News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

Manchester connections

Started by clevblue, July 06, 2015, 15:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

clevblue

This has probably been done on here before, but it's strange sometimes how people get connected with Manchester and City especially. When I retired I did my family history and we aren't Mancs, although I was born in Crumpsall my Dad was born in Rochdale, and his Dad in Warrington. On my mother's side two generations were in Ancoats after coming here as Irish immigrants. My Dad and Grandad were both United fans, but my uncle was a blue and used to take me to Maine Road - and that was that. Thanks, uncle Billy!

What are your Manchester connections?

Swiss

My old man was born in manc in '47. His brother was a Utd fan and they didn't get on so... he started supporting City  8) and then moved down south with work.

Victoria

Both parents born in Manchester, extended family all 'blue' not a Rag in sight  :)

The Blue Blooded Maniac

East Manchester born and raised on a playground is where I spent most of my days, chillin out, maxin, relaxin......

goat

fresh pest of bellend eh

my old man worked up there, at about 5 i wasnt allowed to stay home so had to go an all. ended up watching city...twats

bluebrendan

My maternal grandad and mum were blues, my grandad grew up roughly where Alan Turing Way is today. My mum was Salford-born, as was my dad - whose parents were immigrants from County Carlow in Ireland - and myself. My dad was really a Celtic fan at heart but would watch either United or City if he got the chance as he worked most Saturdays.

My sister is a United S/T holder as are two of her grown-up kids. Derbies have been fun times in recent seasons as you can imagine - apart from the last one!

Rowley Birkin QC

Can't quite claim to be a true Manc. I'm a north Cheshire boy - born in the spare room of my gran's house near Poynton.

Lived in the same area for the first decade or so, underneath the Vulcan Bomber flight-path in and out of Woodford. Dad (who was from Saddleworth) worked for Quicks ("for Ford") in the city for several years. Mum was a Manchester Royal Infirmary nurse until she married Dad. Earlier this year I took her over to the UK for her 60th Anniversary Reunion Dinner of all her old nursing pals. ...And we took Dad's ashes over with us on his last journey.

For work reasons we moved to south Derbyshire in the 1970's and I never got to live in the North West again - eventually migrating to Australia in the mid 1990's. But the Manchester connection has always remained strong and I still have some close family scattered across the Greater Manchester area. These days I only get to revisit Manchester on very rare occasions, but when I do it is always a pleasure - like catching up with a very old familiar friend. Strangely comforting in many ways - I always feel relaxed and at home there.

nimrod

Grandad was Irish (so he was) came to Manc for work, other Grandad from Ashton, had greengrocers, both parents grew up in Stalybridge, I Grew up here in Stalybridge, in the hills & mill chimneys 8 miles from City centre. Big brother supported City so I did. I also supported Stalybridge Celtic.

The town is famous for 3 things;
Longest name pub in Britain
Shortest name pub in Britain
The song 'Its a long way to Tipperary' was written in a Stalybridge pub

Stalybridge in the 50's (not really a holiday destination)

Lekos

Born in Athens, Greek Dad and Manc Mum.  We all came to UK when I was 5 and lived in Manc for a year (Gorton) before the old man got a job in London and we moved to Milton Keynes.

My mum's three brothers were all Reds, but her Dad was a blue.  Joined forces with him to even up the numbers a bit, and the rest is history.

My nan and two of my uncles still live in Gorton.  Very wholesome place...

gavin

My Grandad lived near Maine Road for a while but favoured the rags for some reason. Both sides of my family have been living in or around Greater Manchester, mainly Marple, Romiley area for as long as I know about. For a number of years we have lived just outside Greater Manchester in Derbyshire though. Having said that, most days all I have to do is walk 5 minutes down the road to see a very distant Etihad Stadium. It was a bit hazy during my walk after work today but I could still make it out. Yes, you can see the Etihad Stadium from Derbyshire.

nimrod

Quote from: gavin on July 10, 2015, 20:26:03
My Grandad lived near Maine Road for a while but favoured the rags for some reason. Both sides of my family have been living in or around Greater Manchester, mainly Marple, Romiley area for as long as I know about. For a number of years we have lived just outside Greater Manchester in Derbyshire though. Having said that, most days all I have to do is walk 5 minutes down the road to see a very distant Etihad Stadium. It was a bit hazy during my walk after work today but I could still make it out. Yes, you can see the Etihad Stadium from Derbyshire.

you in Glossop Gav ?

gavin

nimrod

reddishblue

Entered the world in Droylesden. Brought up in Wythenshawe/Hazel Grove. Travelled a bit. Now in Reddish.

The Blue Blooded Maniac

Born n bred in Droylsdump me!

goat

hmmm
reddish might be pestys dad

The Blue Blooded Maniac

And the real reddish can be my wifey :p

Paul lakes knee

None whatsoever (except when I lived there for a few years in my mid 20s- but that was just to be near City- sad bastard)

Stephen Paul

None either , family all blues through and through , strange though , my father was a spurs fan ! Yet all three sons are City fans