News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Liverpool - Big Club?

Started by KunDB, January 26, 2019, 10:49:01

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

So tired of hearing from the Scousers what a BIG club Liverpool are, really. Last Premier League title 1989-90. Last major trophy 2006 FA Cup.
Yes ,they might win the PL this year but that remains to be seen and they are aready out, from the very early stages, of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup, meaning they can concentrate just on the PL and CL, resting players and keeping their injury risk and list down. That gives them a significant advantage over many of their competitors.

For example, Liverpool last played Saturday 19th January and their next game is Wednesday 30th January. In between City have been competing on all fronts and will have played 4 games (Huddersfield, Burton, Burnley, Newcastle) and are in the Final of the Carabao Cup. Now that's a big club, competing successfully on all fronts.

So winning the PL wont make them a big club again, just bring them a title after a long wait. Losing would be a disaster.

Neil Mcnab

I hate the thieving bastards. But, having worked in Liverpool, in general they are more into football than Manchester is. Going to Anfield for a neutral is much more of an experience than coming to us. They have a roll of honours putting us to shame. So they have the history.
Recently, they have been out of the limelight, but look like they are coming back. Good management if they have dropped out of competitions that are not their priority. So for me, the Stanley knife wielding filthy Koppites support a big club

Gareth

Ok, a bit off-topic but the Talksport web-site had an interesting list of Premier League stadiums ranked by crime rate in the surrounding area. I correctly predicted #1, then guessed Pool for #2 (which would make Everton #3 with the grounds being so close) but it turns out our scouse friends are (a bit) nicer than I thought. I'm guessing that trashing City's coach on the way to Anfield didn't actually count as a crime, though.

gavin

They were ruling the roost and then some when I was a kid. They're a big club and no doubt about that. But nobody has a right to be successful as they and the rags seem to think they do. I'll enjoy our success when we have it. For sure though, we'll only be successful for so long - just like the scouser and the rags. I'm just delighted we have been successful. When we can't be successful I hope it isn't the scousers and/or the rags who are. Success should be shared around a bit. It is their sense of entitlement that annoys me.

KunDB

Good management if they have dropped out of competitions that are not their priority. (Neil quote)

I understand why you say that but I do not agree. Winning is a habit (a good habit) and losing is also a habit (a bad habit).

It shows your weakness when you have to drop out of competitions to compete well in others, and lack of depth in your squad. That bad habit and lack of depth may even yet prove the achillies heel for a Liverpool team barren of success for many many years, as it did just a few years ago 2013-14 in the PL.

bry the guy

If they have dropped out of the league cup and FA cup on purpose, to win the the league ok but its a big gamble.We are in 4 comps and are capable of winning them all.
I would prefure to be playing 3 games a week than going on on warm weather hollidays just to keep our eye in.

gavin

I see Aldridge has said that there's no pressure on City as we're a small club. No, the pressure is all on Liverpool because they've not won it for so long.

Rowley Birkin QC

Liverpool are undoubtedly a big club. When they came out to Melbourne a few years ago to play some pre-season games they pulled in a huge crowd from across Australia, all but filling the MCG (cap: 100,000) with a sea of red - and a rousing pre-game rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" that the local sports media were breathlessly replaying for weeks after. Made me want to puke...

Now, we do get starved of high quality football down here, so it's possible that a fair percentage of that crowd were just Liverpool fans for a day (loads of ex-pat Brits just missing their football), but it was very noticeable as the TV cameras panned the crowd that the vast majority of them looked like greying late Baby Boomers and Generation X'ers still living on the memories of those great Liverpool teams they had watched in the 1970's and 1980's. We shouldn't underestimate how influential those teams were. 

City, by comparison, when they came out here for pre-season friendlies a couple of years ago, managed to turn one end of the MCG sky blue, which I thought was a fair effort - when we consider the relative successes of the two clubs over the last 40 years.

KunDB

That’s the point they are living of their history, their great team of the 70s 80s, whereas this current team is our great team and is making our history now.

The Liverpool Utd great clubs mantra is a result of rigging all competitions so they have competitive and financial advantage. Done so the football authorities, European and Domestic, can market their products of their back and cash in.

City are not a big club because they have disrupted that marketing plan of the authorities, and co-conspirators the media, with what they like to call as a ‘Sugar Daddy’ to disparage and put down city. Other media commentary is similarly framed in other disparaging language, designed to keep City thought of as a ‘Small Club’.

Just look at the success of City in recent years and the lack of recognition of this by these same parties. How many City players have won awards despite this success and amazing football. An excuse is always found not to award it to City players or their manager. What awards have Kun and Merlin won - two of the best players ever in the PL, KdB as well? Always an excuse. What coverage was their of City’s record breaking last year in the media, no titles awarded in the media coverage such as ‘The Centurions’ . Imagine if Liverpool or Utd had been the winning record shattering team not City. Just imagine the media coverage that would have followed and continued thereafter.

Just look at the media coverage of Sterling - the Liverpool player versus Sterling - the City player. Look at the media coverage of Yaya.

Big clubs are defined by the media, as are small clubs. Btw same thing happened to Chelsea who were also considered intruders into the exclusive football group defined as the ‘Big Clubs’.

City are currently a bigger and better football club than failing Utd and recovering Liverpool,just starved by the media and football classes of proper recognition for their startling success and amazing beautiful football.

Neil Mcnab

Klopps teams have been held up as teams that "burn out" in the second half of the season. Reducing the miles covered in competitive games to ward off burnout would seem a good idea for them. If they win the league, they are favourites, they would surely think it was worth it. Odds, Liverpool are odds on 4/6, we are 6/5. 

We need to win the Champions League, probably a couple of times to increase our profile. The attendance and atmosphere for some games also does not help.

Lekos

I'm not entirely sure where all this has come from Zabba. 

I certainly think Liverpool are a big club and don't really see the issue with this.  I still find their fans incredibly annoying and if / when they next win the league it will be unbearable, I'm sure of that.  Klopp has started to do my head in as well, but these are just personal, subjective issues  :D

It's all cyclical and in 30 / 40 years people will be talking about the City team of the current decade, I'm sure of that.  I guess we will be living on our history then?

I can't quite believe you think we've had a lack of recognition in recent years, especially last season.  More or less every single week reporters were running out of superlatives for us.  Not sure what you were reading or listening to, and I'm not really sure what you expect.  Perhaps the Guardian, Times, Telegraph to all club together and send their staff out to give all UK based City fans a reacharound in appreciation?  Maybe they all need to hire you as a City anti-bias consultant!  ;)

The media coverage of Raheem has been disguting, but I don't think this has anything to do with a pro-Liverpool bias.  Raheem wasn't a world beater at Liverpool, let's face it....so he wasn't in the press much.  It has to do with the higher media profile which the move to City gave him and the higher media profile because of how much he's improved and how well he's been playing with us.  That and also papers which most of the attacks come from like the Dail Hate Mail are racist twats.

I'm pretty sure last season was the first time Aguero has featured in the Premier League team of the year, which I do find strange...but that's voted for by the players.

City are recently a much more successful club than Yoonited and Liverpool - but I don't think we are a "bigger" club (yet).  Yoonited certainly have more fans worldwide and Liverpool probably do as well, but we're closing the gap.

Big clubs are not defined by the media; they're defined by the trophies they win.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Lekos on January 29, 2019, 13:23:38

Big clubs are not defined by the media; they're defined by the trophies they win.

Absolutely. It's the media who tend to perpetuate these things beyond a team's 'glory years' - but it's trophies, and to some extent the size of the supporter base, that defines a big club.

KunDB

Quote from: Lekos on January 29, 2019, 13:23:38
Maybe they all need to hire you as a City anti-bias consultant!  ;)

I'm open to offers should they be interested, but I don't come cheap and expect perks; like pork pies and a pint thrown in.

Paddy

Always had and still do have a lot of respect and admiration for Liverpool and although they dropped points tonight they will be hard to catch. It is now theirs to lose so no pressure on us; told my newsagent that yesterday morning and he laughed, will check with him this morning, binners brat !!

KunDB

The Liverpool deluded fans working in my friends work were as good as celebrating going seven clear and their ‘stroll’ to the PL title yesterday morning. They never learn. Looking forward to this mornings mood update.

Rowley Birkin QC

KunDB

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on January 31, 2019, 10:32:13
Remember when the bindippers said they lost because our grass was too long?

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/439221/premier-league-liverpool-snow-leicester/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1548884154

That is unbelievable, what unsporting behaviour, have they no shame. Glad it has been exposed, the Referee should have taken action and demanded that both halves were cleared.

bry the guy

Just give them 2 more points that they deserve for there shit peformance.The victims really think they were cheated.

lee

KunDB

Kyle Walker needs to wise up and stop tweeting about the opposition. Only motivates them to play better. He should concentrate on sorting out his shit performances of this season.

Stephen Paul

hate them with a passion . Victims with no backbone 

Paddy

Maybe I gave them to much credit. We r back in it...

KunDB

How far offside do you have to be for the officals to see it, if your Liverpool your okay upto 3 miles (against West Hame). Disgraceful and just pure cheating, the exact reason Liverpool were so vociperous against VAR being introduced. They are invariably the beneficary of dodgy decisons particularly at Anfield.

Linesman was right beside the offside too.

gavin

Absolutely ridiculous. The worst offside decision I think I've ever seen. It was right in front of the linesman. It was that clear even the ref should have seen it. If they were deliberately cheating they wouldn't have been brazen enough to allow that goal.

KunDB

Well over to City. Beat Everton we can go top of the PL and put even more pressure on Liverpool.

Officils are useless and have got even worse this season. How can Friend and Co. look at themselves in the mirror tonight.

gavin

The officials would have allowed another offside goal for them at the end then. Fortunately Origi missed. How Klopp had the audacity to complain to the ref about something I don't know. They were lucky to get a point.

KunDB

Quote from: gavin on February 04, 2019, 22:25:13
The officials would have allowed another offside goal for them at the end then. Fortunately Origi missed. How Klopp had the audacity to complain to the ref about something I don't know. They were lucky to get a point.

I await to see the FA Charge against Klopp.

Paddy

Didn't see either goal, switched over to late, thought Westham were lethargic and not really interested in the game. Still a good result for us

Paddy

Did enjoy watching Klopp squirming for the last half hour !!!

KunDB

Klopp has a history of blaming everything bar himself and players, referees are a favourite, the pitch (grass a mm too long) and snow on pitch.

Last night he simply questioned the impartiality of the referee Kevin Friend, laughable citing as motive his award of the Liverpool clearly offside goal.

Pep got cautioned for stating how hard a referees job can be.

Managers are allowed to speak about referees after a match but they are not permitted to imply bias, question the integrity of the officials or say anything that can be deemed as personally offensive.

Lets see the FA Charge and what sanctions they place on him, as he has form. Klopp was fined £8,000 and warned about his future behaviour by the FA in December after he accepted a charge of misconduct for running onto the pitch in celebration of Liverpool’s late winner against Everton at Anfield.

He has history in the Champions League criticisng referees and players (Sergio Ramos) scapegoating them for his and his teams failings.

The FA has up to three days days to decide whether to charge Klopp or contact the Liverpool manager for his observations.

KunDB

gavin

Explanation is that he's been in Liverpool long enough now to become a whinging scouse cnut.

bry the guy

KunDB

Big pressure on Liverpool to win away at Bayern Munich or get a score draw. They have a poor away European record.

Stephen Paul

2 shots on goal at home. shite

KunDB

Quote from: KunDB on January 26, 2019, 10:49:01
So tired of hearing from the Scousers what a BIG club Liverpool are, really. Last Premier League title 1989-90. Last major trophy 2006 FA Cup.
Yes ,they might win the PL this year but that remains to be seen and they are aready out, from the very early stages, of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup, meaning they can concentrate just on the PL and CL, resting players and keeping their injury risk and list down. That gives them a significant advantage over many of their competitors.

For example, Liverpool last played Saturday 19th January and their next game is Wednesday 30th January. In between City have been competing on all fronts and will have played 4 games (Huddersfield, Burton, Burnley, Newcastle) and are in the Final of the Carabao Cup. Now that's a big club, competing successfully on all fronts.

So winning the PL wont make them a big club again, just bring them a title after a long wait. Losing would be a disaster.

Pep said after Bournemouth win. ""But I think we've played 25 games in 93 days, one every three days, so it's a physiological issue. The body is not able to recover so of course sometimes the muscle says 'hello, that's enough'."

That just demonstrates the massive advantage Liverpool have over us in the battle for the Premier League. Liverpool have only played 19 games in that time. A game every 5 days.