News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pep and Khaldoon?

Started by Hesperus, July 19, 2020, 10:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

First of all, I love Pep, best manager and football I’ve ever seen in 40 plus years of watching City.

However, since it became clear late last year that something wasn’t right and we weren’t going to challenge Liverpool for the title.  I’ve been thinking that Khaldoon and the rest of the board have a big problem.  We clearly need huge investment in this squad. It’s been allowed to slowly weaken over the years but would the board want to provide £100-150 million to a manager that’s gone in 12 months? When a new manager would then have to come in and want big money for his own players?

Personally, I really hope Pep commits, but I’m unsure he will, and if he doesn’t, then we’ll see what Khaldoon is made of. His choices are, give Pep a load of money knowing he’ll be gone in 12 months. Give Pep limited funds and allow us to stagnate for another season or sack him now and bring another manager in with funds to rebuild the squad.

Taking my loyalty head off, Pep needs to commit soon or he’s got to go.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

The club has a philosophy to play attractive attacking football. That's been ingrained into the club from top to bottom.

It doesn't matter who the manager is, the philosophy stays the same, and whatever players get brought in will be decided by the club, for the good of the club, long term.

When Pep does eventually leave, another manager will be brought in with the same mind set as the club. The players will already be in place to hopefully just carry on as is (obviously alot easier in principle than practice).

KunDB

Spot on TBBM.

There is a philosophy and culture of passing attacking intelligent football ingrained in the club at all levels now. Pep or no Pep the needed investment, within FFP limits, will be made.

We all know, and have done for a year, what needs done in the transfer market. Defence the priority area.

A striker who can win balls in the opponent’s box would do no harm as a plan B option. But somehow I feel that’s not Pep. His philosophy is keep trying to find solutions and never give up.

I doubt Pep will be here after next season even if a new contract (PR job) is announced as signed during the summer.

Swiss

I hope Pep stays for another 4 years at least. Legend!

gavin

To start talking of getting rid of Pep, you have to indicate who we could get who would be better both in the short and the long term. It would be very short sighted to get rid of one of the most successful managers in the history of football without having some in whom you have absolute faith lined up,

In my opinion, we have to back Pep and hope that he decides to stay. No manager wins all of the trophies all of the time. Pep has probably come closest! I don't think there is anyone out there that I could have more faith in to deliver top football and trophies,

Hesperus

I echo all the statements about Pep and also hope he stops for another 4 years but what if he doesn’t want too?

Do you think Khaldoon will back him big in transfer market knowing he’s off in a year? In that scenario, I don’t think he will.

gavin

I think Khaldoon will. I reckon he has ultimate faith in Pep. Even if he goes he could sign good players that we can sell on if the new manager doesn't want them. I reckon we were running players past Pep while Manuel was still manager.

Sometimes you have to take a gamble. Pep is a manager worth gambling on both in trophies and his judgement on good footballers.

Swiss

I dont think Pep has a huge say in transfers, sure consulted, but this is what Txiki is in charge of no?

The days of City being an English club where the manager runs everything is gone, and probably for the best.

Hesperus

Quote from: Swiss on July 21, 2020, 00:14:38
I dont think Pep has a huge say in transfers, sure consulted, but this is what Txiki is in charge of no?

The days of City being an English club where the manager runs everything is gone, and probably for the best.

I disagree with you there, I think Pep has a major role in transfers. Pellegrini more than likely didn’t, and possibly future managers may not have as much say as Pep, but given what we know about Pep and they way he controls every aspect of the squads preparation, style of play, coaching etc. It’s hard to believe he wouldn’t have a major role in who he wants to play in his system.

Swiss

Barcelona, Bayern and city all operate with a sporting director who's job it is to source transfers. 

They must keep the vision of the club even where managers change.

I'm not saying pep isn't involved, but hes the head coach.

This structure differs to the normal British structure of the manager doing both jobs.

gavin

It depends on what you mean as a major role. I don't think that he gets involved much beyond identifying and approving players. But I very much doubt that we would sign a player for the first team without him identifying or approving him. I strongly suspect he was involved in approving players before he was manager.

Neil Mcnab

The rumours are he signs an extension for 12 months, then gone. After that it would be no surprise to get another Spanish speaking manager, since Burger stain and Ferrous arent moving on.

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: gavin on July 19, 2020, 21:17:16
I reckon we were running players past Pep while Manuel was still manager.

Indeed, I recall there was a fair bit of anecdotal evidence that was going on.

It does all seem to hang on Pep doesn't it? Will he stay or will he go?  Working relations within the club seem fine on the outside, but I do wonder all the time what Pep's true feelings are. He's such an enigmatic man! I am in the "manager does have a big say in transfers" camp, but the final decisions always rest with the money people these days, and I can't help thinking Pep may still feel aggrieved that the board didn't back him enough, with better defensive options at the end of last season.

Our owners do seem determined to run City efficiently in the long term, and whatever other fans or the stupid UK football media think, we won't be given unlimited stacks of cash to buy players - or be taken for a ride by greedy selling clubs. That's as it should be. But needless to say, our relatively inactivity at the end of last season was a bit of a puzzle, and maybe Pep was puzzled too?

In the end, perhaps it was all about holding back financially: with one wary eye on the FFP outcomes, and the other on the looming need to spend very big on a top class striker?

gavin

It has been apparent in the latest of Pep's pre match press conferences that he feels closer to the club and staff than ever. His comments of this player will be a big player for 'this club' for years to come have now morphed into not 'this club' but 'us'. He has spoken very passionately about the club in recent weeks. But I don't think he wants to commit himself for much longer, there are other factors than work in everyone's life. Also, if he does win the Champions League then he might not feel the hunger any more. He has always been very clear that if he doesn't feel the hunger then he will leave. He has been here a good while. He owes us nothing and we owe him all our support whatever he does. He has produced, without doubt, one of the best teams in English football history for us.