News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

VAR

Started by KunDB, November 04, 2019, 21:31:56

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

VAR
  ARTICLE ON VAR 

Premier League clubs will discuss whether managers should be ­allowed to appeal a refereeing decision during a game in a potentially radical change to how the video ­assistant referees are used.

One chairman told Telegraph Sport that he would be in favour of each team being given up to three appeals over contentious ­incidents during a game. However, the Premier League will strongly argue against it â€" claiming it will lead to time-wasting and tactical appeals by managers to break up play and run down the clock.

I have argued for that managers should have a right to ask for a VAR review, two per game only, for all decisions that are not offside decisons, but offside should only be applied by VAR if it is 'clear and obvious' offside in my opinion.

I would also argue that the game should not stop while a VAR review is underway. Only stop the game if after  the VAR review the referee has been advised to review their decision.

gavin

Bin it completely. It is the ruination of football. At weekend, I only half celebrated our second goal because of the fear of it being disallowed.

KunDB

I have to say I am coming to that view as well, that binning it may be best for football. Except, I cannot help think it should be used for, 'clear and obvious' offsides. But no stopping play, that is the real curse brought about by officialdom.

Gareth

I think VAR is designed for the entertainment of the television audience; not with the fans at the game in mind, or even whether referees' in-game decisions are right or wrong. It's all part of the spectacle as viewed from your sofa.

bry the guy

Stephen Paul

If VAR doesn't improve by the end of this season it should be scrapped completely   

gavin

There's a lot of games becoming a circus these days. Do they want the entertainment of football or chaos?

reddishblue

Some refs like seeing themselves on the telly rather than paying attention. VAR gives them even more of an excuse to fuck up.

Stephen Paul

VAR is corrupt

popular teams are getting the decisions and City are not one of those popular teams

gavin

Palace goal ruled out against Scousers. Fucking typical.

KunDB

VAR is shit and as Gavin says ruining football. I now agree get shot of it.

gavin

Another last minute goal disallowed for us. Even the most level headed must be starting to question it.

gavin

They might as well have us start matches at 1-0 down and Liverpool start at 1-0 up. Liverpool get a two goal advantage when we meet. At least that makes the rules of VAR clear before we start.

Swiss

They need to scrap the "clear and obvious error". We need to get over panning a ref for making a wrong decision. If they've made a wrong decision, VAR corrects it, no one vilifies the ref.  We move on with our life.

Paddy

Var needs to be updated, and soon, to have any credubility

Paddy

Big bucks, it had to happen. Farce

KunDB

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/ifab-no-current-talks-to-change-offside-law/ar-BBYu6ky?ocid=spartandhp

Lawmakers believe VAR should not be "too forensic" over offside decisions - and should only be used to overturn 'clear and obvious' mistakes.

So who in the PL made the decision to turn VAR into forensic evidence to rule out perfectly good goals for mm decisions?

Mike Riley and his motley crew is my best bet.

Neil Mcnab

Quote from: Gareth on November 05, 2019, 19:50:12
I think VAR is designed for the entertainment of the television audience; not with the fans at the game in mind, or even whether referees' in-game decisions are right or wrong. It's all part of the spectacle as viewed from your sofa.
I had not really thought of this, but really rings true. It does not look like it is going away. If something is "clear and obvious" why does it take so long to make a decision. 

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Villa just had one dissalowrd for offside. Showed the replay with the lines and it was no clearer, so I've no idea what else they are going off.

Gareth

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on January 01, 2020, 12:53:54
I had not really thought of this, but really rings true. It does not look like it is going away. If something is "clear and obvious" why does it take so long to make a decision.

Coming soon to a screen near you - ad breaks during VAR reviews...