News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

City v Liverpool

Started by 93:2012, March 01, 2015, 11:15:17

Previous topic - Next topic

93:2012

Hart, Zabaleta, Mangala, Kompany, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Silva, Nasri, Dzeko, Aguero.

Nearly the 11 ideally that should have started against Barcelona. Obviously Yaya could not start then and Clichy cannot start today.

What goes on in Pelle's mind?

Caballero, Demichelis, Clichy, Lampard, Bony, Milner, Fernando

Ludo

I suppose we can only be thankful he left Fernando on the bench.

Zabba

Yes  thank God for that Ludo, however 4 5 1 would be a lot better. Pelle never learns his lessons so we are gambling once again.

Ludo

It does seem to be a bit of an attacking line up, I'm fearful we'll get caught on the break a bit too often.

gavin

Never mind that, we can outscore the scousers. Get at the bastards and tear them apart. If we play at our near our best we will beat them.

Rowley Birkin QC

Yes - slightly surprised we've gone with two strikers - but as Gavin says, bring it on!

guidebridgeblue

Zabba

All out attack = open at back.

guidebridgeblue

Rowley Birkin QC

Fucking shit defending again. And we're being caught on the ball too much. We're not moving the ball quick enough.

Lekos

Zabba

This is ridiculous we are playing like a pub team on a Sunday after a night out.

Ludo

Vinny's getting more on a liability with each game.

Rowley Birkin QC

Even Zaba isn't covering himself in glory at the moment. Been pretty ordinary recently. Partially at fault for the goal.

Zabba

We are City
We play 4 4 2
No matter who are you
Home and away
4 4 2 Every day

It is so naïve and so disrespectful to good opposition but worst of all it just does not work and we pay the price over and over again.

Rowley Birkin QC

Not dealing with Liverpool's pace at all here!

Zabba

Brillant goal great pass David AGUERO!

Lekos

Class goal. What a pass.

Rowley Birkin QC

Better! 1-1

Still look dreadful at the back though.

Zabba

How come Silva can be chopped down time and time again and no bookings while Eden Hazard only has to be looked at sidewards and the ref gets the cards out. I would like referees to explain this difference of approach.

Rowley Birkin QC

Right now - I'm borderline getting Kompany off for Demi 

Rowley Birkin QC

Finally he makes a tackle!

gavin

The defence is an absolute shambles. Pellegrini must go. He simply cannot sort it out. City the better team but just look like conceding every time Liverpool attack.

Zabba

Our defence is shockingly bad and having our left or right back in their half of the field most of the time leaves us badly exposed to quick breakaways.

Zabba

Quote from: gavin on March 01, 2015, 12:48:22
The defence is an absolute shambles. Pellegrini must go. He simply cannot sort it out. City the better team but just look like conceding every time Liverpool attack.

I hate admitting it butI am losing faith in Pellegrini to set up the defence, and team, properly for key matches.

Tricky Trev

Welcome aboard the gtfo Pellegrini.

Rowley Birkin QC

If we're looking for positive stuff, Silva and Aguero have been magnificent, while Yaya, Fernandinho and Zabaleta (going forward at least) have kept us playing and in the picture.

I'd like to see Nasri sharpen up and select his passes a bit quicker. 

Stephen Paul

Nasri just isn't doing it for me

Swiss

These chipped long balls are doing my swede in!

Zabba

Shit free kick Silva. What we expect these days from set pieces.

goat

good news, fernando coming on

Zabba

Outplayed by a team barely of the plane and still looking fresher than us. Time right for Pelle to stand down.

Lekos

We'll that's been coming. Was about to say, if any team looks like they played 120 minutes in Turkey on Thursday it's City.

We've been second best for the vast majority of the game.

Shite.

Rowley Birkin QC

All our play the few minutes up to that goal was awful. We dropped off them too much in our own half - too much space. You could see the goal coming.

I've said it before - we are a fucking lazy team.

Lekos

80th minute and we've had 1 shot on target

Zabba

Lazy and disorganised team, bad leadership by manager. PL over and top 4 finish could even get difficulty on this form.

gavin

Surely a decent manager would have done something about our lack of impact from dead balls.

Lekos

I'd say league may well be done, dropping out of the top four is pushing it a bit. Can't see that happening.

Rowley Birkin QC

Yaya was in good in the first half - very poor in the second.

Swiss

We've been worse since dzeko went off and we changed from 442 :-D

Zabba

Quote from: Zabba on March 01, 2015, 11:40:56
Yes  thank God for that Ludo, however 4 5 1 would be a lot better. Pelle never learns his lessons so we are gambling once again.

I said before Barca and today 4 5 1 a must and Pelle either is thick or feels compelled to play 4 4 2. Either way it is unbelievably naïve, stupid and suicidal.

I hope Pelle falls on his sword because I see no improvement if he stays.

Swiss

When we went to 451 we were even worse!

Rowley Birkin QC

Zabba

Quote from: Swiss on March 01, 2015, 13:49:35

After the horse has bolted and game lost. We were abysmal all second half.

Zabba

Or put another way when the game has got away from you, you do not want it enough, your tempo is shite and you are disorganised and disjointed any change of formation will make no difference.

bluebrendan

WTF was Pellegrini's HT talk about? We were diabolical in the 2nd half, no shape and no energy. Nasri could have been subbed at any time, he made no attacking contribution and failed to close down Coutinho for the 2nd. At the back Zab and Kompany were all over the place in the first half though Zab improved after the interval. Yaya seemed to go to sleep in the 2nd half after an influential first half.

Tricky Trev

And there goes the season, good job !

Rowley Birkin QC

Well, barring a considerable miracle, that is probably the Championship gone. What a depressing performance!

Look how Liverpool pinged the ball around, quickly and accurately. How they worked for each other as a team. See how easily they picked out their players deep in our half with space and time to either run at us or decide just where they want to play the next pass. We were second best in all these areas. AND Liverpool showed twice - that they are better at shooting from range than we are.

What's happened to Yaya's runs? Why has Nasri started playing with all the confidence of a small boy again?

Swiss

Quote from: Zabba on March 01, 2015, 13:58:43
Or put another way when the game has got away from you, you do not want it enough, your tempo is shite and you are disorganised and disjointed any change of formation will make no difference.

I don't hold to that, City normally don't start playing til we're a goal or 2 down.

Quote from: Zabba on March 01, 2015, 13:54:25
Quote from: Swiss on March 01, 2015, 13:49:35

After the horse has bolted and game lost. We were abysmal all second half.

I thought we started the second half well but drastically tailed off. We bought on Jimmy to help wrestle control of the midfield only to stick him out wide and still suffer the same problems. He should have been stuck in the middle for his tenacity.

I was crying for players to bring the ball down and play to feet but we kept lobbing the ball forward aimlessly. Yaya looks as though he's been told to punt it over the top... or he just couldn't be bothered to run..

I thought Mangala played well though and that's the first time I've thought that.

Zabba

Saving themselves for return Barca game, these players are deluded as well as lazy.

Pelle is out of his depth, simple.

Zabba

Manga came out with credit.

zacc

so Chelsea will get their "moments" now and win PL. ::)
Why was Clattenberg constantly in the way?!
???

Rowley Birkin QC

Have to say I'm baffled by the tactics - as Brendan and Swiss highlight.

Pointless having two attacking mids on when only one of them is really contributing anything. Nasri should have been pulled early for the extra central midfielder.

And once we did opt for the extra midfielder, Milner is allowed to drift out wide time and time again.

bluebrendan

Quote from: Zabba on March 01, 2015, 14:11:26
Manga came out with credit.

Yes after a shaky start he did well, as did Kolarov, all the major problems came down our right.

Zabba

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on March 01, 2015, 14:16:17
Have to say I'm baffled by the tactics - as Brendan and Swiss highlight.

Pointless having two attacking mids on when only one of them is really contributing anything. Nasri should have been pulled early for the extra central midfielder.

And once we did opt for the extra midfielder, Milner is allowed to drift out wide time and time again.

So you admit Pelle failed to organise and motivate the players.

Rowley Birkin QC

Why would I have to "admit" to anything? Actually - don't bother... I can't be arsed responding to one of your WUM fishing exercises.

Mangala had to improve - seeing as Kompany was so bad. He did well. And Kolarov deserves some credit as Brendan says.

Lekos

Don't know why Citopest keeps mentioning the barca second leg and players "saving themselves" for it...It's 17 days away and we have two league games before it.

Zabba

Rowley I am not seeking to wind you or anyone up just calling it as I saw it. Pelle is one dimensional and failing, sadly. His tactics are all wrong and it shows in the players performance. It is not a case of me saying it after the game I clled it before. Pelle is not stupid why does he keep doing it.

Lekos if they are not saving themselves for Barca (they are like deluded fools) then explain that performance when the PL title was on the line.

Lekos

Poor management, poor motivating, poor individual performances.

Zabba

Quote from: Lekos on March 01, 2015, 14:40:27
Poor management, poor motivating, poor individual performances.

We can agree on that.

I have felt for ages all the eggs were being put in one basket i.e. going all out for the CL. I could be wrong but evidence of performances convince me I am not.

Hesperus

I think we'll stumble  through to the end of the season but will still finish in the top 4. The manager has had nearly 2 seasons to impose his style and philosophy on the team and in my opinion we have regressed significantly. I've made my mind up, I want him and Tixki out and a fresh start next season with someone who has a style of play for the modern game.

goat

what i dont get is what the fuck happened

the spanish were claiming the team will play 4-3-3 , not seen it once
pelle was meant to play a fast, high pressing game in spain, see it now and again
he was meant to have a few formations and tactics up his sleeve, nope

did the right bloke turn up?

Hesperus

Spot on.  The high pressing game we were all sold on has really never materialised. We gift teams possession, stand off and let them play. The best teams hunt in packs when they don't have the ball we just don't do that.  Zab was so exposed by Sterling today and the manager didn't even try to double up on him. It was embarrassing how naive we were in the second half.

Ludo

There's no problem playing 4-4-2 so long as you have the right personnel.Two pacey wingers, two disciplined central midfielders and a well organised back four.

We have none of the above.

What we do have have area couple of decent forwards, three number 10's and a few headless chickens.

goat

Quote from: Ludo on March 01, 2015, 15:54:03
There's no problem playing 4-4-2 so long as you have the right personnel..

and are still in the 1980s

with pretty much every top club playing with 5 in midfield these days we would be over run pretty quickly, especially if one of the 2 is fernando or yaya. there was a phase a year or so ago with everyone lining up in a similar way to barcelona, mancini copied it and won the league

still found out in europe tho

Ludo

Well it served the rags well for 25 years and they got two champs leagues out of it.

It's not solely about formation but the personnel and how disciplined they are using it.

goat

that would probably need another pile of cash thrown at the team, safe bet this midfield isnt that disciplined

saying that, if pelle told navas to run down blind alleys, fernando to take his time and yaya to jog around i wouldnt be too shocked

Ludo

Agreed. So it's obvious to all except Pellegrini that are current malaise is down to formation.

When we won the league with Mancini we played more 4-2-3-1 and we have arguably a squad more suited to that.

goat

im not a fan of that formation but it does give more options

if aguero is upfront have nasri and silva wider feeding the ball through, if bony is up can drop aguero deeper to run on to flicks, if dzeko is upfront we can all do something else

Neil Mcnab

Yaya is a liability, I dont believe he can do a full game. He was poor and it should have been at least 4-1 had Liverpool been more clinical, down to his poor play. If he is having such a bad game, he needs to be taken off. One or two good passes dont make up for gifting the ball to the opposition or leaving acres of space.
A central midfield player who is creative and can defend is the number one priority in the summer.

In my opinion the league and the chumps league have gone. Need to stick in the top four, cant even take that for granted.

As for the manager, who is the outstanding manager to replace him? Guardiola/Simeone? Either that or its a punt on an up and coming manager. If the very best arent available, is it worth binning him off.

goat

klopp plays the way we were meant to be under pelle, i dont think his season now has made him a bad manager overnight

Zabba

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on March 01, 2015, 16:43:29
Yaya is a liability, I dont believe he can do a full game. He was poor and it should have been at least 4-1 had Liverpool been more clinical, down to his poor play. If he is having such a bad game, he needs to be taken off. One or two good passes dont make up for gifting the ball to the opposition or leaving acres of space.
A central midfield player who is creative and can defend is the number one priority in the summer.

In my opinion the league and the chumps league have gone. Need to stick in the top four, cant even take that for granted.

As for the manager, who is the outstanding manager to replace him? Guardiola/Simeone? Either that or its a punt on an up and coming manager. If the very best arent available, is it worth binning him off.

Only 7 points clear of 5th place Liverpool who rolled over us today with ease.

Neil Mcnab

Would Klopp walk away? Or will he want to put them back to the top. Cant be easy having to sell your best players every year, mainly to your biggest rival.

Ludo

He'd find it fairly easy having to sell some of ours.

reddishblue

Quote from: Zabba on March 01, 2015, 17:24:56
Quote from: Neil Mcnab on March 01, 2015, 16:43:29

Only 7 points clear of 5th place Liverpool who rolled over us today with ease.

It really is hard to accept that. Not good enough.

goat

Quote from: Neil Mcnab on March 01, 2015, 18:37:28
Would Klopp walk away? Or will he want to put them back to the top. Cant be easy having to sell your best players every year, mainly to your biggest rival.

would he have the choice? the way chairman bin managers based on the last half hour might fuck him right up

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: goat on March 01, 2015, 15:39:03
what i dont get is what the fuck happened

the spanish were claiming the team will play 4-3-3 , not seen it once
pelle was meant to play a fast, high pressing game in spain, see it now and again
he was meant to have a few formations and tactics up his sleeve, nope

did the right bloke turn up?

Yes - I've been wondering where all that had got to - especially the "fast, high pressing game" we were consistently told about when Pellegrini's name first came up...

Quote from: Hesperus on March 01, 2015, 15:50:22
Spot on.  The high pressing game we were all sold on has really never materialised. We gift teams possession, stand off and let them play. The best teams hunt in packs when they don't have the ball we just don't do that.  Zab was so exposed by Sterling today and the manager didn't even try to double up on him. It was embarrassing how naive we were in the second half.

Spot on indeed. This is what I mean when I talk about us being a 'lazy' team. A bit of a generalisation I know, but too many of our players seem content to allow opponents space, to let them turn with ball, we don't rush them into making hasty passes. And it's just as bad when we have the ball. City players walking around (literally), just watching their team mate with the ball - expecting him to pull a rabbit out of the hat and do it all while they remain half interested spectators. On the Australian TV pre-match show even that numpty Bosnich managed to demonstrate how poor our movement off the ball is with a couple of video clips. Cringe worthy stuff. Even Mark Bosnich can spot what's wrong with us...

silvablue

We play as very talented individuals relying on moments of brilliance and have no real team ethos.

lee

silvablue

The tactics, performance of players and lack of commitment were embarrassing. I do not mind losing, it happens, but in this way!