News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Reasons not to come to Oz

Started by nimrod, June 27, 2015, 08:36:54

Previous topic - Next topic

zacc

Quote from: nimrod on July 01, 2015, 23:37:09
Quote from: zacc on July 01, 2015, 10:39:07
only reason I go to Oz is to visit my family which is just a 10 hour hop from Malaysia!!  ::)
Not hard to work out the white population are descended from criminals, mad Irish,Scots and probably a few Welshies
  8)

10 hours cazz I can do it in 7 from Singapore are you on some kind of budget airline

Coming from Kota Kinabau which adds couple of hours  whoever you fly with.

Dizzy

Quote from: BongoBlue on July 02, 2015, 05:28:45
Yeah Oz is expensive but I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat.

Me too Bongo - I loved every minute I was there.   :)

BongoBlue

Quote from: Dizzy on July 02, 2015, 21:34:14

Would go back in a heartbeat Dizz. Nimmers, it is expensive but I would hate to tell you what I pay in property and excise tax in the US right now. Income tax is still not too bad but they get you in so many other ways over here.

I will be retiring to a nice cheap Central American country when the time comes. I have the lingo even. Well almost...;)

goat

nimrod

Quote from: Dizzy on July 02, 2015, 21:34:14

Im studying the dreamtime Dizz, aboriginal artifacs and long told stories. My family however are considering having me committed to some kind of institution.  ;D

Here is the story of Barramundi

Long ago in the dreamtime, there were no fish, so the people lived on animals, roots and berries. They were all quite content. That is except Boodi and Yalima; for they wanted to marry. But the tribe insisted that Yalima marry one of the old men, to look after him. Boodi and Yalima decided to run away, and so they did. Now, to go against the Elders of the tribe is breaking the law, and is punishable by death, so soon the men of the tribe began hunting them.

They ran on and on, although they became very tired, they had to keep running. Eventually, they came to the edge of the land, where the water began and they knew that to survive, they would have to fight.

With the angry tribe descending on them, they quickly gathered wood, and made as many spears as they could . But the tribesman were too many, and soon the spears were all gone. Boodi turned to his beloved Yalima and said, "for us to be together forever, we must go into the water to live." And so they did.

They are still there in the shape of the Barramundi hiding amongst the logs and reeds.

There were hundreds of aboriginal dialects, Im learning the core language but progress is slow as there isnt a core really

badagarang is the eastern grey kangaroo and wulaba is the rock wallaby

Australia’s language is interspersed with words that come from Aboriginal languages. Today around 400 words are in common usage which come from 80 different Aboriginal languages. Most of these words are used to describe flora and fauna or other “things”.

A survey of newspapers in July 2007 found that the most common Aboriginal word is ‘kangaroo’, followed by ‘wallaby’ (which might be influenced by the rugby team of the same name), ‘waratah’ (also a rugby team), ‘koala’, ‘billabong’, ‘kookaburra’, ‘dingo’ and ‘wombat’.
Not surprisingly, all of these words come from a language spoken in the area of Sydney and surrounds where they were adopted early on in Australia’s history.

Winba duru Dizz

reddishblue

I'm shit at throwing boomerangs.

nimrod

Dizzy

Quote from: nimrod on July 03, 2015, 12:50:23

Winba duru Dizz
Winba duru to you too Nimmers.

I think I want to live in Oz because I can't - if that makes sense!  Too old - they only want youngsters with trades it seems. ..... But when I was in Melbourne, in partic, there were kerbillions of Chinese - do they have a better chance to emigrate than Poms?

The Blue Blooded Maniac