News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Why do we have an academy ?

Started by Paddy, August 25, 2020, 03:40:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

When we rarely use it. What is the purpose...Beats me. Top players cost to much or we are held to ransom. I am a gardener and grow my own, why cannot we ?...

Stephen Paul

Foden , Doyle

under 18s Regional Champions

Kilkenny Blue

The academy is a big money earner.  Whilst a lot of the players mightn't make the grade for the senior team they get snapped up by other clubs.

gavin

It earns us cash and throws up the odd player for the first team. It is not easy to continually produce world class players. Very few academies do produce large numbers for the first team of their club regularly. There has been the odd occasion where years have produced half a team and we've seen this at City with Redmond, Lake, Hinchcliffe, Brightwell, White, Moulden. The last FA Youth Cup winning side in 2008 also produced a long list of players who have played at the top levels of the game but City obviously had higher standards at that stage than in the mid eighties.

Stephen Paul

Had a chat with Jim Cassell a few years back and he told me when he was running the academy at Maine Road he work out of a tin shed with no toilets

he was responsible for scouting SWP who made City a fortune