News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

More - A League Finals

Started by Rowley Birkin QC, May 08, 2015, 11:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowley Birkin QC

Melbourne City v Melbourne Victory play the semi final in Melbourne tonight. Good crowd - good atmosphere, A proper derby!

City very much the under-dog - Victory currently 1-0 up!  :(

goat

Rowley Birkin QC

Now down 2-0  >:(

City were giving it a good go up to then.

goat

till you jinxed it

what do city get out of having a team in oz anyway?

goat

genuine question that, not me being a snarky twot as usual

yank one and japanese link up make sense with the stupid money it will bring in

young players from the ais and them will be a ballache with work permits

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: goat on May 08, 2015, 11:25:51
till you jinxed it

I seem to jinx a lot of things these days - I should keep quiet...

Quote from: goat on May 08, 2015, 11:25:51
what do city get out of having a team in oz anyway?

The chance to put a team into the much watched Asian Champions League. Remember, it's all about profile with our Arab Friends.

goat

ahhhh, i did think about oz magically being asian but didnt think of their champs league

samoa city in the ofc champs league next

Rowley Birkin QC

And the Australian teams have don quite well in the Asian Champions League over the past three years. Some big money starting to flow into the Asian competition.

And... I would not be too quick to write of the chances of the A League uncovering the odd gem. Football is the sleeping giant of Australian sport in an increasingly multi-cultural country. There's plenty of potential talent out there waiting to be discovered. I don't think there will be too many complaints if Melbourne City feed us the next Tim Cahill or Marcus Bresciano.

goat

do aussies do much in it tho? can honestly say ive never seen any of that cup, for some reason i assumed japan and korea had it all between them

goat

well you answered that before i even asked, must be handy living in the future kenny

goat

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on May 08, 2015, 11:42:20

And... I would not be too quick to write of the chances of the A League uncovering the odd gem.

i didnt write it off, its the work permits that will be the problem. i know the sports schools they do there churn out high quality

how often was bresciano linked with city back in the day

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: goat on May 08, 2015, 11:43:40
well you answered that before i even asked, must be handy living in the future kenny

:D

Western Sydney Wanderers won it last year.

Fair point about the work permits, but these things (as we know) are not insurmountable.

goat

Quote from: Rowley Birkin QC on May 08, 2015, 11:47:07
Quote from: goat on May 08, 2015, 11:43:40

:D

Western Sydney Wanderers won it last year.

Fair point about the work permits, but these things (as we know) are not insurmountable.

you can do your bit for city kenny, get these kids adopted

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: goat on May 08, 2015, 11:44:29
how often was bresciano linked with city back in the day

More times than I can remember. Looked to be very much on at one point. I wanted us to get him.

Rowley Birkin QC

goat

biggest crowd outside of the final apparently

aye he was quality

if you get bored you can put together an all aussie team thats played over here ken, tiatto and muscat at the back would be fun

Rowley Birkin QC

Typical (Melbourne) City...

City have created a host of promising half chances (and better) and nothing to show for it, while Victory have had just two shots on target and scored off both of them!

goat

how does it work moving the other way, i know they let you and nimrod in so cant be that fussy  :D, can city send a load of kids over there on loan to get a tan?

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: goat on May 08, 2015, 11:51:34
if you get bored you can put together an all aussie team thats played over here ken, tiatto and muscat at the back would be fun

A host of red cards waiting to happen there  :D

Quote from: goat on May 08, 2015, 11:55:00
how does it work moving the other way, i know they let you and nimrod in so cant be that fussy  :D, can city send a load of kids over there on loan to get a tan?

Don't see why not? They let all those Aussies working in London pubs in.

goat

bet there will be a massive queue to swap a loan in norway or sweden for a beach in oz

Rowley Birkin QC

City not having a lot of luck here. Lost three players to injury now (two of them key) and a Victory player who should have certainly seen a second yellow. Still having a go though... It should be remembered they weren't even expected to make the finals. Not a bad effort in their first season as part of the Manchester City extended family.

goat

did villa make much difference when he was there?

Rowley Birkin QC

not a lot. Wasn't here long enough.

Rowley Birkin QC

One way traffic now sadly.

Victory have just brought on much loved veteran Archie Thompson. Always a ball of energy - he's like the Paul Dickov of Australian football. Irritates the shit out of everyone, but pops up with vital goals all over the place and you can't help but like him.

Rowley Birkin QC

There you go - Archie won't get many tap-ins easier than that though.

zacc

Having spent winter months in Malaysia have got to see how much footy from Oz is shown.
The Asian cup for a start is wall to wall in all the countries round that area.
We have access to PL matches live & repeats for the week following better coverage than we get back 'ear in Blighty.
So can imagine City connection with Melbourne will get the " brand" City even more into the Asia psyche.

gavin

Shame but it is only just beginning.

Swiss

Don't forget a lot of (ex-euro) Ozzies still have relatives over here!