News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Book Club

Started by Lekos, February 11, 2015, 22:21:11

Previous topic - Next topic

goat

so his book is about 3 other people and fifa  :D

only bit id be interested in is christmas dinner with diego

shandon

How about this line from the book:

"City fans might not want to hear it. But when I was a kid I wanted to be Michael Owen."  :o

goat

well he is injured as often  :D

shandon

He didn't like Owen at first after 'THAT' goal vs Argentina in 1998.

goat

at this rate we wont need to buy it, will be all here

should be a rule, players can only have a book if they are 35 and mental

shandon

I look forward to Yaya Toure writing his autobiography at some point  8)

goat

just found a load of ebooks on my phone if anyone wants any

bellamy
lake
pirlo
bergkamp
brilliant oranj
burridge
blue moon- down among the dead men
danish dynamite
zlatan
secret footballer
football manager stole my life

andy1966

Quote from: Lekos on February 14, 2015, 16:56:28
Hahaha. You don't know anything about me Andy. I know you like coal mining and the daily mail and that seems to upset you, which is obviously amusing.
And you my stalker friend no nothing about me , as I have told you many time , but has failed to register
I have not read newspapers for 35+ years  , if I look for something on line , for some reason sometimes it comes up on mail on line  , I read only that article
The type of stuff I read in mainly historic stuff associated with the industrial revolution (No coal , No industrial revolution) Coal mining just happened to be the major contributing factor to the building of this nation and the empire , and as most of this kicked off around Lancashire it also covers much local history
Working condition were appalling  with in excess of 300,000 men women and children being killed in the mines alone , in those days if you didn't work you didn't eat
Mining also led to the birth of trade unions , which in turn led to much better pay and conditions which we all benefit from today
All the related industry Canals , textiles ,engineering ,transport , iron etc , are all related to coal   
All of this came at a great human cost , and it was mainly in the pits
I'll leave you this , one account of the pretoria  pit disaster 21st December 1910  ,344 men and boy killed in one go

http://www.staveley-genealogy.com/pretoria_pit.htm

Lekos

You should probably reserve the "stalker" phrase for if I start following you round at matches (it doesn't really work on forums).  That probably won't happen though, so you're safe. 

I've been down some mines, most recently Potosi in Bolivia.  There's a shit life.  Average age of death around 35.

Kilkenny Blue

Back to thread topic, just finished The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga.  Highly recommended. Bought the Pirlo book in Italy and forgot about it till I saw Goaty mention it above  ;)  Next book for me to purchase is Artisans, about the great bicycle frame makers past and present.

bluepill

I'm not really into sport books autobiography stuff, but I'm currently reading the Saxon novels by Bernard cornwell. Good stuff of you like that kind of thing

Swiss

I'm reading the game of thrones books to see how they differ from the TV adaptation. If anyone is into sci-fi I read a lot of star wars books...

Lekos

The game of thrones books aren't finished yet are they?

goat

Quote from: Swiss on March 01, 2015, 13:52:49
I'm reading the game of thrones books to see how they differ from the TV adaptation. If anyone is into sci-fi I read a lot of star wars books...

many pictures of the midget?

bluepill

Is that the dwarf that is lip synced by Victor meldrew?

Lekos

Just started reading Ajax, the Dutch, the War by Simon Kuper.

It's no thrill a minute but pretty interesting.

goat

guessing a shedload about jews in it

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Anyone read any stuff by Alan Moore? Just been reading dodgem logic which is pretty good.

Stephen Paul

Quote from: shandon on February 16, 2015, 10:20:03
I am going to buy Sergio Aguero's book then  :)
I couldn't find it in the bookstores so I will have to buy it online.
Is it in English?