News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

SHITE

Started by Paddy, August 15, 2020, 22:00:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

Poor managerial selection, players made to play out of position, piss poor passing, to much respect for opposition. Not a snowball in hells chance. Mainly Peps fault for team selection. Now hopefully we can rebuild for the coming season etc.....

gavin

On another day with different luck and officials we could have won that game. I'm not saying we played well but I think shite is a bit strong.

Paddy

Gavin, Pep got the selection wrong, to defensive, we are an attacking team and i didn't see an attacking team, i saw uncertainty, poor passing and players playing out of position and the eventual result...We got what we deserved...

Swiss

Which playersnplayed out of position?

I agree too defensive but can only see KDB out of position. Can't claim Fernandinho as he played there all season.

The idea of the formation is something like:

When defending
                              Ederson
Walker, Fernandinho, garcia, Laporte, Cancelo.
                    Gundog,  Rodriguez
                   Sterling, Jesus, KDB

When attacking
                              Ederson
                     Garcia, Laporte
                          Fernadinho
                     Gundog, Rodri,
            Sterling                KDB
Walker                  Jesus         Cancelo

The wing backs push high up the pitch, one of the CB's to push into midfield, drawing the opposition players into strange positions.

The players just didn't execute it well enough.

And for me, I dont like it when Rodri and Gundog play together.

Paddy

Our main player, we are agreed KDB. He is a playmaker and u have to play him in that position unless David Silver is on the field. Played to far forward tonight...

Paddy

Swiss, we should have been attacking, that is what we do...

Hesperus

Quote from: Swiss on August 15, 2020, 22:19:32

And for me, I dont like it when Rodri and Gundog play together.

Amen to that.

Rowley Birkin QC

Amen indeed. And for me the Rodri / Gundog combination only serves to emphasise Fernandinho's absence from the centre of our midfield. 

Swiss

I like Rodri, I think he can be the successor to Fernandinho.

The famous 'pivot' position. Blue does need to up his aggression levels slightly though.

We need to employ some European tactics, we never seem to get in the refs ear well. At times, we could have milked some of the tackles
And whilst that won't sit well with most, we do lose out to these European refs that buy it.

Hesperus

I’ll give Rodri till Xmas but so far my opinion is he’s a been a poor buy. A big transfer fee but Just not mobile enough.

So far he’s no substitute for Fernandinho.

goat

Fair few of peps signings have come good in the second season

Swiss

I think he's been good for us. 

When he plays with

Rodri
        KDB      Foden
Mahrez               Sterling
                Jesus

The team looks much more balanced and solid.

He has the highest pass completion record for our midfielders. Only bested by John Stones and Eric Garcia in the whole team.

At 6'2 he's one of the only members in our team who is aerially dominant.

Hes scored 3 goals and 2 assists, which for his position is pretty decent return.

I think hes important to how our best position plays.

goat

He's definitely an either or with gundo, lack of pace is a killer with them

KunDB

The formation last night was dictated by the serious lack of trust in our defence. Pep needs to build a solid dependable defence up there with the very best and then all the beautiful football can flow to trophies.

He has for too long treated defence as an add on leaving us exposed in crucial games particularly key CL games.

Peps reputation is rightly taking a hit now. He needs to learn and adjust if we are to win the PL/CL next season.

Buy wisely buy top class defenders and a strong on field leader.

lee

My 2 cents worth

Gundo!!

Thought we played well and a tad unlucky..Would like to have seen Dave on on much sooner..Oh well shit comp

Swiss

Lee, does that mean you prefer gundog?

lee

Quote from: Swiss on August 16, 2020, 19:18:19
Lee, does that mean you prefer gundog?

No Tony..i dont rate him.Slows down play and loves the sideways pass crab style

Swiss

Pep loves him though.

Wqs chatting to a few villa fan friends, was asking their opinion on Douglas Luiz.

Said pre-lock down they didn't really know what he was. Seemed a jack of all, master of none.

Post lock down, he slotted i as a DM and looked 'really good there. Could be why we're interested, Fernandinho replacement.  One Brazilian for another.

lee

Read today we might want him back from Villa!!

bluebrendan

When Gundogan sits deep we're in trouble, especially as Fernandinho is past his best. Gundo can't do the defensive side very well and also slows down the attacking movement where Fernandinho would drive forward more.

Pep's tactics in the later stages of the CL suggest he's got a bit of a complex about it now. Given the opposition (7th in Ligue Un) could you see him using those tactics against a similar quality of PL opponent?

goat

bring back de jong

reddishblue

Swiss

He was probably looking at trying to counter the threat out wide.

But hopefully he'll grow from this, as will the squad.

silvablue

Pep’s hand was forced by an unreliable defence. Saying that he still got his tactics badly wrong (just like he did against Spurs last year).

Swiss

Quote from: goat on August 18, 2020, 13:56:56
bring back de jong

We've got a decent youngster who's been out in the never never lands with PSV's b-team.

OK, not the most prestigious league to be in, even for a youngster, but he definitely fits the Fernandinho mould.