News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Milner

Started by Stephen Paul, February 08, 2015, 08:15:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Paul

Man of the match against Chelsea and on the bench yesterday . I have not been a great fan of him but lately he has been superb linking well with Zabba .

Ludo

He has a lot of the qualities that some of our supposedly more technically gifted players don't.

He has determination, a will to win, runs non-stop and isn't a primadonna. Ok, he's not blessed with the skills of Silva or Aguero but he's a better option in the team than either Navas, Fernando or Jovetic.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Ludo on February 08, 2015, 09:07:52
He has a lot of the qualities that some of our supposedly more technically gifted players don't.

Quite. Might not have the 'full set' when it comes to technical ability (as goat likes to remind us) but we could do with one or two more work-horses like Milner. And, to be fair, he's not exactly hopeless either. His touch might let him down from time to time but he gets a lot of things right as well. Nowt wrong with that free kick he took yesterday!

goat

too slow to be a real threat out wide so why not give him a go running around in the middle, cant be any worse than fernando

Rowley Birkin QC

There I agree with you totally goat.

Many times on this forum in the past you, I and others have questioned why both Pellegrini and Mancini seemed so insistent that Milner was a winger.

goat

might be wrong...it has happened once before but when jimmeh turned up wasnt he having a run in the middle at villa?

Rowley Birkin QC

Yes he was. Don't recall Villa playing him as a wide player much if at all.

alexsam

He will be gone in the summer to the dippers.

Cannot blame him really. Saturday would have summed it up for him. Cannot get in ahead of Fernando at home v Hull is a bad decision by the manager.

But we do not know the full story behind the scenes.

However this season is panning out like the last season after winning the league. A few people are saying Pelle has lost the dressing room, some rows amongst players during matches, a tendancy to dwaddle during games early on (whole of the first half really).

Poor overall

Swiss

Quote from: goat on February 08, 2015, 13:55:56
might be wrong...it has happened once before but when jimmeh turned up wasnt he having a run in the middle at villa?

Yep, box to box and (like Barry) was their main free kick taker and Penalty taker

alexsam

Barry was never box to box unless you call the area of the six yard box as being box to box.

Good player though. One of those who you missed more when he did not play.

clevblue

"A few people are saying Pelle has lost the dressing room"  It's always bad when you start seeing that phrase. The beginning of the end, or is it the end of the beginning?. Who knows.

City have to progress, taking the long-term view, and I'm sure Abu Dhabi will be, Pellegrini may just be seen as a step in the right direction, it's really up to the man himself to make it something extra special

I'll be very annoyed if it gives that smug cnut Mourinho something to smarmy grin about. >:( Pardon my language

andy1966

Quote from: clevblue on February 10, 2015, 13:45:48
"A few people are saying Pelle has lost the dressing room"  It's always bad when you start seeing that phrase. The beginning of the end, or is it the end of the beginning?. Who knows.

City have to progress, taking the long-term view, and I'm sure Abu Dhabi will be, Pellegrini may just be seen as a step in the right direction, it's really up to the man himself to make it something extra special

I'll be very annoyed if it gives that smug cnut Mourinho something to smarmy grin about. >:( Pardon my language
Can never understand why these smug over paid players, would sacrifice their own season and even more important that of the fans just because they get a mard arse on with the manager
Anyone involved has absolutely no loyalty to the club    imo

goat

why would they really give a toss about the fans and loyalty is long gone, dont forget the clubs will fuck the players off quick enough if they are no use anymore

players like zab and kompany are rare these days and i think fans think they are more important than they really are

but the fans pay the wages right?....no

really should dig out the interview with the chairman that disagreed with that

anyway, cheapest season ticket is around 300 quid if city had 45000 each game all with a season ticket thats around 13.5 mill.... how much is yaya on per year on his own? well calling it 200k without all the bonus shit over 10 mill per year

goat

anyway, back on point. club dont seem in a rush to give jimmeh a contract do they

andy1966

"but the fans pay the wages right?....no"
You are right fans no longer pay the wages as the new FA deal confirms 5.13 billion over 3 years an increase of 71% on the last package
And you are also right Milner should be given a new contract , he is one of the few still trying at the mo

goat

this was going back 10 years
sky were paying a fair whack of them
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/02/sport.comment2

it does take more than effort, i would run around for 90 minutes for city every week assuming its not too hot or cold for me and im betting there would be a few threads here about me being a bit shit

andy1966

I'd run about neck deep in shit for half what they are on

gavin

Who buys Sky for the football?? Football fans I would say. Same people who buy the kits, pies, drinks and all the other bollocks. I would say that fans pay a good portion of the wages whether it be through tickets, paraphernalia or buying TV subs. It certainly all adds up.

goat

lot of people dont buy sky for the football, would have to be a hell of a lot of meat pies and shitty shirts to pay for one player nevermind a squad

think id have to take the word of a bloke that paid a squads wages with this one gav

gavin

Well in our case a lot has come from the Sheikh obviously but since we're supposed to be self financing these days then the money can only come from the fans really. Even the Sponsorship is reliant on fans watching games otherwise there is no point in sponsoring is there? It all comes from fans one way or another. TV money is from fans. Sponsorship is from fans. Ticket money from fans. Kit money from fans.

goat

gavin

Which bit doesn't come from the fans in the end?

goat

im not saying your list doesnt come from the fans, my point was a team wouldnt crumble without them completely

you saw the rough maths with the full stadium and season tickets, few bits of random meat in pastry wouldnt add that much more

Zabba

Most players are professional these days playing for money and if they can wins a few honours as well great, if not they do not give a shit.

Fans are not that important to them, Sky and the media are more important for obvious reasons.

gavin

QuoteI keep hearing the phrase 'fans pay the players' wages', but fans need to know gate receipts don't come anywhere near doing that.

So that is what the guy who nearly took Palace bankrupt says. Even if he had proven himself a decent Chairman who could run a club he is still only taking into account gate receipts. As I already pointed out fans are responsible for a good part of all the club's revenue streams not just gate receipts. More fans, more sponsorship, more kits sold, more pies sold, more tickets sold, better subs sales for Sky. If fans desert the game then it is fucked really. Where will the revenue come from if no-one wants to watch?

goat

then explain the lower league clubs that dont get on sky and have sub 5000 crowds and how they can still keep going

doubting they charge 40 quid a ticket either

and how well he did as chairman doesnt matter, unlike us he has seen the books and knows where its all coming from

gavin

What wages do they pay?

goat

at whatever level they will still have a load of staff other than the players to pay, stewards etc

cant imagine a steward at city will get much more than one at rochdale

Neil Mcnab

Milner gives 100%. It should be taken that all the players do, but of our present lot, a few cant be arsed with the running around lark. I am surprised we are not going all in too keep him, being home grown and all. Cant blame him for wanting to start most games somewhere else.

For the finance, the fans in the stadium contribute a hell of a lot more than money. Empty stadiums give no atmosphere and the big Sky deal would quickly become very small Sky deals. In technical terms, they are an integral part of the football product. 

reddishblue

No point in talking technical here.  :D

Ludo

There's not much point in big companies sponsoring football, or anything else for that matter, if they didn't think that the fans would spend money on their products.

gavin

bry the guy

Well deserved and please sign a new contract.

Swiss

Quote from: alexsam on February 10, 2015, 12:31:03
Barry was never box to box unless you call the area of the six yard box as being box to box.

Good player though. One of those who you missed more when he did not play.

Not for England or City, but for the last 2 seasons with Villa he was far more attacking then we ever saw him.