News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

European Clubs’ Association Board

Started by KunDB, September 07, 2023, 12:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

KunDB

Saw this on the BBC this morning. This is imo a significant breakthrough for City, as the ECA dictates many of the regulations that have been anti-City. Not surprising given Daniel Levy and Arsenal Chief Executive were the PL representatives on it.

Man City's Soriano voted onto ECA Board

By: Simon Stone

Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano has been voted onto the powerful European Clubs' Association Board.

Soriano had been an observer for the last two seasons after Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy took the Premier League spot.

But Soriano has now taken that role, joining Arsenal chief executive Vinai Venkatesham and Celtic chair Peter Lawwell, who had previously been appointed to the Board, which has been expanded to take into account the ECA's own expansion to over 450 clubs.

The move strengthens City's position within European football at a time when they are still facing 115 Premier League charges over various financial and technical rule breaches which leave them open to huge potential punishments, including being stripped of their titles, even if few actually think that will happen.

Miguel Angel Gil, chief executive of former European Super League club Atletico Madrid, has been confirmed as ECA's second representative on UEFA's executive committee, joining ECA chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi.

Washington Spirit and Olympique Lyonnais Feminin owner Michele Kang has been voted as one of the two women's subdivision representatives, along with Sparta Prague's Martina Pavlova.

gavin

I'm not sure that I like us to be one of the establishment. But we have already seen that City are now quite supportive of FFP.

KunDB

I do not want us to become a member of the rat pack (8 clubs & more), but I am glad we can now seek to stop attacks from source.

I believe that our PL charges case may signal the end of FFP and twisted distorted regulations, at least I remain in hope that it will.

Story Link

gavin

FFP should definitely be completely ditched. It is a complete mess and not the right target for regulation anyway. If anything should be targetted for regulation it is debt. But that would probably just end in a mess anyway.

reddishblue

There are a lot of clubs in debt, thank fuck City are not one of them.

gavin

CFG have loans

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mancity-debt-loan-accounts-borson-21130764

But my impression is that it's to finance the stadium projects in Manchester and New York rather than to run the club whilst the owners have a money tap.

gavin

United were bought with the debt put on them and ever since money has been drained through interest and profit to the Glazers. Good for us but I don't think that it is good for football. I'd consider debt to build a stand or stadium reasonable though. This is why regulation is hard.