News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Offside Rule

Started by silvablue, March 25, 2021, 14:05:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we keep it as it is?

Yes
1 (16.7%)
No, amend it to be more favourable to attacking players
5 (83.3%)
No, scrap it
0 (0%)
Dont Know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 04, 2021, 15:05:27

silvablue

Story Link   

Marco Van Basten thinks the off side rule should be scrapped, many others think it needs amended seriously especially the VAR laser like precision application.

I think it should only apply from the edge of the goal box, not the halfway line.

Experimental matches would help us determine the best option.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Getting rid of it or moving it to the penalty box would change the game too much. The reason VAR was brought in was to help the linesmen be more accurate. It hasn't worked so I think if we just sack off VAR all together then we will have a bit more sympathy for the linesmen who can judge it in real time. If they get it wrong then I'd be more forgiving than if they get it wrong with the sham that is VAR.

Gareth

Quote from: The Blue Blooded Maniac on March 25, 2021, 16:51:29
Getting rid of it or moving it to the penalty box would change the game too much. The reason VAR was brought in was to help the linesmen be more accurate. It hasn't worked so I think if we just sack off VAR all together then we will have a bit more sympathy for the linesmen who can judge it in real time. If they get it wrong then I'd be more forgiving than if they get it wrong with the sham that is VAR.

Yeah, I kinda agree with this. But the role of TV, like say MOTD, is important. Before VAR, they would examine offside decisions made by linos and tell us, after the fact, the lino got it right/wrong. Then we got VAR, and now MOTD spend ages analysing VAR offside decisions and telling is if VAR got it right/wrong. If we sack off VAR (which personally I would support), won't we just go back to TV making after the fact judgements on linos? And that will make linos look  crap again, and we will want VAR back! Somehow, TV coverage of marginal decisions has to become more resposible...

KunDB

The offside rule compresses the game. Good and bad at times. I would definitely change it and get rid of the VAR pretence toenail offside measurements binned. No video based system can be anywhere near that precise.

gavin

VAR should go but if it stays or goes then the rule needs to be changed to clearly gaining an advantage by being offside. It is the worst it has ever been at the moment as goals are being denied where no real advantage has been gained. If you are arguably 'offside' by the width of a hair then you ain't offside for me. If it can't be seen clearly with the eye then it is onside.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Quote from: Gareth on March 25, 2021, 17:22:23
Yeah, I kinda agree with this. But the role of TV, like say MOTD, is important. Before VAR, they would examine offside decisions made by linos and tell us, after the fact, the lino got it right/wrong. Then we got VAR, and now MOTD spend ages analysing VAR offside decisions and telling is if VAR got it right/wrong. If we sack off VAR (which personally I would support), won't we just go back to TV making after the fact judgements on linos? And that will make linos look  crap again, and we will want VAR back! Somehow, TV coverage of marginal decisions has to become more resposible...

It would certainly help if the FA were more transparent (ha!) and have the officials explain their decisions after the match. People will probably still disagree with it but atleast it gives them a chance to explain themselves and shows that they are human. It would also be refreshing if, say there was a decision that they may have got wrong. They could say, well at the time, the speed and from my perspective this happened, but having looked at slow mo replays I may have have been mistaken. I'd much prefer that then us never getting any reasoning behind anything. I'd understand that the FA would have to bring in a new rule to say that, yes the referee will explain his decisions after the match, but if he says that he got it wrong it cannot be over turned and what happens during the match is final (unless in certain circumstances like mistaken identity).

Easy really init!

Gareth

Quote from: The Blue Blooded Maniac on March 25, 2021, 22:24:45
It would certainly help if the FA were more transparent (ha!) and have the officials explain their decisions after the match. People will probably still disagree with it but atleast it gives them a chance to explain themselves and shows that they are human. It would also be refreshing if, say there was a decision that they may have got wrong. They could say, well at the time, the speed and from my perspective this happened, but having looked at slow mo replays I may have have been mistaken. I'd much prefer that then us never getting any reasoning behind anything. I'd understand that the FA would have to bring in a new rule to say that, yes the referee will explain his decisions after the match, but if he says that he got it wrong it cannot be over turned and what happens during the match is final (unless in certain circumstances like mistaken identity).

Easy really init!

A lot of good sense in that...

gavin

Yep, the ref's conversations with the VAR official should be broadcast like with rugby if they do insist on continuing it. I'd just get rid personally. It has been a disaster.

Paddy

Yeh, scrap it. Harry Kane could become another Jimmy Greaves.!!!.....