News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Pep leaving in 2023 (allegedly)

Started by gavin, August 25, 2021, 20:56:50

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Pep has been quoted as saying he is leaving in 2023 because he needs a break.

Quote“After seven years at Manchester City, I think I'll have a break, stop for a while, see what we've done, review inspirations â€" and, in this process, I'd like to coach a national team, South America, European, play a Copa America, I want this experience.”

https://theathletic.com/news/pep-guardiola-says-he-will-leave-city-in-2023-and-have-a-break/LLl9oNvPFR61

I'm sure that he'll get questioned about this in Friday's press conference and clarify hopefully.

Hesperus

7 years! Never thought he’d stop this long tbh, 7 years if pretty amazing really. So, two more seasons of Pep then!

Hopefully the powers that be are handling the process of finding a Pep replacement better than finding us a replacement striker.

Neil Mcnab

7 years is a very long time for any manager to stay.

KunDB

Lucky to have Pep 7 years, makes the parting much harder.

That said, IMHO it was a clear statement by Pep of his discontent at the failure (yet again) to get a key player Pep had sought. As it was made soon after the Harry Kane statement.

Stephen Paul

gavin

I'm sure that Pep understands the realities of football transfers and wouldn't throw his toys out of the pram like that. Indeed, he has already stated that he is more than happy with the squad as is. Hopefully, he will say that he is still considering in his press conference tomorrow. Thus far it has only been a quote from a foreign language interview which could easily be misinterpreted. If he goes then I'll take his reasons at face value.

Gareth

Yep, a Pep temper tantrum does seem a bit out of character. And if Kane was that important to his team plans, surely saying in private “give Levy whatever he wants or I walk” might've been more effective. But that doesn’t sound much like Pep’s style to me either.

gavin

Pep says that he only said that he will take a break when he leaves City but there is no specific date for him to leave. He was very happy to clarify that he has no intent to leave City at this time or in two years at this moment.