News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Brexit going well

Started by Stephen Paul, August 24, 2021, 21:00:21

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin

Supplying water is all about money. Droughts and rivers full of shit come for free.

reddishblue

It would appear that nationalised utility companies in Europe are major share holders within out privatised utility companies and have subsidised their customers bills by profiting from ours.

SHIT

KunDB

Not much of a fan of privatisation off any strategic assets such as water, electricity railways, etc. but done properly it can be made to work to some extent.

The trouble is it wasn't done properly, insufficient regulation & controls to prevent exploitation of the monopoly position they offer private companies. So this profiteering in mega excess is hardly a surprise.

As well as foreign investors benefiting extravagantly, I can't help suspect that millionaire/billionaire cabinet and ruling Conservative ministers & MPs might just be sharing some of these extraordinary windfall profits, from mis-regulation, themselves conveniently through back door channels not transparent to us members of the public.   

No evidence to support that suspicion mind just my hyper sceptical brain in overdrive.

gavin

Water, electricity and railways should never have been privatised. I was never a fan of privatisation but in industries where there is no real competition it is a particular problem. If you want to change your water company, you can't unless you move house. Your trains are run by a single franchise holder for the line in most cases. For the market to have any impact there has to be a market. The regulators have been far too friendly to the companies. The companies have been allowed to take massive profits without investing enough in infrastructure and we are left in a right mess in all three industries. The Tories should be ashamed of it but rest assured that they will wave a small tax cut at the electorate and we will be left with more of the same shit. Companies allowed to profit for pumping shit into the rivers and the poor made to pay for decades for the new debt caused by the power price cap.

reddishblue

What about Post Office Telephones, formally known as the GPO.

All paid for by the British tax payer over 100 years ago plus. When the telephone side was privatised by Thatcher. Even though it was it was oversubscribed in the UK by by residents, over 50% was sold exclusively on foreign exchanges such as New York and Tokyo.

In addition, the sales did not take into account the value of the the infrastructure, countless millions/billions have been wasted trying to replicate it.

Stephen Paul

Almost 2 years on and Brexit is still up in the air with Northern Ireland almost at war again over borders

But the people in power know best
Fucking muppets

Kilkenny Blue

Quote from: Stephen Paul on November 20, 2022, 04:45:03
Almost 2 years on and Brexit is still up in the air with Northern Ireland almost at war again over borders

But the people in power know best
Fucking muppets

I've had to stop using UK companies on most of our projects from both a commercial and logistical sense.

Stephen Paul

Quote from: Kilkenny Blue on November 21, 2022, 11:46:16
I've had to stop using UK companies on most of our projects from both a commercial and logistical sense.

not good as its affecting everyone on the island