News:

When using this site you agree to cookies being used to support forum functions only.

Main Menu

City Down Under News

Started by nimrod, July 12, 2015, 01:55:24

Previous topic - Next topic

nimrod

Cant believe I'll be watching City on Saturday

first time in 4.5 years

and only 40 mins from home

Rowley Birkin QC

All being well, I'm going to the Roma game in Melbourne.

nimrod

My lad is going to Melbourne to watch them play Real Madrid

I was gonna go but Melbourne is too cold for me

Swiss

30 degree's winter thermals for you?

I stepped off the plane in Perth to see the locals in jeans and jumpers... it was 29C

shandon

Quote from: nimrod on July 13, 2015, 01:29:37

Are the City games sold out?

nimrod

Having a cold blast in Southern Oz atm

Melbourne is freezing

How cold is it Ken?

nimrod

Quote from: shandon on July 13, 2015, 01:44:44
Quote from: nimrod on July 13, 2015, 01:29:37

Are the City games sold out?

ckeck online you lazy sod  ticketek innit?

shandon

I already have a ticket for one of the games, I was just curious as to how many people will be there  8)

BongoBlue

Have fun chaps.

I am going to see our sister club on Saturday night play my local team here in Boston:  New England Revolution vs NYCFC. And it looks like it may be Super Frank Lampard's debut too.  :D

Looking forward to it. Some of the Boston MCFC Supporters club will be there too. To be clear however, the Revs are my local team and I will be cheering for them; albeit with my City hat on...

shandon

Sergio Aguero, Pablo Zabaleta and Martin Demichelis are not making the trip.

zacc

Quote from: nimrod on July 12, 2015, 23:56:24

first time in 4.5 years

Have a fabbers time hun

nimrod

Quote from: zacc on July 13, 2015, 12:00:34
Quote from: nimrod on July 12, 2015, 23:56:24

first time in 4.5 years

Have a fabbers time hun

cheers duck

Rowley Birkin QC

Quote from: nimrod on July 13, 2015, 01:45:27
How cold is it Ken?

It's cold.

Quote from: shandon on July 13, 2015, 02:56:03
Sergio Aguero, Pablo Zabaleta and Martin Demichelis are not making the trip.

Yes, for me this has been a bit of a disappointment. I know it's only a pre-season friendly, but I would have liked to go to my grave saying I'd seen the wonderful Aguero play live just once.  :(

goat

if anything bites sergio i wont be happy

keep all sharks, crocs and kens away from him

bry the guy

Sub titles would be good on Yaya interviews.

Swiss

Surprised noones mentioned the game against Adelaide!

City won 2-0
Barker and Zucculini scored.

bluebrendan

goat

what kind of kick off time is 8 in the fuckin morning

Rowley Birkin QC

Now you know how we feel down here! Getting up at fecking 3am every weekend to watch City!

goat

3 am is alright, you can finish your night off at the disco, get a curry and watch city

shandon

Then go to work a few hours later?  :)

goat

shandon

If you did that for every Sunday game during the season they might get a bit suspicious.

Rowley Birkin QC

Always buggers me when we play on Sundays. Wandering around work like a coffee fuelled zombie for the rest of Monday.

Customer told me today City were going to do an open training session at one of my local grounds next week. Got quite excited, but I think he's talking bollocks. Can't find any evidence of it on the web.   

Swiss

Any good? Can't watch at work

Rowley Birkin QC

The Adelaide game Swiss? Don't know - didn't get a chance to see it.

Meanwhile our Vinnie has been doing a bit of cross code diplomacy and meeting Garry Ablett Jr (Arguably Aussie rules' best player at the moment - plays for the Gold Coast Suns).

http://bcove.me/ueuu4c2o

Love the "I like tackles" line  :D

Rowley Birkin QC

Just sitting down to watch us play Melbourne City. We're starting with -

Caballero,
Maffeo, Kompany, Humphreys, Clichy
Fernando, Yaya, Garcia
Navas, Barker, Nasri

Rowley Birkin QC

Pre-match interview with Sterling. Seems pretty relaxed with everything. Not playing this evening - too soon off the plane.

Rowley Birkin QC

Pretty good crowd. Plenty of City shirts and banners. Not spotted Nimmers yet  :D (this one is being played up on the Gold Coast - not in Melbourne)

The Melbourne keeper is miked-up for sound, so we look forward to hearing some French swearing from Nasri

[edit]

new shirts look OK-ish... at least with the white shorts

The Blue Blooded Maniac

I shit a breeze block when I saw Garcia!

Rowley Birkin QC

:D  Wrong one! He looks a good prospect

Rowley Birkin QC

Half time 0-0

You wouldn't call this high intensity, but not without some entertainment value. Yaya free kick hit the cross bar (he's pretty much running things for us). Nasri had a couple of good half chances. We've kept the Melbourne keeper busy. Navas' delivery still leaves a bit to be desired...

Melbourne are having a go on the break - not bad for a team playing their first pre-season match. They missed an absolute sitter and forced one finger tip save from Caballero. We look a bit shaky at the back. Maffeo looks interesting.

gavin

Just dragged myself out of my pit. Glad to see Sky have some guys talking over Bosnich. Looks like there were chances at both ends first half with a missed sitter from a Melbourne guy.

Rowley Birkin QC

Second half starts with Horsfield on for Maffeo

Rowley Birkin QC

Zuculini on for Fernando
Pozo on for Garcia

Rowley Birkin QC

gavin

Well done Samir, eventually. He's had a few half chances and finally a lovely finish.

Rowley Birkin QC

Yes - good goal.

This half has not been quite as good as the first - largely due to Yaya dropping a lot deeper and not so threatening. And to be fair, Melbourne have been better organised defensively this half and they've shut Navas down.

Evans on for Yaya

Rowley Birkin QC

Oh - and Fafana for Nasri

Rowley Birkin QC

We win 1-0

Not a bad work out. Nasri took his goal very well. Hard to draw any serious conclusions from that.

Bosnich currently interviewing Yaya...

Rowley Birkin QC

Manuel Garcia looked promising - some nice touches

KunDB

Damn I missed it............bad start to my day.

gavin

Mainly kids playing with a few first teamers. More 'serious' friendlies next week but still a good run out for a few and always nice to win any game.

goat

have the aussies replaced villa as the fancy player?

nimrod

Didnt enjoy the game tbh, good atmosphere though, Navas is shit

all in all a bit disappointing

gavin

Friendlies innit, they are rarely a competitive, enjoyable spectacle especially early on. The lads are just getting a run out at this stage.

bluebrendan

I'm not his biggest fan but I don't understand the criticism of Navas in today's game, I thought he did well. Pellegrini's oddball idea of starting with a winger as central striker and leaving 3 strikers on the bench meant Navas had nobody to aim his crosses at most of the time as Barker's movement in the central role not surprisingly left a bit to be desired and nobody seemed keen on making decent early runs from midfield into the box in the first half so Navas ended up either having to shoot or cut back and wait for a pass to become available.

Positives were Maffeo and Garcia, both good prospects, Barker looked much better on the wing and Nasri was more interested than usual.

All in all a typical pre-season work-out, not worth paying much to watch but it got me out of bed early for a Saturday!  :D

nimrod

Quote from: gavin on July 18, 2015, 12:52:16
Mainly kids playing with a few first teamers. More 'serious' friendlies next week but still a good run out for a few and always nice to win any game.

always puzzles me this, if they do these tours to win fans & PR etc, why do they play all these unknown kids, they only play this one game in Queensland and they do this?
This game would not create many fans and the existing fans felt let down by the selections/formations, It was a disappointing game people were pretty bored by HT so I dont see the PR in it.

Were not a big club here, on Friday night the dippers played Brisbane Roar in Brisbane and the whole of Brisbane seems to be decked out in red all day, Liverpool, like our swampy friends are huge here

Rowley Birkin QC

Bloody hell - I wasn't bored at all (and I was watching on TV). I enjoyed taking a look at some of the youngsters.

These games aren't just about promotion and kit sales though are they? Certainly that's part of it, but from the manager's perspective it's a chance to give everyone a run out and assess fitness etc. So it's always going to be a bit of a mash up. It is what it is.

,,,and we'd be as 'huge' as the bindippers as well down here if we'd not been so cripplingly mismanaged and run during the 1980's and most of the 90's.

Here in Melbourne, the Real Madrid v City game at the MCG is a sell out (interestingly last night's Real v Roma game wasn't... so City a bigger draw than Roma?)  They're expecting close to 100,000 for Real v City - and while the majority will no doubt be there to watch Real I predict there will be a significant swathe of sky blue around the crowd. For Tuesday night's City v Roma game the crowd will be in excess of 60,000. The local City supporters branch seem well organised - all sorts of events on. You Queenslanders are fecking lightweights  ;)