News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pellegrini and the predictable press speculation

Started by Rowley Birkin QC, March 03, 2015, 11:30:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowley Birkin QC

The press are having a high old time with this.

As far as managers are concerned - The Guardian thinks we're getting Pep Guardia (18 months left on his current contract) and the Torygraph thinks it's Carlo Ancelotti (12 months left on his Madrid contract). Diego Simeone (more than 2 years left on his...) and Patrick Vieira (available!) have been mentioned, and some joker has thrown Rafa Benitez's name into the pot. Pellers has 12 games to save his City career, according to the media scribblers and fortune tellers.

All speculation, well short on anything resembling 'evidence'. However, I think we have to acknowledge that even if Pellegrini manages to rescue something from this season, chances are he won't be around next season. Not when you consider how frequently the big clubs these days 'refresh' their managers - even the successful ones. Few seem to stay at a club much more than four years and it's often less. If City get a whiff of a chance of getting Guardia in - there's no doubt in my mind they will pull out all the stops to get him, irrespective of anything Pellegrini manages to achieve between now and the end of the season. 

Lekos

I think Pellegrini's time at City is up to be honest, barring an extraordinary (based on our current form) end to the season. 

Ancelotti has been rumored to be leaving Madrid in the summer for a good few months now, and seems the most likely replacement - one I'd be happy with.  Can't see Pep coming to City at the moment, though would be delighted if he did.  The less said about Rafa the better.  I heard he's off to QPR in the summer anyway, though that might depend on their league status.

clevblue

Theteam aren't pulling out all the stops for Pelle are they? It's a shame really, I'd like to see City with a strong, long-term manager but he may be slipping up, we'll see, too early to speculate really.

goat

yet klopp wasnt mentioned, seems simeone is this years klopp

Zabba

Press speculation inevitable as it does sell papers and generate advertising revenues.

Pelle is a tinkerman like Rafa and rapidly repeating his failings and lack of success.

I have long thought that we need a big name manager to sort out this team. Players have far to inflated opinions of how good they are and to much influence.

A big name manager (not coach like Pelle) would I hope result in a player clear out and hopeful stop the interference of the Barca buffoons picking team and tactics.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: goat on March 03, 2015, 11:50:49
yet klopp wasnt mentioned, seems simeone is this years klopp

Seems that way doesn't it. The media thinks Simeone is the next anointed one.

I had forgotten (until reading a bit about him just now) that he's been at Atletico since the end of 2011 - and his current contract takes him to June 2017!

Rowley Birkin QC

Hmmm - Klopp has been at Dortmund since 2008 and his current contract takes him to June 2018!

My theory that managers don't stick around much longer than 4 years is starting to look a little shaky  :D

goat

lets throw a few more fancy names in the media ring of shit

frank de boer, having a mare this year but won the league in his first 3 or 4 seasons
mourinho, usually gets mentioned for no reason on here
laurent blanc, no idea if zlatan likes him or not and he runs the team
brian horton, unfinished business

goat

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on March 03, 2015, 12:24:27
Hmmm - Klopp has been at Dortmund since 2008 and his current contract takes him to June 2018!

My theory that managers don't stick around much longer than 4 years is starting to look a little shaky  :D

dont forget alan "8 year deal" pardew

Ludo

Given our current form, or lack of it, it's inevitable.

I don't think even a win against Barca will save him as he'll be judged at every round thereafter. I imagine the next appointment will be someone with a proven European track record; Ancelotti, Guardiola, Benitez or Del Bosque all spring to mindd.

Rowley Birkin QC

goat

this is city remember, id bet on someone that took a shit team to uefa cup places in spain that will be cheaper to sack

Rowley Birkin QC

Brain Horton would be very cheap to sack I would imagine?

Your shout for Laurent Blanc is an interesting one. I keep forgetting about him. Had a good managerial career, but I suppose he needs to prove himself outside of France. Current contract takes him to 2016 with PSG so he could be in the frame for the City job come the summer.

Ex rag though - so might upset Gavin  :D

goat

hughes got away with it  :D

do french managers travel well tho?

deschamps was the best manager since sliced chips a few years back, not heard much since
paul le guen won 50 league titles in a row or some shit with lyon and managed to bollocks up rangers
arse wenger did ok before turning into professor yaffle and commenting  more on city more than all the city forums put together

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: Ludo on March 03, 2015, 12:27:02
...Del Bosque

Hardly mentioned these days after Spain's disastrous World Cup. And I think he's on record as saying he wants to stay as the national coach until after the Euros? Might be seen (rightly or wrongly) as a bit too old now. Isn't he 65 or something?

goat

and ex madrid, nothing good ever comes from madrid for city

robinho
mcpointytwat
and the bloke this thread is about

although i like him

pelle

goat

whats the state of ex city as managers these days, went a bit wrong for uwe at wigan and stevie lomas was around somewhere

age hariede doing well, want him?

Rowley Birkin QC

I realise you're joking, but if we want an ex-City player the only realistic option would be Vieira and that would of course be a huge leap of faith. Not going to happen is it? In fact, come to think of it, has Vieira ever expressed any serious interest in top flight football management?

If he has, then it's perhaps time he was moved closer to the action. Maybe give him Brian Kidd's seat on the front bench for starters? (Nothing against Kidd - but it might be time for him to call it a day soon, and while I'm sure all the players respect mild-mannered Brian I reckon Vieira's presence in the dressing room might gee a few of them up a bit). 

goat

was actually curious about the ex city out there and age didnt do too much worse in the champs league

Lekos

Can only presume Blanc is a joke suggestion...there's only one team in Ligue 1 and they're second at the moment.