News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

UEFA

Started by The Blue Blooded Maniac, February 14, 2020, 18:45:16

Previous topic - Next topic

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Manchester City BANNED from the Champions League

UEFA have announced that Manchester City have been banned from the Champions League for the next two seasons.

They have also been fined â,¬30 million due to ‘committing serious breaches of UEFA Licensing and Financial Fair Play regulations by overstating their sponsorship revenue in their accounts’.

The decision was made by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the Club Financial Control Body, who have also accused the club of failing to co-operate with the investigation.

City have the right to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Hesperus

Hopefully CAS rule in our favour. 2 seasons is very harsh.

Let’s hope our owners spend billions into setting up a rival to UEFA and end the corrupt bastards once and for all.

KunDB

This is a concerted attempt by UEFA to ruin City and protect their status quo.

City need to unload full blast and take them to the European Courts. This is a breach of competition rules.

Hesperus

If this is upheld it will have huge implications for the club. I’m pretty stunned by it.

lee

Take these bastards to the cleaners

Cant wait for our chumps league match now

KunDB

Quote from: Hesperus on February 14, 2020, 19:39:04
If this is upheld it will have huge implications for the club. I’m pretty stunned by it.

Thats what UEFA intend, huge damage to City.

2 years lost CL revenues. Top players spurning City as no CL. Current top players maybe leaving or not renewing contracts. Pep might leave at end of contract now. FFP restricting City from fighting back to CL standard due to lack of revenues to buy and pay top players. Reduced sponsorship revenues.

This is a massive financial attack on City by the corrupt football establishment, who will be celebrating it tonight.

gavin

There's a long way to go here. The most noticeable part of City's statement to me is that they will "in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

If CAS don't sort this then it looks like there will be real court action and rightly so.

Stephen Paul

We will end up stronger

Fuck Uefa

Paddy

If we lose the appeal we could face action by the premier league  resulting in a points deduction and relegation

Rowley Birkin QC

I really couldn't give a shit.

goat

so thats just two extra years we wont be winning champs league

Rowley Birkin QC

Okay... I'll expand on the above... 

It would seem, on the face of it, that we have been caught 'breaking' the (sponsorship) rules - as conjured up by those fine and honest fellows at UEFA.

Unless City have some hard evidence that contradicts the hacked emails (and if they have, why haven't they already presented it to the 'investigation'?) - then I can't see the Arbitration of Sport lot finding in our favour, aside from possibly reducing the severity of the penalty.

The FFP rules were deliberately set up to trap us, in my opinion - following the Arab take over, and once the old cartel of 'elite' European clubs realised they were under threat. Even though, of course the big Spanish and French clubs, and just about every Italian club had been finding back-door ways of funding themselves for decades. Well, it's worked. Sadly, thanks to some indiscrete emails and poor IT security at City, UEFA have succeeded in nobbling us. And worse still, a Premiership points reduction now looms...

With some critical players coming to the end of their careers (Aguero and Silva) this couldn't have happened at a worst time. We may well struggle to attract the top class players for a while now. Same scenario might apply to whoever comes after Pep. The next two to three years could be difficult. The club will have to be resourceful to minimise the damage and at least keep us competitive - ready for when we come out the other side.

The game is now quite bent in my opinion. But like I said, I genuinely don't give a shit. CTID. They will never take the Aguero moment from us - or the 6 - 1 at the Swamp. Fuck 'em.

lee

Fookin shite that champions league..Lets win the prem next season :)

Hesperus

https://apple.news/AQMyHPGQoRTqRayFrrHnZ3w

Not a good read in the independent on what we’ve allegedly been up to.

KunDB

Quote from: Hesperus on February 15, 2020, 15:16:53
https://apple.news/AQMyHPGQoRTqRayFrrHnZ3w

Not a good read in the independent on what we’ve allegedly been up to.

Yes but it reads in parts as a straight feed from UEFA*. As said in the article the battle may be lost but the war has begun hopefully.

1  The basic point is that FFP is unfair and a clear restriction of trade that would not be tolerated in any other business and I expect the courts would rule anticompetitive.

2  The current point of City circumventing FFP rules and withholding information from UEFA, I would like to see more constructive engagement from City to prove the CFO emails were not what has been cited and to disprove the substantive argument of UEFA i.e. Sheikh Mansour and ADUG sponsoring City directly rather than Etihad Airline. It is not enough to say the information was illegally obtained by a hacker, when UEFA has followed up and found that very same information and City provided insufficient evidence to disprove it and not been provided with it. Stop focussing the defence primarily on process breaches, support it with a defence of some substance. Apologise for the insult to a deceased person.

If the former is correct the latter is irrelevant naturally. However, they will be adjudicated the other way round i.e. if City fail at CAS on point 1 then they will refer it to the courts for adjudication on point 2.

The battle lines are drawn and UEFA may be confident of point one but they should be fearful of point 2 in my opinion.

*"No room for compromise there. There was worse to come. One of the focuses of City’s anger is the investigatory chamber (IC), the body that looks into breaches of the financial rules. When Cliff’s reaction to the death of Jean-Luc Dehaene, a former chair of the IC, was made public, shock waves went through Nyon: “1 down, 6 to go,” the lawyer wrote. It sent a chill down the spines of the members of the committee. No one likes to hear anyone is wishing them dead." and

*"Uefa became convinced that City were bent on destroying the organisation and that the resources and power of Abu Dhabi would be employed to that end. The war was on."

Rowley Birkin QC

I have to say, I think City have been naive about all this. Should have covered our backsides more.

gavin

Where is the architect of FFP now? Banned from football for corruption. Oh the irony.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: gavin on February 15, 2020, 21:25:13
Where is the architect of FFP now? Banned from football for corruption. Oh the irony.

Indeed. The whole thing has been a set up from start to finish.

Hesperus

FFP was a stitch up from the start, what’s wrong with investing your own money in your own business?

But it is what it is.... and if we have flouted the rules,, we’ll, we’re in trouble and there’s probably not a lot we can do about it.   I hope we haven’t, but I think it’s probably naive to think we’re entirely innocent, but then who is?