News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pellegrini Out!

Started by gavin, February 07, 2015, 22:36:08

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Okay the thread title is a bit dramatic but as a natural consequence of the football season the manager's position must be assessed every summer. I would say that we need to get through against Barcelona and manage to seriously challenge Chelsea for the rest of the season. 7 points is a bit to make up from here, we've done it before but we might not be able to do it this time. However we must make inroads into that lead before the end of the season. At the moment we are going backwards. The manager seems to have no clue how to get the team producing dangerous dead ball kicks regularly. No clue how to sort the defence. No clue how to get the team producing fast, attacking football.

I would say it is not looking good for him. He's still got the time to turn it around before summer but after today I seriously doubt he will do.

Zabba

Pelle is skating on thin ice.

The players are playing even worse under his loving care than Mancini's so called tyranny.

So many players underperforming the manager, set up and tactics have to be questioned.

I personally am not a great believer in swapping and chopping managers so I would like to see Pelle swing the axe at underperforming players. Dropping Kompany might send the right message, as a starter.

Ludo

I don't know who has the final say or overall control of our transfer policy but over the last few transfer windows we've bought some shit.

Fernando, Navas, Jovetic and Mangala just aren't doing it and quite possibly never will.

Lekos

It all started falling apart when Aguero got injured and Yaya fucked off to AFCON. Should be beating hull, 'boro, Burnley, Stoke etc at home either way.

Barca match is crunch time. The optimist in me thinks we'll be going through. I think we need to for Pelle to keep his job.

2nd spot under threat. It's all a bit wank. I'm drunk.

Neil Mcnab

We have not looked anything like for some time. We have tanked and Pelle does not seem to have any answers. The summer will bring big changes, the owners will need to decide if Pelle is the manager to oversee all that.
I am not wanting to keep changing the manager. Experience says the manager needs time to build success.
But, we won the league, this squad is good. We should be doing better, much, much better. So, because this summer is so important and the managers input will be crucial, Pelle needs to be replaced. Burgerstain needs to be looked at as well, if he is helping decide who comes in.

andy1966

Didn't he inherit the premiership winning side ?or most of it , boy was he lucky !
As soon as we are out the champs he is toast I recon
also which ever coach is in charge of corners should also be packing his bags

Thirteen corners to one again today , W T F ?

Rowley Birkin QC

In spite of winning two Championships between them, Mancini's - and now Pellegrini's - Achilles Heel increasingly looks like a strange detachment from what is going on around them and an ability to address it (change).

With Mancini his detachment was born of arrogance. In some ways I think he cared too much, was too critical, and in the end he pissed off too many people, alienated the majority of the squad and ended up a lonely, isolated figure. Pellegrini's detachment comes from the other side of the coin. He seems too laid back, too genial - to the point of appearing distant. It's hard to read 'This Charming Man' from his very 'straight bat' press conferences (I long since stopped watching them) but there's a curious lack of passion about him. No heat. So is he like this with the players, and if so - do they really connect with him / want to play for him? Or do they just see him as "nice old Pellers" and only go through the motions?

Half-arsed speculation on my part admittedly. After all, everything was good once Mancini departed and City looked a much happier ship. The players certainly appear more content with each other on the pitch and we had that blistering first half to last season, and although we faltered a bit in the latter stages we did enough to be crowned Champions. So maybe the players do love him and hang on his every word! And on the face of it there's no reason why Pellegrini can't recapture that team spirit and good form.

...However, things have undoubted gone into a slow decline over the last 10 months or so, and as yet Pellegrini has been unable to arrest it and the players have shown only a limited desire to help him out. Something doesn't seem right.

clevblue

You do get the feeling he's losing control, the rest of this season will be his last chance because, right or wrong, the Arab owners won't waste any time on something that's not working, he'll just be gone.

I hope he turns it around, he's the best we've had for many years

goat

and with harry and stuart pearce available he better get it right

Rowley Birkin QC

OK - less waffle from me this time. More specifics...

Injuries: these haven't helped Pellegrini at all this season. Can't hold him responsible for those, but that said...

....Squad rotation: these's too much of it. Especially at the back.

His tactics: essentially sound I think - at least on paper. But once the players get out there - all too often there's a disturbing lack of urgency about the way we play. Our build-ups are too patient. We move (and think) too slowly. We don't shoot enough. We don't really go after opponents - aside from the odd 5 minute spell of pressure (usually limited to one spell in each half!)  The players can cop a lot of the blame for this, but at the end of the day it's Pellegrini's job to motivate them and communicate to them in no uncertain terms that they're doing it wrong! I can't really believe he tells them "Possession is everything! Play keep-ball at the back and bore the opposition to death. Don't run when you can jog. Pace yourselves!"? If he does - he's a fool.

Corners and free kicks (doing them and defending them): I think we all agree - we're rubbish. (Yaya - and occasionally James Milner  :D aside on the doing side of things)

Players he's brought in: well... there is the question as to whether or not they are 'his' players, but before we get too paranoid about the power and influence of the Barcelona Boys I think we have to assume Pellegrini had some important input on the matter. So not a pretty picture then -  certainly not for some of the money we've shelved out. I'm more tolerant of Navas than some of you, but Mangala and Fernando have caused far more disruption than good.

Players he hasn't brought in: the one thing that has bugged me all season is at what point did Pellegrini and the Barcelona Boys realise Negredo was unhappy in Manchester and was almost certainly going to be shipped back to warmer climes? At what point did they think it was a good idea not to look for a replacement until the January transfer window? Idiots.

Zabba

It is difficult to understand Pelle's thinking and tactics.

Two of our best, arguably the best two, players against Chelsea, Navas and Milner, dropped to the bench for the home game against Hull. What message does that send to players.

Fernando and Fernandinho picked ahead of Milner and Navas. Two defensive midfielders played at home against a team stuffed 3 0 at their home ground and near the drop zone and devoid of confidence. Fernandinho Fernando whose main contribution each game is to give the ball to the opposition at every opportunity.

Dzeko played, do I need to say more? Jovetic humiliated mid week by being dropped from our CL squad then brought on to save us weekend when we are failing, replacing Silva, do |I need to say more?

The constant tinkering just does not make sense in any way and now it is so blatantly obvious players are devoid of confidence and belief. The defence has fallen apart, Kompany has gone from champion to comedy and calamity. Joe is a joke and is no where near being a world class goalie.

Lets take a look at the players out of form Kompany, Aguero, Silva, Zabaleta, need I continue to the dead weight we have bought over the last few seasons Fernando, Fernandinho, ............

It is blatantly obvious that something is wrong and seriously wrong within this squad and the manager is failing.

If you do not believe this watch the match again and pay attention to our players arguing with each other.

Rowley Birkin QC

Fernandinho is not "dead weight". Do try to make sure you're watching the right Brazilian.

Zabba

Quote from: Sir Rowley Birkin QC on February 08, 2015, 13:32:45
Fernandinho is not "dead weight". Do try to make sure you're watching the right Brazilian.

Sorry you are right meant Fernando. Ranting and panting too much, changed.

goat

its still the same and you called both dead weight

Zabba

Oh get it now, they are both dead weight as they add very little to the team and nothing going forward. Fernandinho better of the two and was grand last year but we need more than two defensive mids that protect a back four leaky as a sieve. What is the point might as well have kept Nige - he was better in many ways than the sum of these two. Lets get in a defensive mid who can also add to attack when needed.

When Yaya is away we are short in attack and supplementing Silva and Nasri to give them more space to create.

I take Rowley and you agree with test just bone picking.

goat

wasnt bone picking actually, confused how you accidentally typed two names and pointed it out in the hope you would clear it up

but

seeing as you want to act a bell about it. well you fucked that up didnt you, you would have thought 1 of the 27 of you would have got it right

happy now?

considering other than aguero and dzeko dragging us over the line when aguero was broken fernandinho was possibly our most important player, not just with what he did but what he let others do. you dont turn shit that quickly and the summer could be a factor in his ropey form

Zabba

I think the biggest factor in all our players form is the way that Pelle rotates and picks players even if they have played shite. Oh and our total lack of pace and urgency, soul destroying. Players are confused and bemused.

Ludo

I know the manager sets out the team and tactics but there comes a time when senior players have to have the intelligence (couple of 'O'-levels should do) to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

When utd were in their pomp they always had a loud mouth or two to let players know when they weren't performing. We don't seem to have that, there's too much shaking of heads and muttering when something goes wrong. Too many indians and not enough chiefs.

Leewonpen

Quote from: gavin on February 07, 2015, 22:36:08
I would say that we need to get through against Barcelona and manage to seriously challenge Chelsea for the rest of the season.

Agree Gav but I think our reality is that we need to make sure we stay in the top 4. On current form  that is not a given.

Zabba

I would say tomorrow will tell us a lot about whether Pelle has lost the players respect and commitment. I fear that recent performances may just reflect that.

Swiss

Ludo

Still think there's better mangers out there but would they come to us?

Guardiola's proven himself both domestically and in Europe as has Ancelotti. Simeone and Klopp are two young upcoming managers that might be worth a shout, although Dortmund are having a mare this season, but both would be a risk.

If we have reasonable finish to the season he might keep his job but I think a lot will ride on the Barcelona games, we can't keep fucking up in Europe.

Zabba

I am happy to say Pelle seems to have got the backing of the players second half anyway. He also seems to have encouraged more players to commit into the opponents box. Long may it continue. For me his future will hinge on how we finish in our remaining Premier League games.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

gavin

If we get beat by Barca, it is surely time to start identifying possible replacements.

Lekos

I'd be shocked if that search isn't already under way

Neil Mcnab

Quote from: Lekos on March 14, 2015, 19:24:48
I'd be shocked if that search isn't already under way
Ditto.
Like to see a manager who is hungry for success and on the way up.

andy1966

I went to Burnley V City back in about 1972 / 73 we had the great Lee , Bell Summerbee  etc 
It was a very intimidating ground back then , and we were stuffed 3-0
I actually had visions of a repeat today 
Pellegrini is toast IMHO , his tactics and substitutions have been at least "Eyebrow raising"
He inherited a title winning side , lived off them , and failed to improve them , ass he moved players on
We got worse

We will draw a blank this season  , lets hope his replacement is a lot better

Hesperus

KunDB

Not just about Pellegrini it is about players and the backroom staff as well and their somewhat deluded 'holistic' Barca Mk11 philosophy.

A holistic approach is fine but not trying to be a Barca Mk11, lets just be City and build a our own philosophy and style of play that will dominate for years to come and one others will want to follow n the future. Being Barca Mk11 is a bit like after the lord mayors show, it just is not the same buzz.

As for the players I ask them why did we get shot of Mancini, why did we play so poor in the FA Cup final and so often since he went. Why have we been found out by inferior European opposition and rolled over to have our bellies tickled by better teams. That is not all down to the manager. We got a tad fortunate in the Premier League last year so I am not overly impressed by that it was a very poor PL and still we nearly lost it.

Rowley Birkin QC

He's gone. Only a stupendous turn-around at the Nou Camp will save Pellegrini now, and perhaps not even that. 

We have not played consistent, good football (in the Prem or the CL) since the middle of last season.

He's now had more than a year and two transfer windows to re-capture the excellent form of his first few months in charge at the club and he has failed to do so.

We lose or draw too many big games against close rivals, and struggle too often against minnow teams.

Time to go - but a few others should be leaving with him (and that includes a few of the players)

bry the guy

If they are going to sack him at the end off the season i think they should sack him NOW and get Viera in for the last ten games and see what he can do.

Tricky Trev

Yup he should definitely be sacked now, or at least after the cl exit. As much as I want Pelle out he shouldn't take the blame alone. There obviously is something rotten at city, we see it season after season. How come twice in a row city luck out and barely grab the title, then then next season is absolute feckin pathetic ? Somehow the manager completely loses the plot and we end up losing to Burnley. It should NEVER happen in a million years, yet city manages to lose these matches almost consistently. Cursed I say, because I cannot in my wildest imagination explain how a club with these resources manages to be so bad.

goat

so if the players quit on mancini and look the same with pelle why dont they just ask them cunts who they do want as manager

bluebrendan

He has to go now because our top 4 place looks increasingly in danger. It's not just the players to blame, Pellegrini's stubbornness in persisting with 2 up front when we have neither the striker nor midfield options to allow that formation to flourish is at the root of this and has been ever since Negredo's injury/loss of form in the middle of last season. Negredo/Aguero was a brilliant strike partnership but neither Dzeko nor Bony really tick all the boxes as a replacement for Negredo. We more or less staggered over the line last season because injuries/loss of form forced Pellegrini to play one up front at times and Dzeko in particular benefited from that. Our best form this season was in December when we barely had any strikers available at the time and Pellegrini's hand was forced once again but he seems not to have recognised why that led to him getting Manager of the Month.

It's hard to avoid the impression that at least some of the players know what the problem is and are frustrated by the manager's failure to act on it.

KunDB

Quote from: bluebrendan on March 15, 2015, 12:23:25
He has to go now because our top 4 place looks increasingly in danger. It's not just the players to blame, Pellegrini's stubbornness in persisting with 2 up front when we have neither the striker nor midfield options to allow that formation to flourish is at the root of this and has been ever since Negredo's injury/loss of form in the middle of last season. Negredo/Aguero was a brilliant strike partnership but neither Dzeko nor Bony really tick all the boxes as a replacement for Negredo. We more or less staggered over the line last season because injuries/loss of form forced Pellegrini to play one up front at times and Dzeko in particular benefited from that. Our best form this season was in December when we barely had any strikers available at the time and Pellegrini's hand was forced once again but he seems not to have recognised why that led to him getting Manager of the Month.

It's hard to avoid the impression that at least some of the players know what the problem is and are frustrated by the manager's failure to act on it.

Pelle was brought in to be a yes man and to play 442 no matter what. It would seem the bit the Barca twins do not get is we do not have the best players available in the world which is what allows Barca to play 442. Also they have weak submissive opposition week in week out whereas in the PL the crafty old dog managers fighting to keep their jobs will set up their teams to fight tooth and nail for every single point and are more than happy to sit back crowd the box and hit on the break or play the long or high ball game all day every day, if needed. Making 442 pointless and toothless.