the Dyke, many more great players. But also https://talksport.com/football/157434/worst-premier-league-team-based-signings-eredivise-buttner-babel-ghaly-alves-and-more/ Alves scored 7 in one game in the Eredivise, struggled to do that in a season over here. 

Hesperus

De Jong would be class but I can’t see it happening, or any others for that matter. Pity.

gavin

Pep still insistent in todays presser that no-one will be signed....

KunDB

I cannot see anyone being signed this window as the club and Pep seem to be honest enough on this issue. January business is invariably bad business, so I don't care.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

I missed the Leicester cup match but heard that one of the kids had a great match in the Dinho role? Give him a run.

gavin

He was a little less insistent in today's presser, indicating that he might change his mind tomorrow. He then said he was happy with the squad again though. Maybe one or two doubts creeping in, he did appear to be in two minds.

Paddy

It is not a good time to sign players but we def need a left back, LaPorte is good but he is not a left back. Played ok in that position tonight but got wired up towards the end

Swiss

Quote from: gavin on January 02, 2019, 21:41:58
He was a little less insistent in today's presser, indicating that he might change his mind tomorrow. He then said he was happy with the squad again though. Maybe one or two doubts creeping in, he did appear to be in two minds.

It's not been a managers decision to bring players in since ADUG took over.  I don't doubt he helps select the targets, but it's more of Tixki's role as director of football and Mansour.  I imagine he's asked, but may have been told no.
I also wonder if the UEFA/ FA probe are affecting wether we bring in anyone or not... maybe we'll be hit with a big fine and kicked out of Europe.  This will help mitigate any financial loss by not spanking loadsa money now.

gavin

I reckon Pep was consulted on signings during the last 12 months of Pellegrini's reign. It is clear, and correct, that they greatly respect his opinion. You have to have trust in your manager and give him what he wants.

A manager with Pep's reputation and standing in the game and with the main people at the club will get a very strong say in whether there are incomings and outgoings and who gets on the shortlists. I'd be amazed if we signed someone who he didn't approve of.

Alternatively, a club can bring in a manager who is desperate for the job and give him no say, no idea whether he will be here next season and sign or not sign who the hell they want and it will all end in tears again.

Hesperus

I’m still hopeful we’ll sign a LB in Jan, no matter what Pep says it’s a clear weakness that’s caused us dropped points. Laporte can cover there but that weakens us at CB. Maybe Stones and Otamendi can work as a CB combination but I’d rather have Stones and Laporte as a pair.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: gavin on January 04, 2019, 22:12:46
Alternatively, a club can bring in a manager who is desperate for the job and give him no say, no idea whether he will be here next season and sign or not sign who the hell they want and it will all end in tears again.

Sounds like Moaninho at the rags :D

Swiss

Quote from: gavin on January 04, 2019, 22:12:46
I reckon Pep was consulted on signings during the last 12 months of Pellegrini's reign. It is clear, and correct, that they greatly respect his opinion. You have to have trust in your manager and give him what he wants.

A manager with Pep's reputation and standing in the game and with the main people at the club will get a very strong say in whether there are incomings and outgoings and who gets on the shortlists. I'd be amazed if we signed someone who he didn't approve of.

For sure,  itd be madness for a club not to consult the manager,  especially if they knew he was coming in.

Trying to remind myself who came in that final Pellegrino year

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Hesperus

We need to be quicker and smarter according to Pep this morning. Looks like missing out on De Jong has annoyed him maybe?  Certainly comes across as a thinly veiled swipe and Tixi and the board. Hmm.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

We're after De Ligt (spelling) apparently to replace Otamendi, will probably be in the summer now anyway.